Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to Download MS Office Templates

Unable to Download MS Office Templates

Duane Arnold

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9599E4209EDA7notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>| "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in news:rchjd.7098$O11.5516
>| @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
>|

>| > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| > news:Xns9599DFB973985notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>| >
>| > Thank you for your trouble also .... something is wrong, because I
>| > was able to download a bunch of templates before... can't remember
>| > when it stopped doing so. The only recent things I do to my machine
>| > is "updates" to anti-spyware's, anti-virus, and firewalls...
>| >

>| That's why I like to be behind a NAT router that provides the
>| protection like a FW that's sits in front of the machine and is a
>| standalone appliance. That way I can disable everything on the
>| machine like FW and other software that could be causing issues and
>| do what I have to do to complete something.
>|
>| As a matter of fact, the only thing I have on the machines that I run
>| on a routine basis is the AV and (sparingly AD-Aware).
>|
>| You can get a NAT router that has little or no configuration on your
>| part for $50 or less.
>|
>| http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
>|
>| Duane
>|

> Kelly is on Earthlink, which is usually dial-up. A router wouldn't be
> much help <g>. But I agree...I seldom need to run any malware checks
> since I have an excellent hosts file, up-to-date AV, and a wireless
> router with NAT (and WEP and MAC address blocking too)

There are routers that are dial-up ready like D-Link and SMC. I think
Linksys has one as well. I don't see why they wouldn't work on Earthlink.

Duane

Kelly

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Okay - yes, IE tools, Internet options, advanced, scroll down to
> Security.
> If there are no checkmarks in front of "Allow active content..." then
> check
> those and try again.
> Even with THAT done, IE pops up a blue line right below the toolbar
> that
> says "This site might require the following ActiveX Control:..." with
> "Click
> here to install..."

The security part where it says "allow content to run ....." "allow
content to install ....." I checked just now because it was indeed
un-checked.... however, it still does the same thing - nothing
happens.... no blue line to install activeX. I'll need to rely on
manual downloads (as you did) but don't know how you did it..... or how
do I allow activeX although it's rather unsafe..... I need to downloads
templates for my work. I wasn't even sent to a page where it gave me an
option to download manually.....

Kelly

"Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in message
news:zChjd.19913$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
> The security part where it says "allow content to run ....." "allow
> content to install ....." I checked just now because it was indeed
> un-checked.... however, it still does the same thing - nothing
> happens.... no blue line to install activeX. I'll need to rely on
> manual downloads (as you did) but don't know how you did it..... or
> how do I allow activeX although it's rather unsafe..... I need to
> downloads templates for my work. I wasn't even sent to a page where it
> gave me an option to download manually.....

Ugh... forgive my grammar... long day at work hehehe

Toolman Tim

news:Xns9599E5CEC444Dnotmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
| news:(E-Mail Removed):
|

| > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| > news:Xns9599E4209EDA7notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
| >| "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in news:rchjd.7098$O11.5516
| >| @newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:
| >|

| >|
| >| That's why I like to be behind a NAT router that provides the
| >| protection like a FW that's sits in front of the machine and is a
| >| standalone appliance. That way I can disable everything on the
| >| machine like FW and other software that could be causing issues and
| >| do what I have to do to complete something.
| >|
| >| As a matter of fact, the only thing I have on the machines that I run
| >| on a routine basis is the AV and (sparingly AD-Aware).
| >|
| >| You can get a NAT router that has little or no configuration on your
| >| part for $50 or less.
| >|
| >| http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-NAT.asp
| >|
| >| Duane
| >|

| > Kelly is on Earthlink, which is usually dial-up. A router wouldn't be
| > much help <g>. But I agree...I seldom need to run any malware checks
| > since I have an excellent hosts file, up-to-date AV, and a wireless
| > router with NAT (and WEP and MAC address blocking too)
| >

| There are routers that are dial-up ready like D-Link and SMC. I think
| Linksys has one as well. I don't see why they wouldn't work on Earthlink.
|

| Duane

Really? If the modem is in the computer, how does the signal on the phone
line get out to a router then back into the computer? Just wondering - I've
not really got a need, but I have this insatiable curiosity <g>

Kelly

news:Xns9599E5CEC444Dnotmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
> There are routers that are dial-up ready like D-Link and SMC. I think
> Linksys has one as well. I don't see why they wouldn't work on
> Earthlink.
>
> Duane

Thank you I bookmarked this site. I'll need an extra boost of
vitamins to boost my brain power hehehe. It sounds very good as I am
tired of re-configuring just to bypass the settings... great link!

Toolman Tim

"Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in message
news:yFhjd.19914$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...

| "Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in message
| news:zChjd.19913$(E-Mail Removed) hlink.net...
| > The security part where it says "allow content to run ....." "allow
| > content to install ....." I checked just now because it was indeed
| > un-checked.... however, it still does the same thing - nothing
| > happens.... no blue line to install activeX. I'll need to rely on
| > manual downloads (as you did) but don't know how you did it..... or
| > how do I allow activeX although it's rather unsafe..... I need to
| > downloads templates for my work. I wasn't even sent to a page where it
| > gave me an option to download manually.....
|
| Ugh... forgive my grammar... long day at work hehehe

I understand the long days...and you've been doing a good job expressing
yourself. Full works, punctuation, capitalization, etc. Some people reading
these posts either 1) skip those which are poorly written, 2) blast the
poster, or 3) whine about it <g>

I know exactly what you're saying...but I'm afraid I'm pretty much out of
suggestions. Wait! I have ONE more! I did a search at the Office downloads
site for "all templates". You could revise that search term (like search for
calendars, or templates for Word, etc.)

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/re...templates&App=

G. Morgan

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 04:52:30 GMT "Kelly"
used 13 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>Thank you I bookmarked this site. I'll need an extra boost of
>vitamins to boost my brain power hehehe. It sounds very good as I am
>tired of re-configuring just to bypass the settings... great link!

Don't forget to re-enable your firewall. Your IP address was
transmitted in your posts.

--
-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

Duane Arnold

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9599E5CEC444Dnotmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>| news:(E-Mail Removed):
>|

>| > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| > news:Xns9599E4209EDA7notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>| >|

>| >|
>| >|
>| >|
>| >|
>| >|
>| >|

>| > Kelly is on Earthlink, which is usually dial-up. A router wouldn't
>| > be much help <g>. But I agree...I seldom need to run any malware
>| > checks since I have an excellent hosts file, up-to-date AV, and a
>| > wireless router with NAT (and WEP and MAC address blocking too)
>| >

>| There are routers that are dial-up ready like D-Link and SMC. I think
>| Linksys has one as well. I don't see why they wouldn't work on
>| Earthlink.
>|
>| Duane
>
> Really? If the modem is in the computer, how does the signal on the
> phone line get out to a router then back into the computer? Just
> wondering - I've not really got a need, but I have this insatiable
> curiosity <g>

You get a dial-up modem that is not internal to the computer and use it.
You connect the router to the modem. The router has RJ45 LAN jacks
just like any other router. You connect a machine to the router and you
tell the router to dial. That's what a guy I work with did when he lived
so far out that he could only have dial-up and he wanted to share the
connection with the other members of his household. It's something like
that I am not sure but it's being done. He had a D-Link. Now, he has got
DSL.

Duane

Kelly

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 04:52:30 GMT "Kelly"
> used 13 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
>>Thank you I bookmarked this site. I'll need an extra boost of
>>vitamins to boost my brain power hehehe. It sounds very good as I am
>>tired of re-configuring just to bypass the settings... great link!

> Don't forget to re-enable your firewall. Your IP address was
> transmitted in your posts.
> -Graham
> Remove the 'snails' from my email

lol! I did re-enable very quickly, infact I hope it's not still
showing - need to reboot maybe? This is my first time here, and I'm
fairly new to Newsgroups in general (only posted a few times in other
groups.) I am impressed with the knowledge and help that is available
here! Wow. Still.... very concerned that I am unable to allow activeX. I
even tried to insert "directdownload.aspx?AssetID= etc.," after
templates, but no go ... oh well, there goes manual downloads, and
trying to impress my boss - :0

Duane Arnold

"Kelly" <kelly@NoTo*spam.com> wrote in news:iShjd.19921$KJ6.1085
@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9599E5CEC444Dnotmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>> There are routers that are dial-up ready like D-Link and SMC. I think
>> Linksys has one as well. I don't see why they wouldn't work on
>> Earthlink.
>>
>> Duane

> Thank you I bookmarked this site. I'll need an extra boost of
> vitamins to boost my brain power hehehe. It sounds very good as I am
> tired of re-configuring just to bypass the settings... great link!

You are welcomw.

Duane

Monster Templates - Question about Submitting Templates Fred HTML 1 09-26-2005 01:09 AM
Templates templates templates JKop C++ 3 07-21-2004 11:44 AM
using templates in templates John Harrison C++ 8 07-31-2003 12:00 PM

Advertisments