Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > C:\WINNT\System32

C:\WINNT\System32

Alasdair Baxter

I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.

When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
icons/shortcuts.

It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
stopped with the desktop in place.

Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.

--

Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

"It's not what you say that matters but how you say it.
It's not what you do that matters but how you do it"

Duane Arnold

Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
>
> When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
> routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
> icons/shortcuts.
>
> It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
> before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
> stopped with the desktop in place.
>
> Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
> can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
> suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
> scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.

It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has been
placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way. Or
somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or looked at by
the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the Win 2K O/S, has
and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see how you can get a
version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K O/S.

That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the start
process.

Duane

why?

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:21:57 +0000, Alasdair Baxter wrote:

>I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
>
>When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
>routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
>icons/shortcuts.
>
>It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
>before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
>stopped with the desktop in place.
>
>Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
>can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
>suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
>scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.

You could try www.google.com or searching 24HSHD from Google Groups.

That Computer Guy's Help Forum -> system 32 window opens at start ...
.... 25-October 04 Member No.: 5,654, Hi, The system 32 folder opens
every time I ... Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe C ...
http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/ind...ew=getlastpost
- 55k - Cached - Similar pages

PC Magazine: Windows Explorer Displays System32 Folder at Start-Up
.... I don't know whether my problem is related to the new additions, but
when I start up now, the C:\WINNT\System32 folder opens automatically.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl.../ai_ziff113683 - 18k -
Cached - Similar pages

Windows2000 Tips
.... System32 Folder Opens When Logging On. ... If the System32 folder
shows on the desktop, there may ... Change the "My Computer" at end of
@C:\WINNT\system32\shell32.dll ...
www.onecomputerguy.com/windows2000_tips.htm - 32k - Cached - Similar
pages

There may also be an MS article for this.

That wasn't too difficult.

Me

Rosita

news:Xns9599C2ED3A642notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
> Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
>>
>> When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
>> routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
>> icons/shortcuts.
>>
>> It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
>> before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
>> stopped with the desktop in place.
>>
>> Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
>> can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
>> suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
>> scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.
>>

> It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has been
> placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way. Or
> somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or looked at by
> the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the Win 2K O/S, has
> and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see how you can get a
> version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K O/S.
>
> That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the start
> process.
>
> Duane

I joined this group to post my same exact problem as Baxter. I have WinXP
and i went into my Start-up folder and i saw that there was a folder named
WINDOWS, it is empty. Should i remove it so the /System32 won't show up when
i turn on my computer?

Thanks,
Rosa

Duane Arnold

"Rosita" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9599C2ED3A642notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>> Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
>>>
>>> When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the
>>> usual routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
>>> icons/shortcuts.
>>>
>>> It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
>>> before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
>>> stopped with the desktop in place.
>>>
>>> Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what
>>> I can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up?
>>> I suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I
>>> am scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.
>>>

>> It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has
>> been placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way.
>> Or somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or
>> looked at by the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the
>> Win 2K O/S, has and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see
>> how you can get a version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K
>> O/S.
>>
>> That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the
>> start process.
>>
>> Duane

> I joined this group to post my same exact problem as Baxter. I have
> WinXP and i went into my Start-up folder and i saw that there was a
> folder named WINDOWS, it is empty. Should i remove it so the /System32
> won't show up when i turn on my computer?
>
> Thanks,
> Rosa

What should be in the Start-up folder are programs or short-cuts to other
programs you want started when you logon the computer. Take as an example
if you're using Outlook. You can take the short-cut for Outlook Express
and copy/paste it into the Start-up folder and Outlook Express will be
stated and waiting for you by the time you get to the desktop or shortly
there after. You should delete the Windows folder in the Start-up folder
if it's empty it should not be there. That would be in All Users and your
account nodes under the Document and Settings node when you right-click
the Start-button and select Explorer.

Duane

Eric

news:Xns959A1037E47F0notmenotmecom@204.127.204.17. ..
> "Rosita" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>

> > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns9599C2ED3A642notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
> >> Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed):

> >> It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has
> >> been placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way.
> >> Or somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or
> >> looked at by the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the
> >> Win 2K O/S, has and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see
> >> how you can get a version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K
> >> O/S.
> >>
> >> That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the
> >> start process.
> >>
> >> Duane

> > I joined this group to post my same exact problem as Baxter. I have
> > WinXP and i went into my Start-up folder and i saw that there was a
> > folder named WINDOWS, it is empty. Should i remove it so the /System32
> > won't show up when i turn on my computer?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Rosa
> >

> What should be in the Start-up folder are programs or short-cuts to other
> programs you want started when you logon the computer. Take as an example
> if you're using Outlook. You can take the short-cut for Outlook Express
> and copy/paste it into the Start-up folder and Outlook Express will be
> stated and waiting for you by the time you get to the desktop or shortly
> there after. You should delete the Windows folder in the Start-up folder
> if it's empty it should not be there. That would be in All Users and your
> account nodes under the Document and Settings node when you right-click
> the Start-button and select Explorer.
>
> Duane

The same thing happened to our computer at work. The fix I found is to edit
the system registry. Be careful because you can screw things up so back it
up first. I am on a Win98 computer now, so the registry keys I quote below
may be a little off.

You need to run the program regedit. You can do this by going to your menu
bar and click on run. Type in without the quotes, "regedit". When the
registry comes up go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. Click on the "+" to expand the
view. Go to "Software" and expand it. Go to Microsoft and expand it. Go
to Windows and expand it. Go to CurrentVersion and expand it. Now look in
the Run, Runonce and RunServices entries and see if you see an entry to run
"C:\WINNT\System32". That entry is causing the window to open up when your
computer is first started. You can export that registry key and save it
before you delete it in case something goes wrong so you can restore it if
needed.

I believe some kind of update that was installed caused this entry.

Hope that helps,

Eric

Rosita

I went ahead and did the following:

If the System32 folder shows on the desktop, there may be an invalid entry
in the Registry

1.. Start Regedit
2.. Go to both:
3.. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run
4.. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run
5.. Double check that the values do not have incorrect, incomplete, or
blank entries
Ok, here is what i found in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE:

Value 3
Name: <NO NAME>
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: c:\WINDOWS\System32\

here is what i found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER

Value 1
Name: <NO NAME>
Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Data: c:\WINDOWS\System32\

Does this have anything to do with the windows system 32 folder loading up
on my desktop when i turn on my computer? I already checked my start up
folders and deleted one folder that was reading Windows (it was empty),
thought this would work, it didn't. I'm running WinXP. Thanks for everyones
advise.

-Rosa
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 00:21:57 +0000, Alasdair Baxter wrote:
>
>>I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
>>
>>When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
>>routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
>>icons/shortcuts.
>>
>>It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
>>before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
>>stopped with the desktop in place.
>>
>>Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
>>can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
>>suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
>>scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.

> You could try www.google.com or searching 24HSHD from Google Groups.
>
> That Computer Guy's Help Forum -> system 32 window opens at start ...
> ... 25-October 04 Member No.: 5,654, Hi, The system 32 folder opens
> every time I ... Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106) Running processes:
> C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe C ...
> http://forums.thatcomputerguy.us/ind...ew=getlastpost
> - 55k - Cached - Similar pages
>

> PC Magazine: Windows Explorer Displays System32 Folder at Start-Up
> ... I don't know whether my problem is related to the new additions, but
> when I start up now, the C:\WINNT\System32 folder opens automatically.
> http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl.../ai_ziff113683 - 18k -
> Cached - Similar pages
>
> Windows2000 Tips
> ... System32 Folder Opens When Logging On. ... If the System32 folder
> shows on the desktop, there may ... Change the "My Computer" at end of
> @C:\WINNT\system32\shell32.dll ...
> www.onecomputerguy.com/windows2000_tips.htm - 32k - Cached - Similar
> pages
>
> There may also be an MS article for this.
>

> That wasn't too difficult.
>
> Me

Toolman Tim

news:Xns9599C2ED3A642notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
| Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
| news:(E-Mail Removed):
|
| > I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
| >
| > When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the usual
| > routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
| > icons/shortcuts.
| >
| > It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
| > before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
| > stopped with the desktop in place.
| >
| > Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what I
| > can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes up? I
| > suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry but I am
| > scared to change the registry in case I foul it up altogether.
| >

| It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has been
| placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way. Or
| somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or looked at by
| the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the Win 2K O/S, has
| and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see how you can get a
| version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K O/S.
|
| That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the start
| process.

I had a friend bring over a computer recently that was infected with a virus
or trojan or something...I hate to say it but I've forgotten what it was <g>
(old-timers disease?). On his, it was Solitaire starting everytime he booted
the computer. I fought with that for an hour. Eventually, I went on to a
full virus/spyware/adware set of scans and once the "crapware" was gone, so
was the ever-starting Solitaire.

Duane Arnold

"Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns9599C2ED3A642notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>| Alasdair Baxter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>| news:(E-Mail Removed):
>|
>| > I run Windows 2000 on a P3 machine.
>| >
>| > When I switch on the machine in the morning, it goes through the
>| > usual routines and eventually the desktop comes up with all its
>| > icons/shortcuts.
>| >
>| > It then brings up the System32 window which I have to close down
>| > before I can start to work with the machine. Previously, it just
>| > stopped with the desktop in place.
>| >
>| > Do any of the learned people out there know why this is so and what
>| > I can do to revert to the situation where only the desktop comes
>| > up? I suspect it may have something to do with a registry entry
>| > but I am scared to change the registry in case I foul it up
>| > altogether.
>| >

>| It could be that somehow there is short-cut to the folder that has
>| been placed in the Start-up folder and it is being executed that way.
>| Or somehow, the other start-up environment that's configured or
>| looked at by the user using the MSCONFIG command, which is not on the
>| Win 2K O/S, has and entry to the folder. You can use Google to see
>| how you can get a version of MSConfig that will work on the Win 2K
>| O/S.
>|
>| That's some possibilities as to how the folder is showing in the
>| start process.
>|

> I had a friend bring over a computer recently that was infected with a
> virus or trojan or something...I hate to say it but I've forgotten
> what it was <g> (old-timers disease?). On his, it was Solitaire
> starting everytime he booted the computer. I fought with that for an
> hour. Eventually, I went on to a full virus/spyware/adware set of
> scans and once the "crapware" was gone, so was the ever-starting
> Solitaire.

It's the happy fingers that point and click on unknown things that leads
to the compromise. I got people too that are always having issues with
malware.

Duane

Toolman Tim

<snipped>

| > I had a friend bring over a computer recently that was infected with a
| > virus or trojan or something...I hate to say it but I've forgotten
| > what it was <g> (old-timers disease?). On his, it was Solitaire
| > starting everytime he booted the computer. I fought with that for an
| > hour. Eventually, I went on to a full virus/spyware/adware set of
| > scans and once the "crapware" was gone, so was the ever-starting
| > Solitaire.
| >

| It's the happy fingers that point and click on unknown things that leads
| to the compromise. I got people too that are always having issues with
| malware.
|
| Duane

You know what makes it really bad? Usually it's the BOSS! How come these
guys who are half as smart are paid twice as much? It's too bad I didn't
finish college...I could of given these guys a real run for the money ;o)