Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > why wont the clock and microwave stay set!

why wont the clock and microwave stay set!

Brian

we lost power for a few days last weekend. we're now running on a power
genetator.

I now have troubles with my alarm clock radio and microwave. The clocks on
both are now super fast. I just fixed them no more than 9 hours ago last
night, and already the microwave is 16 minutes fast and the alarm clock
radio is 11 minutes fast.

Neither had this trouble prior to our power loss. Is this caused by the
generator use and may be fixed when we get back to standard power? It's very
weird.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Brian wrote:
> we lost power for a few days last weekend. we're now running on a power
> genetator.
>
> I now have troubles with my alarm clock radio and microwave. The clocks on
> both are now super fast. I just fixed them no more than 9 hours ago last
> night, and already the microwave is 16 minutes fast and the alarm clock
> radio is 11 minutes fast.
>
> Neither had this trouble prior to our power loss. Is this caused by the
> generator use and may be fixed when we get back to standard power? It's very
> weird.

I suppose that if the generator isn't running at precisely 60Hz, it
could affect your clocks. Just a guess.

Jim Tiberio

news:R9Pid.42045$(E-Mail Removed)...
> we lost power for a few days last weekend. we're now running on a power
> genetator.
>
> I now have troubles with my alarm clock radio and microwave. The clocks on
> both are now super fast. I just fixed them no more than 9 hours ago last
> night, and already the microwave is 16 minutes fast and the alarm clock
> radio is 11 minutes fast.
>
> Neither had this trouble prior to our power loss. Is this caused by the
> generator use and may be fixed when we get back to standard power? It's

very
> weird.

try these guys, very helpful with household stuff:

alt.home.repair

Muppet

news:R9Pid.42045$(E-Mail Removed)...

>and the alarm clock radio is 11 minutes fast.

Start betting on the horses.You can't lose.

Brian

Mahalo. I posted there and will see what they say

"Jim Tiberio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:R9Pid.42045$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> we lost power for a few days last weekend. we're now running on a power
>> genetator.
>>
>> I now have troubles with my alarm clock radio and microwave. The clocks
>> on
>> both are now super fast. I just fixed them no more than 9 hours ago last
>> night, and already the microwave is 16 minutes fast and the alarm clock
>> radio is 11 minutes fast.
>>
>> Neither had this trouble prior to our power loss. Is this caused by the
>> generator use and may be fixed when we get back to standard power? It's

> very
>> weird.
>>

> try these guys, very helpful with household stuff:
>
> alt.home.repair

BuddhaOK

Right. Most appliances use the 60hz on the AC as a counter to keep
time. Doesn't usually apply to audio/video equipment like vcr's, tv's, etc.

Rgr wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
>> we lost power for a few days last weekend. we're now running on a
>> power genetator.
>>
>> I now have troubles with my alarm clock radio and microwave. The
>> clocks on both are now super fast. I just fixed them no more than 9
>> hours ago last night, and already the microwave is 16 minutes fast and
>> the alarm clock radio is 11 minutes fast.
>>
>> Neither had this trouble prior to our power loss. Is this caused by
>> the generator use and may be fixed when we get back to standard power?
>> It's very weird.

> I suppose that if the generator isn't running at precisely 60Hz, it
> could affect your clocks. Just a guess.

Walter Mautner

Brian wrote:

> we lost power for a few days last weekend. we're now running on a power
> genetator.
>
> I now have troubles with my alarm clock radio and microwave. The clocks on
> both are now super fast. I just fixed them no more than 9 hours ago last
> night, and already the microwave is 16 minutes fast and the alarm clock
> radio is 11 minutes fast.
>
> Neither had this trouble prior to our power loss. Is this caused by the
> generator use and may be fixed when we get back to standard power? It's
> very weird.

Yes, a generator doesn't sync with atomic clocks like the urban powerplants
usually do. So even a *small* difference in frequency (let's say 60.1 Hz
instead of 60, or 50.1 instead of 50) will give a accumulated difference of
about 3 minutes/day for devices which derive their clock from mains
frequency. Be glad the generator doesn't stop working suddenly
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*your*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt*[LinuxCounter#295241]

Not Me

"Brian"

| we lost power for a few days last weekend. we're now running on a power
| generator.
|
| I now have troubles with my alarm clock radio and microwave. The clocks on
| both are now super fast. I just fixed them no more than 9 hours ago last
| night, and already the microwave is 16 minutes fast and the alarm clock
| radio is 11 minutes fast.
|
| Neither had this trouble prior to our power loss. Is this caused by the
| generator use and may be fixed when we get back to standard power? It's
very
| weird.

RPM of your gen set is high. If it's one of the cheaper units should run at
3600 RPM if a better models it should run at 1800 RPM

If you don't have an accurate RPM meter you might try buying a tuning fork
(60 Hz for 3600 rpm, 30 Hz for 1800 RPM).

Place the 'dead' end of the TF on the metal case and adjust the throttle for
maximum vibration on the tuning fork. FWIW a 60 Hz TF *may* work on a 1800
RPM genset but likely not the other way 'round)

I should note that this is for a US standard gen set. Some parts of the
world operate at 50 Hz.

Another way is to set up a standard TV set and watch the screen. If the gen
set is off there *may* be a slight flicker in the picture. Adjust the gen
set until the flicker is gone. (this works ONLY if you have a live station
on the set)