Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help-Failure Notice

Help-Failure Notice

WeeWilly

My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
"failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.

There are no attachments
We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages to...
they are undeliverable.
They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch of
gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
whatever from the newsgroups.

I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test on
Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.

It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none of
mine.

ANY help appreciated.

Thanks

--
Bill

Smoker

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
> "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
>
> There are no attachments

> We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages

to... they are undeliverable.

What does that mean?

> They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch of
> gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
> whatever from the newsgroups.
>
> I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test on
> Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
>
> It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none of
> mine.
>
> ANY help appreciated.

Why not ask your provider?

Timo

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
> "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
>
> There are no attachments
> We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages
> to... they are undeliverable.
> They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch of
> gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
> whatever from the newsgroups.
>
> I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test on
> Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
>
> It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none of
> mine.
>
> ANY help appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Bill

Its SPAM.

Stickems

They are viruses, don't open the attachments.

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
| "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
|
| There are no attachments
| We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages
to...
| they are undeliverable.
| They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch of
| gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
| whatever from the newsgroups.
|
| I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test on
| Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
|
| It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none of
| mine.
|
| ANY help appreciated.
|
| Thanks
|
| --
| Bill

WeeWilly

Thanks Stickems.. but there are NO attachments..

"Stickems" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:GwQid.121$(E-Mail Removed)...
> They are viruses, don't open the attachments.
>
> "WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> | My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
> | "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
> |
> | There are no attachments
> | We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages
> to...
> | they are undeliverable.
> | They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch
> of
> | gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
> | whatever from the newsgroups.
> |
> | I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test
> on
> | Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
> |
> | It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none
> of
> | mine.
> |
> | ANY help appreciated.
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | --
> | Bill

trout

WeeWilly wrote:

> My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
> "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
>
> There are no attachments
> We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages
> to... they are undeliverable.
> They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a
> bunch of gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an
> image or whatever from the newsgroups.
>
> I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a
> test on Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
>
> It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only..
> none of mine.
>
> ANY help appreciated.
>
> Thanks

The most likely cause of this is a viral infection. However, it is
likely that the infected party is someone else that has you in their
address book. A number of viruses use the address book of the infected
computer to forge a return path when it sends itself out (also to
addresses it finds).
If you can think of a likely candidate that this might have happened
to, you may want to inform them, but there's basically not much to do
about it, or reason for concern.
--
"*If* you've made certain your own system is clean."

James Hilton

"WeeWilly" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My wife is receiving a lot of emails recently (past 3-4 days) that say
> "failure notice" from noreply @ dslextreme.com.. our provider.
>
> There are no attachments
> We know none of the people that "we were trying to send" the messages

to...
> they are undeliverable.
> They all come with a boilerplate.. what/why.. and after that is a bunch of
> gibberish.. stuff I used to see when I tried to download an image or
> whatever from the newsgroups.
>
> I have a PC.. Win XP.. Updated Ad-Aware, Spybot and AVG. I ran a test on
> Trendmicro's online virus scan. All turn up nothing.
>
> It seems whatever I have is tied to my wife's email account only.. none of
> mine.
>
> ANY help appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Bill

I had a similar thing happen a couple of years ago. My ISP said that it was
a spam bot using my email addy as the return to address on spam they were
sending out. If the spam reached a valid email addy I would not know it, but
if it was an invalid email addy and the spam was not deliverable I would get
the failure notice. Makes sense to me.

WeeWilly

Thanks Trout and James.. I think these are the most likely culprits.. I
won't worry about it.. In fact, I haven't received any of these in the past
twenty four hours.. maybe whoever it was found the problem.. ?? Knock on
wood