Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Do I Want To "Upgrade" Or "Update" To W98 SE ?

Do I Want To "Upgrade" Or "Update" To W98 SE ?

r_mervart

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:iKTid.17189$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:LkSid.163$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

be
> >> quite

the

> > had

> > Updates
> >> >

> >> You need precision? Well, I have about two or three dozen system disks
> >> laying about, but I have two in my hand that are from MS with all their
> >> factory printing. One is Windows 98 Upgrade for users of Windows 3.1x
> >> and Windows 95, it also has Second Edition printed in the upper right
> >> hand side. The other disk looks identical but says Windows 98 Upgrade
> >> and doesn't say who it's for or if it's SE (I'm sure it's not SE). But
> >> they work the same way. They both have the full version of Win98 on
> >> them, they simply look for proof that you have a previous version of
> >> Windows before continuing with the install. Of course if your hard

drive
> >> is blank you can pop in a CD from a previous version and that satisfies
> >> the requirements. There is no need to use the intermediate step of

Win98
> >> before going to Win98SE if upgrading from Win95.

> > Correct me if I am wrong, but from what you said I believe that
> > a) your first disk will upgrade from Win 3.1 or Win95 to Win98SE
> > b) your second disk Windows 98 Upgrade is very likely the one I used
> > to upgrade from Win95 to Win98 (not SE) - it says the same on mine.
> >
> > I believe that neither a) nor b) is what the OP is after. He already has
> > Win98
> > installed and he wants to get it up to Win98SE. The disk labelled
> > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" will do that. It seems to me that there
> > is only one way to update from Win98 to Win98SE and that is to use
> > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" disk.
> >
> > I did not say there is the need to go from Win95 to Win98SE via Win98,
> > I said that it was how I did it ( because at the time when I upgraded
> > from Win95 to Win98 you could not upgrade higher, there was no SE yet)

> To add more "confusion" :
> The "Win98SE Update" CD will only update Win98 and cannot be used for a
> clean install.
> The "Win98SE Upgrade" CD will update WinXX and can be used to clean

install
> Win98SE.
> (with a WinXX CD handy, to satisfy the "OS qualifying" requirements.)

I agree with the first assertion. As for the second I was not aware that
Win98SE Upgrade could also be used just to update Win98 to Win 98SE, if
that
is what your equation implies. I assumed that it can be used only to upgrade
either from Win 3.1 or from Win95 to Win 98SE

roman

Sunny

"r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:tXTid.180$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:iKTid.17189$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "r_mervart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:LkSid.163$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > "Rgr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> be

> the
>> > had
>> > Updates

> drive

> Win98
>> >
>> > Correct me if I am wrong, but from what you said I believe that
>> > a) your first disk will upgrade from Win 3.1 or Win95 to Win98SE
>> > b) your second disk Windows 98 Upgrade is very likely the one I used
>> > to upgrade from Win95 to Win98 (not SE) - it says the same on mine.
>> >
>> > I believe that neither a) nor b) is what the OP is after. He already
>> > has
>> > Win98
>> > installed and he wants to get it up to Win98SE. The disk labelled
>> > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" will do that. It seems to me that there
>> > is only one way to update from Win98 to Win98SE and that is to use
>> > "Win98 Second Edition Updates" disk.
>> >
>> > I did not say there is the need to go from Win95 to Win98SE via Win98,
>> > I said that it was how I did it ( because at the time when I upgraded
>> > from Win95 to Win98 you could not upgrade higher, there was no SE yet)

>> To add more "confusion" :
>> The "Win98SE Update" CD will only update Win98 and cannot be used for a
>> clean install.
>> The "Win98SE Upgrade" CD will update WinXX and can be used to clean

> install
>> Win98SE.
>> (with a WinXX CD handy, to satisfy the "OS qualifying" requirements.)
>>

> I agree with the first assertion. As for the second I was not aware that
> Win98SE Upgrade could also be used just to update Win98 to Win 98SE, if
> that
> is what your equation implies. I assumed that it can be used only to
> upgrade
> either from Win 3.1 or from Win95 to Win 98SE

Yep, it can be used to "update" Win98.
The difference in cost was the main factor in deciding to purchase the
Update CD.
(Clean install then meant using your Win98 CD, then the Win98SE)
From memory :
Upgrade CD = $AUD 150 (retail)
Update CD = $AUD 20 (from Microsoft)

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Will be updating my very old W98 OS to W98 SE so I can run
> some programs that apparently require SE.
>
> See that there are disks, and downloads, that are either termed as

"Upgrade"
> or "Update" to SE
>
> What are the differences ?

The "Upgrade" was from Win3.x or Win95 to Win98SE.

The "Update" was from Win98 Gold to Win98 SE.

You'll want the update disk.

Especially since the UPGRADE will refuse to run on a Win98 install,
being for Win95.

(It can be coaxed, but I just grab an old Update CD when I have to
do that).

RwP