Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > scanning in safe mode

scanning in safe mode

jils

there's a computer in my house that's not maintained as regularly as it
should be (win2k). it was showing signs of poor performance recently,
and the virus scanner (vet) would hang about five mins after starting.
tried several times, same result.

trend micro housecall dealt with two worms and two trojans.

then updated spybot to 1.3 and dealt with 154 bad entries, updated
adaware to se and dealt with a further 95 items.

vet still won't run, just hangs after a few mins. tried another free
online virus scanner, "stop sign", it scanned enough to show there were
some files it considered infected with spyware but then the computer hung.

tried safe mode, scan with vet, pc died after a few mins. rebooted into
safe mode again, tried "stop sign", computer hung after a few mins of
scanning.

next step is obviously a reformat, but if anyone has any constructive
suggestions before we take that plunge, i'd be grateful!

127.0.0.1

"jils" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:418b454c$0$32599$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> there's a computer in my house that's not maintained as regularly as it
> should be (win2k). it was showing signs of poor performance recently, and
> the virus scanner (vet) would hang about five mins after starting. tried
> several times, same result.
>
> trend micro housecall dealt with two worms and two trojans.
>
> then updated spybot to 1.3 and dealt with 154 bad entries, updated adaware
> to se and dealt with a further 95 items.
>
> vet still won't run, just hangs after a few mins. tried another free
> online virus scanner, "stop sign", it scanned enough to show there were
> some files it considered infected with spyware but then the computer hung.
>
> tried safe mode, scan with vet, pc died after a few mins. rebooted into
> safe mode again, tried "stop sign", computer hung after a few mins of
> scanning.
>
> next step is obviously a reformat, but if anyone has any constructive
> suggestions before we take that plunge, i'd be grateful!

to avoid reformatting in the future, it's best to create a (ghost) image of
your HDD.
but in your present situation, a registry cleanup should be performed and
the usual chkdsk/defrag.

-a|ex

Ron Martell

jils <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>there's a computer in my house that's not maintained as regularly as it
>should be (win2k). it was showing signs of poor performance recently,
>and the virus scanner (vet) would hang about five mins after starting.
>tried several times, same result.
>
>trend micro housecall dealt with two worms and two trojans.
>
>then updated spybot to 1.3 and dealt with 154 bad entries, updated
>adaware to se and dealt with a further 95 items.
>
>vet still won't run, just hangs after a few mins. tried another free
>online virus scanner, "stop sign", it scanned enough to show there were
>some files it considered infected with spyware but then the computer hung.
>
>tried safe mode, scan with vet, pc died after a few mins. rebooted into
>safe mode again, tried "stop sign", computer hung after a few mins of
>scanning.
>
>next step is obviously a reformat, but if anyone has any constructive
>suggestions before we take that plunge, i'd be grateful!

Try Panda's online scanner. It takes a while but is pretty effective:

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

jils

thanks ron, that worked nicely and found another 91 instances of
worms/viruses in various emails. since they hadn't been opened, i don't
think any were active. anyway, nice to get more cleaning up done!

vet still won't run without hanging though.
off to chkdsk/scan and registry clean now ...

Ron Martell wrote:

> Try Panda's online scanner. It takes a while but is pretty effective:
>
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 2 09-23-2005 07:39 PM
Re: Norton Antivirus 2005 will not scan in normal mode but will in safe mode Vic Computer Support 0 09-23-2005 04:50 PM
Safe mode Vs normal mode Echy Firefox 6 08-27-2005 07:56 PM
adware different in safe mode and normal mode?? Ladydeb Computer Support 0 09-24-2004 09:30 AM

Advertisments