Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Acronis True Image (Drive Imaging), PartititionMagic and MultbootSystems

Acronis True Image (Drive Imaging), PartititionMagic and MultbootSystems

Harvey Gratt

I have a couple of questions which have arisen from a thread on the
Acronis forum - no real answer was forthcoming, although Acronis
offered to help on an individual basis. Basically, they said the answer
was "very complicated". I am trying to get some more insight on the
following situation for later use. Also, not much help from other
newsgroups:

1. I have a system setup for dual boot using PartitionMagic 8.01
(performed by a friend, win xp pro and win98se). If I want to delete the
win98se, the instructions say to uninstall BootMagic (the PM boot
manager) before deleting the partition and resizing and moving the other
partition. Does this PM process automatically create the proper boot.ini
file for the remaining XP partition? Does the above still apply if
instead of a win98se partition, I had a second XP partition that I
wanted to remove?

2. If I later want to use TI to restore the deleted win98se partition
(or second XP partition), is the appropriate boot.ini file automatically
created?

3. As a concrete example, the win98se partition is the first followed by
a FAT32 data partition and then the XP partition. My intent was to
(using PM) delete the first two partitions and then make the XP
partition the first (and only) one. That was when I saw this thread with
its references to the boot.ini file. It made me wonder if the boot.ini
file in the XP partition would be automatically modified as required. It
also made me wonder what would happen if I instead used TI to load an
old (from the dual boot image), saved partition image to the newly
created partition on the disk. Would that work properly, or would there
be issue due to an improperly configured boot.ini file?

I would appreciate any help I can get in understanding what is involved
here.

Thanks,
Harvey