Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Operating laptop without battery

Operating laptop without battery

DesperateHusband

My wife uses an old KDS laptop. The batteries we have for it no
longer hold a charge, but it has been possible to run it using an AC
adaptor. Now it receives power (according to power lights) very
intermittently. My test meter says the AC adaptor is delivering
power, and if I check the + and - leads feeding to the battery, I see
power.

Apparently the laptop only works with the battery installed to
complete a circuit.
The five leads into the battery are - T D C +

Is there a way to complete the circuit and run the laptop without
using the battery.

Thanks for any assistance.

Trai' La' Trash

DesperateHusband <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> My wife uses an old KDS laptop. The batteries we have for it no
> longer hold a charge, but it has been possible to run it using an AC
> adaptor. Now it receives power (according to power lights) very
> intermittently. My test meter says the AC adaptor is delivering
> power, and if I check the + and - leads feeding to the battery, I see
> power.
>
> Apparently the laptop only works with the battery installed to
> complete a circuit.
> The five leads into the battery are - T D C +
>
> Is there a way to complete the circuit and run the laptop without
> using the battery.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

I'll share a little secret I have used many times. Put the battery in a
ziplock bag and freeze it over night. Take it out let it thaw then charge
it,then run it dead and do the process 3-4 times.
I have brought batteries 8 years old back to life.