Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Word Help please

Word Help please

Daz

Hi,

This is going to be difficult to explain but here goes:
I have 2 folders on my hard drive, each with a word document in with the
same name. e.g C:\folder1\report.doc and C:\folder2\report.doc

Although both of these word documents share the same name, they both have
different content.

OK on to problem:

I open folder1\report.doc and make a change. I minimize this and then open
folder2\report.doc and also make a change.
This means that both have been opened and edited. I then save and close
folder1\reort.doc and save and close folder2\reort.doc.

The problem is that BOTH report.doc's are now identical, even though that
started differently.

For what it's worth, my theory is:

When a document is opened a .tmp file is created, does this have anything to
do with it. i.e is windows getting confused as both docs have the same name?

Daz.

PS please don't ask me to explain again.

This email has been scanned by Norton Internet Security software and is
virus free!

127.0.0.1

"Daz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cm8v8f$52a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> This is going to be difficult to explain but here goes:
> I have 2 folders on my hard drive, each with a word document in with the
> same name. e.g C:\folder1\report.doc and C:\folder2\report.doc
>
> Although both of these word documents share the same name, they both have
> different content.
>
> OK on to problem:
>
> I open folder1\report.doc and make a change. I minimize this and then open
> folder2\report.doc and also make a change.
> This means that both have been opened and edited. I then save and close
> folder1\reort.doc and save and close folder2\reort.doc.
>
> The problem is that BOTH report.doc's are now identical, even though that
> started differently.
>
> For what it's worth, my theory is:
>
> When a document is opened a .tmp file is created, does this have anything
> do with it. i.e is windows getting confused as both docs have the same
> name?
>
> Daz.

what version of office? the temp file should be in the same dir as original.
somewhere along the line, you got confused.
my suggestion: use unique file names.

-a|ex