Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 1 phone line, internet ok, voiceline dead

1 phone line, internet ok, voiceline dead

reb

My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out. But,
my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working. BT
say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But why
should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
Can anyone help with this one?
TIA

Baffled of Bristol

Muppet

"reb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4187c012$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out. But,
> my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working. BT
> say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But why
> should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
> Can anyone help with this one?
> TIA
>
> Baffled of Bristol

Duff filter ?

SwissTony

"reb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4187c012$1_1@127.0.0.1...
> My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out. But,
> my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working. BT
> say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But why
> should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
> Can anyone help with this one?
> TIA
>
> Baffled of Bristol

i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up the
voice part.

Bob

"SwissTony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "reb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4187c012$1_1@127.0.0.1...
>> My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out.
>> But,
>> my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working.
>> BT
>> say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But
>> why
>> should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
>> Can anyone help with this one?
>> TIA
>>
>> Baffled of Bristol
>>

> i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
> Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up
> the
> voice part.

I tried disconnecting everything but the phone, unplugged the router, took
out the telecom cable etc. No difference.
I have just updated the fault report via the net, mentioning the possibility
of a faulty adsl card at their end, thanks for that, Swiss Tony.

Bob

The Old Sourdough

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:

> "SwissTony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "reb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:4187c012$1_1@127.0.0.1...
>>> My (BT) phone line is apparently dead, no dial tone, can't dial out.
>>> But,
>>> my DSL connection (same line) is working, intermittently, but working.
>>> BT
>>> say they can't get an engineer to me before a week on Thursday!!! But
>>> why
>>> should my DSL be working if the line is apparently dead?
>>> Can anyone help with this one?
>>> TIA
>>>

>> i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
>> Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up
>> the
>> voice part.
>>

> I tried disconnecting everything but the phone, unplugged the router, took
> out the telecom cable etc. No difference.
> I have just updated the fault report via the net, mentioning the possibility
> of a faulty adsl card at their end, thanks for that, Swiss Tony.

Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?
--
The Old Sourdough
BEER!! The staff of life!!

Bob

"The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
> Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
> up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:
>>
>> "SwissTony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
>>> Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up
>>> the
>>> voice part.
>>>

>> I tried disconnecting everything but the phone, unplugged the router,
>> took
>> out the telecom cable etc. No difference.
>> I have just updated the fault report via the net, mentioning the
>> possibility
>> of a faulty adsl card at their end, thanks for that, Swiss Tony.
>>

> Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?
> --
> The Old Sourdough
> BEER!! The staff of life!!
> Linux Registered User 5A020
> (E-Mail Removed)

Tried 3 different phones. Also tried ringing it from the mobile, got the
ringing tone but the phone didn't ring

The Old Sourdough

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:31:21 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:

> "The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
>> Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
>> up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:

snip

>> Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?
>>

> Tried 3 different phones. Also tried ringing it from the mobile, got the
> ringing tone but the phone didn't ring

I thought you probably had, but had to ask. It sure sounds like the
filter or splitter, then.

--
The Old Sourdough
BEER!! The staff of life!!
Linux Registered User 5A020
(E-Mail Removed)

dadiOH

The Old Sourdough wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 20:31:21 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
> Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
> up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:
>>
>> "The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
>>> Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
>>> up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:
>>>>

> snip
>>>>

>>> Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther
>>> phone?
>>>

>> Tried 3 different phones. Also tried ringing it from the mobile,
>> got the ringing tone but the phone didn't ring
>>

> I thought you probably had, but had to ask. It sure sounds like the
> filter or splitter, then.

Gee, I wonder if OP thought to unplug those and try just the phone? Think maybe?

I have the same problem - ****ed phone, DSL OK - and have had so since August and September brought three hurricanes to central Florida. Well, there were four but one wasn't in my area.

Verizon has "fixed" it four times. each time it works OK for a couple of days and then reverts. Sometimes it is good, sometimes it works but with static, sometimes there is no dial tone. In the latter case, we can normally receive calls and - once someone calls in - we'll have a dial tone for a while.

I don't know what the problem is but it doesn't affect DSL...something about "twisted pairs".

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

Bob

"The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 17:48:38 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
> Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana jammed
> up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:
>>
>> "SwissTony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> i had the same sort of thing, ADSL worked but phone line was toast
>>> Turned out to be a broken adsl card at the exchange which was mucking up
>>> the
>>> voice part.
>>>

>> I tried disconnecting everything but the phone, unplugged the router,
>> took
>> out the telecom cable etc. No difference.
>> I have just updated the fault report via the net, mentioning the
>> possibility
>> of a faulty adsl card at their end, thanks for that, Swiss Tony.
>>

> Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?
> --
> The Old Sourdough
> BEER!! The staff of life!!
> Linux Registered User 5A020
> (E-Mail Removed)

Sorry for the delay replying, lost the net completely for 2 days, back now
tho. still no voice-line, can't make or receive calls. If they really take
9 days to fix this theni t's bye-bye BT, hello Telewest!

Bob

The Old Sourdough

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 18:18:32 -0000, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
Bob gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana
jammed up its ass, and uttered the following deranged nonsense:

>> Are you able to receive incoming calls? Have you tried anopther phone?

> Sorry for the delay replying, lost the net completely for 2 days, back now
> tho. still no voice-line, can't make or receive calls. If they really take
> 9 days to fix this theni t's bye-bye BT, hello Telewest!
>
> Bob

Errm, if I got that kind of service from my ISP, it would *definitely*
be bye-bye.