Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows 98 shutdown probs

Windows 98 shutdown probs

TM

Anyone know how to fix the problem with windows 98 not shutting down. It
gives the message shutting down but stays that way all night. I have
applied the patch that microsoft has on their website, but that doesnt
fix it either.

DC

TM wrote:
> Anyone know how to fix the problem with windows 98 not shutting down. It
> gives the message shutting down but stays that way all night. I have
> applied the patch that microsoft has on their website, but that doesnt
> fix it either.

Try this:
http://aumha.org/win4/a/shtdwnse.htm

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

=?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

TM wrote:
> Anyone know how to fix the problem with windows 98 not shutting down. It
> gives the message shutting down but stays that way all night. I have
> applied the patch that microsoft has on their website, but that doesnt
> fix it either.

Not sure which patch it is you applied, but there's quite a bit of info
on the MS site about Win98 shutdown hanging and there's a lot more on
other websites and newsgroup posts. The following article came up on a
Google search for "Windows 98 shutdown".

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q238096/

It has info such as:
Common Causes of Shutdown Problems
Shutdown problems in Windows 98 Second Edition can be caused by any of
the following issues:
•The Fast Shutdown registry key is enabled.
•There is a damaged Exit Windows sound file.
•A program or terminate-and-stay-resident (TSR) program may not close
correctly.
•An incompatible, damaged, or conflicting device driver is loaded.
•There is an incompatible Advanced Power Management (APM) or Advanced
Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) setting.
•There is an incompatible Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) configuration
setting.
•The computer contains incorrectly configured or damaged hardware.
•There is a video adapter that is not assigned an IRQ in real mode.