Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows XP solution required

Windows XP solution required

Barry

How do I prevent Windows XP Home from making decisions on my behalf?

I don't need to be told that e-mails will not be opened unless I hit a place
elsewhere on the desktop, nor do I want a decision made on my behalf,
deciding or not if it is safe to open an internet page.

Any help in disabling these features would be appreciated.

TIA

Barry

Toolman Tim

>| How do I prevent Windows XP Home from making decisions on my behalf?
>|
>| I don't need to be told that e-mails will not be opened unless I hit
>| a place elsewhere on the desktop, nor do I want a decision made on
>| my behalf, deciding or not if it is safe to open an internet page.
>|
>| Any help in disabling these features would be appreciated.
>|
>| TIA
>|
>| Barry

First, do you have adequate firewalls, antivirus, malware protection? Are
all your Windows updates installed?

Second, are you willing to take the risks with your computer, data, etc.?
(New malware/viruses happen faster than the updates to the AV programs...you
are ALWAYS vulnerable to some degree.)

If so, then in Outlook Express you need to click on Tools, Options,
Security, and remove the checkmarks in front of "Do not allow
attachements..." and "Block images...".

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Conor

In article <vh9hd.142300$(E-Mail Removed)>, Barry says...
> How do I prevent Windows XP Home from making decisions on my behalf?
>
> I don't need to be told that e-mails will not be opened unless I hit a place
> elsewhere on the desktop, nor do I want a decision made on my behalf,
> deciding or not if it is safe to open an internet page.
>
> Any help in disabling these features would be appreciated.

www.suse.com
www.mandrakelinux.com
fedora.redhat.com

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

pb

"Barry" <bernard.verona@(Unwanted)cgocable.ca> wrote:

> How do I prevent Windows XP Home from making decisions on my behalf?
>
> I don't need to be told that e-mails will not be opened unless I hit a place
> elsewhere on the desktop, nor do I want a decision made on my behalf,
> deciding or not if it is safe to open an internet page.
>
> Any help in disabling these features would be appreciated.

Do a search and find out what the various Windows Services do,
and which ones you can do without (there are many). Ditch the
Windows firewall and get a real one. I use Kerio, ZoneAlarm is
another popular one. Check the settings under Internet
Tools/Security/Advanced.

p.

Logger solution Required Proton Projects - Moin Java 1 03-02-2007 06:33 PM
Solution Required for Printing SQL Server 2005 Local Reports aleemkhan@gmail.com ASP .Net 0 12-25-2006 07:29 PM
Solution Required nil ASP .Net 2 11-19-2006 01:50 PM
Create a VD with required properties on a required Web Server (Windows Advanced Server 2000 has 3 Web Servers) Just D. ASP .Net 0 03-10-2006 06:02 AM
ASP .NET and ASP style confusion. Immediate solution required =?Utf-8?B?TW9oaXQgR3VwdGE=?= ASP .Net 1 10-18-2004 01:52 PM

Advertisments