Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DAT file extension mystery

DAT file extension mystery

Hockey Buff

I received an email attachment having the DAT extension
that seems unrecognizable. Web resources list 3 likely
possibilities:

Exchange Server Error Message (WINMAIL.DAT) (Microsoft)
MS Word for DOS
Word Perfect Merge Data (Corel)

I think I can safely eliminate the last two, having
tried recent reversion of both Word and Word Perfect,
leaving only the one -- whatever that refer to.

My ISP in this case is Juno (v.5) and they will not
respond to inquiries unless it is a paid subscription.

Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Buffalo

"Hockey Buff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I received an email attachment having the DAT extension
> that seems unrecognizable. Web resources list 3 likely
> possibilities:
>

> Exchange Server Error Message (WINMAIL.DAT) (Microsoft)
> MS Word for DOS
> Word Perfect Merge Data (Corel)
>
> I think I can safely eliminate the last two, having
> tried recent reversion of both Word and Word Perfect,
> leaving only the one -- whatever that refer to.
>
> My ISP in this case is Juno (v.5) and they will not
> respond to inquiries unless it is a paid subscription.
>
> Is anyone familiar with this issue?

DATs can be viruses.
Scan it with several free online scanners before trying to open it again.
"Online Antivirus scanners:
--------------------------
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/hous...start_corp.asp
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/ [See **]

** Caveat:
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archiv...3-07/0240.html

There is a program on the following link that claims to :
"Diablo Hack 206
This is the best program for opening dat files, better than Doom Gaze."
It may be able to do what you want.
http://www.angelfire.com/d20/das_1/downloads.html

why?

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 11:23:21 -0500, Hockey Buff wrote:

>I received an email attachment having the DAT extension
>that seems unrecognizable. Web resources list 3 likely
>possibilities:
>

>Exchange Server Error Message (WINMAIL.DAT) (Microsoft)
>MS Word for DOS
>Word Perfect Merge Data (Corel)
>
>I think I can safely eliminate the last two, having
>tried recent reversion of both Word and Word Perfect,
>leaving only the one -- whatever that refer to.
>
>My ISP in this case is Juno (v.5) and they will not
>respond to inquiries unless it is a paid subscription.
>
>Is anyone familiar with this issue?

Yes, but I expect you want more than that?

Used to get those at work a lot, 1/2 the company had an old email
systems that didn't suffer from bad emails, the other 1/2 was on OL.

From OL it always sent winmail.dat. The solution is to tell the sender
to change thier settings, be polite and identify any attachments.

Generally, it's a formatted version of the message.

See www.google.com as usual,
Web Results 1 - 10 of about 47,000 English pages for
winmail.dat
(0.66 seconds)

Also search for Microsoft TNEF.

Not only is there a lot of info there is a easy to find decoder utility
for winmail.dat.

Me

Walter Mautner

Hockey Buff wrote:

> I received an email attachment having the DAT extension
> that seems unrecognizable. Web resources list 3 likely
> possibilities:
>

> Exchange Server Error Message (WINMAIL.DAT) (Microsoft)
> MS Word for DOS
> Word Perfect Merge Data (Corel)

Take a look at http://www.ust.hk/itsc/email/tips/tnef/
and do as suggested. Before you try to open the attachment, don't forget to
feed your virus scanner (after a fresh update) with that file, and also the
extracted files.

> Is anyone familiar with this issue?

One of the many Outbug2000 annoyances ...
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*your*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt*[LinuxCounter#295241]

Dan Glybitz

"Hockey Buff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I received an email attachment having the DAT extension
> that seems unrecognizable. Web resources list 3 likely
> possibilities:
>

> Exchange Server Error Message (WINMAIL.DAT) (Microsoft)
> MS Word for DOS
> Word Perfect Merge Data (Corel)
>
> I think I can safely eliminate the last two, having
> tried recent reversion of both Word and Word Perfect,
> leaving only the one -- whatever that refer to.
>
> My ISP in this case is Juno (v.5) and they will not
> respond to inquiries unless it is a paid subscription.
>
> Is anyone familiar with this issue?

I have known of images sent with .dat extensions. Try renaming it with .jpg
extension and viewing it.

DG.

johnwalter johnwalter is offline
Junior Member

I will give you only one solution to download the Fileviewpro software for all files, I have already used it.
file extension tif