Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > T-Bird protected by NIS?

T-Bird protected by NIS?

graeme@invalid

WCH wrote:
> I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key issue I
> can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet Security),
> which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems to work
> very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
> Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch? I
> know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but want to
> know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
> WC

I use Vet Anti Virus in Thunderbid, it detects at least one and
sometimes four infected Emails a day. It then deletes the virus and
Thunerbird puts the Email straight into the junk folder.

WCH

I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key issue I
can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet Security),
which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems to work
very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch? I
know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but want to
know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
WC

Parko

WCH wrote:
> I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key issue I
> can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet Security),
> which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems to work
> very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
> Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch? I
> know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but want to
> know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
> WC

Chunderturd works OK on W32 OSs. Use VET AV when I boot Windows.

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

WCH

"Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JA4hd.5546$(E-Mail Removed)...
> WCH wrote:
> > I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key

issue I
> > can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet

Security),
> > which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems to

work
> > very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
> > Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch?

> > know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but want

> > know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
> > WC
> >

> Chunderturd works OK on W32 OSs. Use VET AV when I boot Windows.
>

> --
> Parko
> Registered Linux User #339345

For the time being I'm not going to switch away from Norton Internet
Security. I know it's a resource hog, but I've had good luck with it
preventing viruses and trojans, which is the point after all. I'm running
W2k, BTW, fully patched and updated.
WC

Ionizer

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key

issue I
> can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet

Security),
> which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems to

work
> very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
> Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch?

> know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but want

> know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
> WC

The third post on this page (posted by AorB) indicates that Norton will
work with Thunderbird:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...virus&start=21

Even if it didn't, it's my understanding that the apparent second layer of
protection offered by NAV's email scanning is superfluous, since the
on-access Auto-Protect would intercept any malicious attachments when you
try to open them.

Regards,
Ian.

Gideon Stargrave

graeme@invalid wrote:
> WCH wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key
>> issue I
>> can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet Security),
>> which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express that seems
>> to work
>> very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it? Are there other
>> Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before making the switch? I
>> know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm open to switching, but
>> want to
>> know more about what I'm doing. Any insights appreciated.
>> WC
>>

> I use Vet Anti Virus in Thunderbid, it detects at least one and
> sometimes four infected Emails a day. It then deletes the virus and
> Thunerbird puts the Email straight into the junk folder.

i use thunderbird, and norton, no prob!

gideon

Jim Berwick

"WCH" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I'm thinking of moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird. One key
> issue I can't find an answer to is whether Norton A/V (Norton Internet
> Security), which has email anti-virus protection for Outlook Express
> that seems to work very well, will also work on Thunderbird. Will it?
> Are there other Thunderbird-related issues I should consider before
> making the switch? I know OE has lots of security issues, and I'm
> open to switching, but want to know more about what I'm doing. Any
> insights appreciated. WC

Norton Antivirus will protect you from getting a virus through Thunderbird,
even if you turn email scanning off (which you should, it is a worthless
feature).

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Ionizer mused:

| Even if it didn't, it's my understanding that the apparent second layer of
| protection offered by NAV's email scanning is superfluous, since the
| on-access Auto-Protect would intercept any malicious attachments when you
| try to open them.

That's correct.