Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can I skip the DL to a temporary file?

Can I skip the DL to a temporary file?

Steve Freides

When I save a download from the Internet, my XP/Pro machine always saves
it to a temporary location on a local drive before then copying it to
the location I originally requested, which is almost always a network
drive. Is there a way to skip the local drive step? Once in a while
I'll want to save something on a network drive that won't even fit on a
local drive due to insufficient disk space on the local drive, even
though disk space is plentiful where I actually want to save the file.

TIA.

-S-

°Mike°

Downloads have to be stored in temporary space first;
they are being received in sequential bits. The only way
to skip the local drive, that I can think of, would be to place
the temporary internet files cache on the network drive.

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:05:06 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Steve Freides scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Bruce the Shark

Steve Freides wrote:

> When I save a download from the Internet, my XP/Pro machine always
> saves it to a temporary location on a local drive before then copying
> it to the location I originally requested, which is almost always a
> network drive. Is there a way to skip the local drive step? Once in
> a while I'll want to save something on a network drive that won't
> even fit on a local drive due to insufficient disk space on the local
> drive, even though disk space is plentiful where I actually want to
> save the file.

What browser are you using? Sounds like IE. You can try changing the
Registry setting for Temp files to your network drive, so that IE will
save to the new location instead.

I use Firefox as my browser, and it saves directly to the target folder.