Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Serial ATA HD And Ultra/ATA HD's In Same PC: O.K. ?

Serial ATA HD And Ultra/ATA HD's In Same PC: O.K. ?

Robert11

Hi,

Will probably be purchasing a new PC shortly.

Have a 6 year old PC now running W98, that I have added a second Maxtor HD
to a few years back. Don't remember the type or spec on it, but I do
remember that the installation went amazingly well and easy.

My question is:

Several PC models I'm considering come with either Serial ATA hard drives or
Ultra/ATA 100 Hard Drives. Have no idea of the differences.

My plan is to put all the files on my present PC on the second HD that I
previously installed, and transfer this HD physically into the cabinet of
the new PC.

Am concerned that the new PC I select may have as its basic HD one of the
two types I mentioned above (Serial or Ultra/ATA), and not be the same type
as the HD I am moving.

Are they compatible, the Serial and Ultra types if in the same PC ?

Anything else I should also be asking and be aware of ? Any gotchas?

Will the XP software "automatically" recognize it ? (will transfer only
files, no programs)
etc. ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Mike

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Will probably be purchasing a new PC shortly.
>
> Have a 6 year old PC now running W98, that I have added a second Maxtor HD
> to a few years back. Don't remember the type or spec on it, but I do
> remember that the installation went amazingly well and easy.
>
> My question is:
>
> Several PC models I'm considering come with either Serial ATA hard drives

or
> Ultra/ATA 100 Hard Drives. Have no idea of the differences.
>
> My plan is to put all the files on my present PC on the second HD that I
> previously installed, and transfer this HD physically into the cabinet of
> the new PC.
>
> Am concerned that the new PC I select may have as its basic HD one of the
> two types I mentioned above (Serial or Ultra/ATA), and not be the same

type
> as the HD I am moving.
>
> Are they compatible, the Serial and Ultra types if in the same PC ?
>
> Anything else I should also be asking and be aware of ? Any gotchas?
>

> Will the XP software "automatically" recognize it ? (will transfer only
> files, no programs)
> etc. ?
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob

Serial ATA is faster than Ultra ATA (SATA runs about 150MB/s and UltraATA
peaks at about 133MB/s). SATA and IDE hard drives should be able to coexist
in the same PC, I havn't heard of any issues other than SATA drivers (which
isn't a problem if you buy the PC with an OS installed). There isn't any
reason for the new computer to be incompatible with older hard drives,
unless it doesn't have any IDE ports at all. XP should have no trouble
recognizing the drive and copy only what you tell it to copy.