Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Winzip file size limitations

Winzip file size limitations

suoh

A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
size.

I have Powerarchiver (the last freeware version, whatever that number
was) for my zip utility. It can't open the zipped file. I click on the
zipped file (which shows up with the icon looking like an icon for a
zipped file) and Powerarchiver starts, but displays an empty archive.

So my questions are:

1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
utilities?

2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
a (hopefully free) utility that can?

Fuzzy Logic

suoh <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:ssss-9FAAD9.15315828102004
@syrcnyrdrs-02-ge0.nyroc.rr.com:

> A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
> size.
>
> I have Powerarchiver (the last freeware version, whatever that number
> was) for my zip utility. It can't open the zipped file. I click on the
> zipped file (which shows up with the icon looking like an icon for a
> zipped file) and Powerarchiver starts, but displays an empty archive.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
> utilities?
>
> 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
> a (hopefully free) utility that can?

I've never run into problems with file sizes in WinZip. It's free to use for
21 days and then you'll need to register it. For other freeware options try
here:

http://www.pricelessware.org/thelist...n:%20Zip-Unzip

dadiOH

suoh wrote:

> 1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
> utilities?

Depends, normally around 4 gigs

> 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone
> recommend a (hopefully free) utility that can?

Maybe it can't open it because it is no good.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.05...

°Mike°

There should be no problem with a 300 MB zip file,
with any archiver; it's a poor archiver if there is.
Try the trial version of WinZip.

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:33:25 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
suoh scrawled:

>A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
>size.
>
>I have Powerarchiver (the last freeware version, whatever that number
>was) for my zip utility. It can't open the zipped file. I click on the
>zipped file (which shows up with the icon looking like an icon for a
>zipped file) and Powerarchiver starts, but displays an empty archive.
>
>So my questions are:
>
>1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
>utilities?
>
>2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
>a (hopefully free) utility that can?

--
Basic computer maintenance

The Old Sourdough

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 19:33:25 GMT, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk,
suoh gibbered like a sex-crazed chimpanzee with a banana
jammed up its ass, the following deranged nonsense:

> A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
> size.
>
> I have Powerarchiver (the last freeware version, whatever that number
> was) for my zip utility. It can't open the zipped file. I click on the
> zipped file (which shows up with the icon looking like an icon for a
> zipped file) and Powerarchiver starts, but displays an empty archive.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
> utilities?
>
> 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
> a (hopefully free) utility that can?

I've never had a problem with files that large in Power Archiver.
As others have suggested, you might try WinZip. Also, is it *really*
a zipped file, and not a renamed .exe file or somesuch?

--
The Old Sourdough
BEER!! The staff of life!!

Mario Alvares

suoh wrote:
> A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
> size.

> 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone recommend
> a (hopefully free) utility that can?

Most archiving utilities (including the freeware ones) can handle zip
files of this size. Maybe the zip file itself is corrupt. Many of the
newer archiving utilities have a 'Test' feature which help determine if
an archive is corrupt.

You could try one of these:

IZArc
http://www.izsoft.dir.bg/izarc.htm

ZipGenius
http://www.zipgenius.it/index_eng.htm

7-Zip
http://www.7-zip.org/

ICEOWS
http://www.iceows.com/HomePageUS.html

TugZip
http://www.tugzip.com/

AlZip (FREE for home users)
http://www.altools.net/Default.aspx?tabid=47

My preference is to use the excellent IZArc, but unfortunately its shell
extension (IZArcCM.dll) seems to have a bug which causes another
freeware app I use, xplorer2, to crash (Further details for anyone
interested : http://tinyurl.com/655vr). I currently use ICEOWS.

Regards,
Mario

Thorsten Duhn

Hello,

there is a 64bit extension to ZIP to avoid any size limit
(which is even in ordinary ZIP around 4 GB) introduced by
ZIP innovators PkZIP, so maybe that is the reason. I switched
to TugZip, because that can handle this files too.

> TugZip
> http://www.tugzip.com/

See also:

http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmid...le-format.html

Quote: "the format was extended to use 64 bit integers, but not
all programs support that"

Regards,
Thorsten
--
connect (E-Mail Removed)
load http://www.editorial.de

Mikey

Hi;
Got a 1.7 GIG zip file that is esealy handled by Power Archiver 6.11 (last free v.).

"Thorsten Duhn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> there is a 64bit extension to ZIP to avoid any size limit
> (which is even in ordinary ZIP around 4 GB) introduced by
> ZIP innovators PkZIP, so maybe that is the reason. I switched
> to TugZip, because that can handle this files too.
>
>> TugZip
>> http://www.tugzip.com/

> See also:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/marcoschmid...le-format.html
>
> Quote: "the format was extended to use 64 bit integers, but not
> all programs support that"
>
> Regards,
> Thorsten
> --
> connect (E-Mail Removed)
> load http://www.editorial.de
> load http://www.freewareguide.de
> system failure:> abort, retry, fail?_

Ionizer

"suoh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
> size.

A 300MB email attachment actually went through? 300MB?

--
Ian.

H-Man

"suoh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>A friend of mine emailed me a large zip file today - almost 300 Mb in
> size.
>
> I have Powerarchiver (the last freeware version, whatever that number
> was) for my zip utility. It can't open the zipped file. I click on
> the
> zipped file (which shows up with the icon looking like an icon for a
> zipped file) and Powerarchiver starts, but displays an empty archive.
>
> So my questions are:
>
> 1. What are the maximum file sizes that can be handled by common zip
> utilities?
>
> 2. Since Powerarchiver can't handle this zip file, can someone
> recommend
> a (hopefully free) utility that can?

It was my experience that PowerArchiver looks like it's done and diplays
a blank archive, but it really isn't done. Wait for a while, it should
populate the screen once it reads the entire file. As I recall, this can
take a couple on minutes for file this size.

--
HK