Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Networking a home computer

Networking a home computer

Sweet Andy Licious

What software would I use for file sharing and printer sharing between 2
home computers sharing the same broadband connection. Both are Windows XP
Home.
Thanks.

--
Andy

email: sweetandylicious at eml dot cc

make sure both computers are in the same workgroup and on the same subnet
(ie: 192.168.1.1 & 192.168.1.2).

the way I am most comfortable with is by using a router (Linksys has been
good to me) to share the internet connection.

then you can share a printer by right clicking on the icon for that printer
and choosing share. then when you install on the second computer (the one
it is not physically connected to), point to the printer on the 1st
computer.

for file sharing you would right click a folder in computer 1 and choose
sharing. then on computer 2, right click 'my computer' and choose 'map a
network drive'.

HTH

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"Sweet Andy Licious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What software would I use for file sharing and printer sharing between 2
> home computers sharing the same broadband connection. Both are Windows XP
> Home.

Windows XP Home. You've got all you need software wise.

RwP

TheRedCat

On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:09:58 -0500, "Ralph Wade Phillips"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Howdy!
>
>"Sweet Andy Licious" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> What software would I use for file sharing and printer sharing between 2
>> home computers sharing the same broadband connection. Both are Windows XP
>> Home.

> Windows XP Home. You've got all you need software wise.
>
> RwP

Right-click on the folder or printer you want to share and select the
Share tab to allow others on the network to access the device. You may
also need to play around with security setting for users.

Hope this helps.