Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Copying file/folder names to Word

Reply
Thread Tools

Copying file/folder names to Word

 
 
Bill P
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2004
Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the folders
and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?
Regards
Bill


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2004
Open a DOS box and type in the following -- assuming
that your CD is drive "D"; change if necessary:

dir D: /b /s >c:\files.txt

This will give you a text listing in your root C: drive
called "files.txt". Copy/paste the contents into
Word.


On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:39:46 +0100, in
<clobtl$afe$(E-Mail Removed)>
Bill P scrawled:

>Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the folders
>and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?
>Regards
>Bill
>


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Marcus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2004
Have you tried the small programme Print Folders that should list them in a
document form for you.
You can find it here:-
http://www.download.com/PrintFolders...ml?tag=lst-0-1

Regards
Marcus

"Bill P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clobtl$afe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the folders
> and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?
> Regards
> Bill
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill P
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2004
Thanks °Mike°

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4183dd8f.1526968@localhost...
> Open a DOS box and type in the following -- assuming
> that your CD is drive "D"; change if necessary:
>
> dir D: /b /s >c:\files.txt
>
> This will give you a text listing in your root C: drive
> called "files.txt". Copy/paste the contents into
> Word.
>
>
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:39:46 +0100, in
> <clobtl$afe$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Bill P scrawled:
>
> >Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the

folders
> >and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?
> >Regards
> >Bill
> >

>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance
> http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill P
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2004
Thanks Marcus
That does the job nicely

"Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news8Rfd.215$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried the small programme Print Folders that should list them

in a
> document form for you.
> You can find it here:-
>

http://www.download.com/PrintFolders...ml?tag=lst-0-1
>
> Regards
> Marcus
>
> "Bill P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:clobtl$afe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the

folders
> > and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?
> > Regards
> > Bill
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2004
You're welcome.


On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:09:46 +0100, in
<cloo7l$clr$(E-Mail Removed)>
Bill P scrawled:

>Thanks °Mike°
>
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4183dd8f.1526968@localhost...
>> Open a DOS box and type in the following


<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill P
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2004
Actually Marcus, it doesn't do everything I want. It doesn't recognise
any files within the folders.
Regards
Bill

"Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news8Rfd.215$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Have you tried the small programme Print Folders that should list them

in a
> document form for you.
> You can find it here:-
>

http://www.download.com/PrintFolders...ml?tag=lst-0-1
>
> Regards
> Marcus
>
> "Bill P" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:clobtl$afe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the

folders
> > and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?
> > Regards
> > Bill
> >
> >

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
G. Morgan
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-27-2004
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:39:46 +0100 "Bill P"
used 6 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the folders
>and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?



Mike gave you the correct answer.

Completely unrelated to what you asked, but, a neat feature of
Netscape and Firefox is listing and the ability to print directories.

Put this into your browser (Not IE)

file:///C:/

replace "c" with your CD drive letter.

You can view the contents of files without the browser trying to
launch them, and save the (collapsed) tree as html or text.

I don't know if you can force it to expand the tree. If someone knows
how please post it, I would like to see that.


-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email
 
Reply With Quote
 
John Holmes
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-28-2006
Bill P came up with this:

> Is there a simple programme that will extract the names of the folders
> and files that are on a backup CD and copy them to MS Word ?
> Regards
> Bill
>
>
>


Open a command window, type cd x:\ (substitute x for the drive letter
where your backup cd resides). Be sure to be in the root of the drive by
typing cd \. Then type dir /s >c:\whatever.doc. Open the created file
with Word.

--
-John Holmes-

"It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Copying File With "Long" File Names Via Record Now Plus ? Robert11 Computer Support 4 07-13-2009 02:18 AM
Copying files and changing their names SamF Ruby 4 03-14-2007 05:42 PM
OVERLY LONG FILE NAMES - as impediment to COPYING FILES =?Utf-8?B?RXZlcnltYW5FbmRVc2Vy?= Windows 64bit 3 08-18-2005 02:05 AM
Converting 'flat' gate level names to hierarchical names Paddy McCarthy VHDL 3 09-24-2004 05:34 PM
table field names vs. display names Bob ASP .Net 1 07-30-2004 05:06 PM



Advertisments