Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

What the hell is AOL doing to AIM?

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
26 Oct 2004 23:24:26 -0400, "Sseadoubleyou"
<SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

>Maybe if some of you actually opened up your AIM you could tell me if your
>having the same issue. AIM is the most used instant messaging service out
>there, I'm not on AOL, I only have AIM. The only way to stop this **** is
>to uninstall java from your computer. But I need Java for other stuff that
>I do.

You complain too much about something that is free. AOL has provided
the servers and wrote the software for AIM, then gave away the access.
AOL is a business and they benefit from this by selling advertising
that has access to millions of eyeballs. You benefit because it
doesn't cost you anything, AOL gets some cash to continue providing
the service. The great thing about this is that after November 2nd,
you won't see anymore Kerry commercials. That doesn't mean they won't
replace it with something else.

>"Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Tue,
>> 26 Oct 2004 22:23:10 -0400, "Sseadoubleyou"
>> <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:
>>
>>>I have used Trillian before, I don't like it, there is alway sproblems
>>>with
>>>connections, been there done that. This AOL **** only started this
>>>evening,
>>>I was on AIM earlier today and there were no problems.

>> Just what exactly did you expect from AOL?
>>

>> <snip>

Toolman Tim

>| Starting this evening, everytime I launch the program and sign on,
>| it keeps trying to play this stupid ass John Kerry promo video at
>| the top of the AIM software/buddy list window. When I try to stop
>| it, the damn program freezes up on me and I have to do a
>| control/alt/delete to close it out. Then it pops up a seperate
>| window to try to play the video in a bigger window, has AOL now
>| signed onto the John Kerry campaign? This is ridiculous! I can't
>| do a damn thing with the program, can't talk to anyone or do crap!
>| I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it thinking the problem was on
>| my end but it's not. Obviously AOL is once again doing what they do
>| best, screwing around with other peoples computers.
>|
>| Is anyone else having this issue and is there a way for me to turn
>| this **** off?
>|
>| Thanks.

I had a thought - how about a hosts file?

I have an AIM account, although it wasn't installed on either of my
computers, so I hadn't dealt with the new ads. So I downloaded and
reinstalled it on my laptop just now. I have nothing in the ad window. I
think it's because I've got a pretty extensive hosts file keeping a lot of
ads from coming in to my web browser. I downloaded it from a site
recently recommended on this newsgroup...Jim Byrd posted this:
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Don

"Sseadoubleyou" <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Maybe if some of you actually opened up your AIM you could tell me if your
> having the same issue. AIM is the most used instant messaging service out
> there, I'm not on AOL, I only have AIM. The only way to stop this **** is
> to uninstall java from your computer. But I need Java for other stuff
> that I do.

<snip>

That is not a fair comment. A sensible suggestion was made to you. Switch to
Trillian. You could use Trillian for a while until the advert tagged to the
AIM application is removed to keep in touch with your friends on that
network.

I cannot open AIM because I would not install anything from AOL on my
computer. I use MSN messenger myself. It opens up an advert on start-up when
left to its default setting but is easily configured not to. Should
Messenger play up I would switch to Trillian. It will handle AIM, Yahoo and
MSN Messenger communication.

Oxford Systems

"Sseadoubleyou" <SseadoubleyouATyahooDOTcom> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Starting this evening, everytime I launch the program and sign on, it
> keeps trying to play this stupid ass John Kerry promo video at the top of
> the AIM software/buddy list window.

Which version of AIM are you running? Each new release just gets loaded down
with more "ads and stuff".

> When I try to stop it,

How exactly do you try to "stop it"?

> the damn program freezes up on me and I have to do a control/alt/delete to
> close it out. Then it pops up a seperate window to try to play the video
> in a bigger window, has AOL now signed onto the John Kerry campaign?

Don't think so. They sell ads you know. Is it the fact that they are playing
an ad that bothers you or is it the fact that it's an ad for John Kerry?
Would you be complaining if it were an ad for the Chimp in Chief?

> This is ridiculous!

Well, it's a free program. No one makes you use it. I run version 5.1.3 and
have my options set so that I don't see ads and pop-up windows.

> I can't do a damn thing with the program,

Maybe you should try letting the ad load and play through since your efforst
to kill it seem to be the cause of your problems?

> can't talk to anyone

Try opening your mouth and speaking S-L-O-W-L-Y.

> or do crap!

Try Ex-Lax.

> I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it thinking the problem was on my
> end but it's not.

Oh, I dunno about that.

> Obviously AOL is once again doing what they do best, screwing around with
> other peoples computers.

Did AOL sneak into your home and install their software? If not...

John Barnes

Sseadoubleyou wrote:
> I have used Trillian before, I don't like it, there is alway
> sproblems with connections, been there done that. This AOL **** only
> started this evening, I was on AIM earlier today and there were no
> problems.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> Well, okay, but apparently AOL is selling ads to cover their free
>> products,
>> so you either live with the ads or switch.
>>
>> --
>> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
>> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

I've been using Trillian for quite a while now and i've never had any
problems. Nice little piece of work!

--

Life?

greyhawkmud

There's several options. Some of which has already been mentioned by others.

1) You could continue suffering with AOhell's ads.
(You could try writing AOL and bitch. hahaha!)

2) You could switch to an alternative "aim" program.
I think several people mentioned trillian, I prefer gaim.
If you think trillian sucks, you probably wont like gaim. (lmao)

3) You could look for the hacking progs for AIM on the net...
I seem to recall "hack aim" (or something like that) did a
great job at removing most/all ads.

4) OR you could stop using aim completely and use something
else. There's a variety of instant messenger progs around.

Maybe there's other options, but thats all I can think of atm.