Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > reboot problem

reboot problem

Bosjespeer

Hello everybody,
I have a big problem. My computer reboots frequently (10-15 times a day), so
i suspected a virus..... I used Norman and Panda Plantinum to discover it,
but both didn't find anything (and yes, they have been updated). Does anyone
know this problem, and has an answer to fix it? I use windows 2000.
Tnxs.... Peter

Pennywise

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 20:33:04 +0200, "Bosjespeer"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>Hello everybody,
|>I have a big problem. My computer reboots frequently (10-15 times a day), so
|>i suspected a virus..... I used Norman and Panda Plantinum to discover it,
|>but both didn't find anything (and yes, they have been updated). Does anyone
|>know this problem, and has an answer to fix it? I use windows 2000.

Run (WinKey+R) drwtsn32
and look at the application errors it will tell you what program is
causing your problem.

Another place to look is to run eventvwr

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
25 Oct 2004 20:33:04 +0200, "Bosjespeer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
screamed from behind the mulberry bush:

>Hello everybody,
>I have a big problem. My computer reboots frequently (10-15 times a day), so
>i suspected a virus..... I used Norman and Panda Plantinum to discover it,
>but both didn't find anything (and yes, they have been updated). Does anyone
>know this problem, and has an answer to fix it? I use windows 2000.
>Tnxs.... Peter

It's more than likely an over-heating problem. Take the cover off your
PC, take some canned air and blow the ****ing dust bunnies out of it.
I advise you to do this outside because if you're married, you're wife
will kick your ass. Make sure you especially blow the dirt out of the
heatsinks on the CPU and chipsets.

Walter Mautner

Bosjespeer wrote:

> Hello everybody,
> I have a big problem. My computer reboots frequently (10-15 times a day),
> so i suspected a virus..... I used Norman and Panda Plantinum to discover
> it, but both didn't find anything (and yes, they have been updated). Does
> anyone know this problem, and has an answer to fix it? I use windows 2000.
> Tnxs.... Peter

Take a look at the event viewer. And uncheck the "reboot on error" setting
to fetch the BSOD's.
Another thing is to look at "pc health" status (temperatures, supply
voltages). If you have a spare powersupply hanging around, exchange it.
*to*remove*offending*incompatible*products.**Reactivate*your*MS*software.
Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt*[LinuxCounter#295241]

Rob B.

"Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
> 25 Oct 2004 20:33:04 +0200, "Bosjespeer" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> screamed from behind the mulberry bush:
>
> >Hello everybody,
> >I have a big problem. My computer reboots frequently (10-15 times a day),

so
> >i suspected a virus..... I used Norman and Panda Plantinum to discover

it,
> >but both didn't find anything (and yes, they have been updated). Does

anyone
> >know this problem, and has an answer to fix it? I use windows 2000.
> >Tnxs.... Peter

> It's more than likely an over-heating problem. Take the cover off your
> PC, take some canned air and blow the ****ing dust bunnies out of it.
> I advise you to do this outside because if you're married, you're wife
> will kick your ass. Make sure you especially blow the dirt out of the
> heatsinks on the CPU and chipsets.

I agree on the overheat issue. Feel the back of the PC near the power
source and feel if there is any airflow, if there isn't, your powersupply is
not pushing the air outside the case as it should, rather leaving it inside.
AMD and older Intel chips will make your PC reboot if they overheat. The
P3/P4's have a heat sensor that when they get to hot will slow the processor
down to almost a crawl to prevent itself from burning out. Might want to
get some case fans ....

-Rob
Techhowto.org

Dan Evans

"Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I advise you to do this outside because if you're married, you're wife
> will kick your ass.

Aint that the ****ing truth - I got a right royal reaming when I cleaned
the office machines out. OK, I did do it on the coffee table when I was
watching the TV one evening, so I did kind of deserve it.

Dan

Glyn Bolan

Here's the link to a handy website that has the stinger virus scan if you
suspect a worm or virus etc..

http://vil.mcafeesecurity.com/vil/averttools.asp

"Bosjespeer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cljhiu$342$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello everybody,
> I have a big problem. My computer reboots frequently (10-15 times a day),
> so
> i suspected a virus..... I used Norman and Panda Plantinum to discover it,
> but both didn't find anything (and yes, they have been updated). Does
> anyone
> know this problem, and has an answer to fix it? I use windows 2000.
> Tnxs.... Peter

Hooter

Here's another one. I had a similar problem where my PC would reboot when
the fridge came on. It turned out to be a failing power supply which cooked
the whole system about two weeks after the problem first appeared.