Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows ME question

Windows ME question

Gerry Wolf

Interesting, yet familiar sounding problem. Friend calls asking if I have a
ME disk, which I don't. Upon asking what the problem was, he stated that
after installing a new printer onto his Compac computer(particulars unknown)
he rebooted and got the Error stating that explorer.exe was damaged and to
re-install windows. I seem to remember there was a way around that since he
has no OS disk. I asked if he could get to safe mode and he said that the
system went directly to the error screen.

I know it's vague, but if anyone has experienced this with ME, any info
would be helpful. I told him to call Compac and see what they say as he's
fearful of losing mp3 and personal picture files if he has to re-format.

Thanks so much...

Gerry

Nottoman

I would try a Win98 Startup disk and run scandisk on the drive.

"Gerry Wolf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9vYed.2529$(E-Mail Removed)-kc.rr.com...
> Interesting, yet familiar sounding problem. Friend calls asking if I have

> ME disk, which I don't. Upon asking what the problem was, he stated that
> after installing a new printer onto his Compac computer(particulars

unknown)
> he rebooted and got the Error stating that explorer.exe was damaged and to
> re-install windows. I seem to remember there was a way around that since

he
> has no OS disk. I asked if he could get to safe mode and he said that the
> system went directly to the error screen.
>
> I know it's vague, but if anyone has experienced this with ME, any info
> would be helpful. I told him to call Compac and see what they say as he's
> fearful of losing mp3 and personal picture files if he has to re-format.
>
> Thanks so much...
>
> Gerry

philo

"Nottoman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>I would try a Win98 Startup disk and run scandisk on the drive.

and you can get a win98 (or ME) bootdisk from www.bootdisk.com

btw: if you cannot fix the problem
you do not have to format the drive to reinstall windows

one option is to reinstall windows in a different folder...
if it works ...you will have to reinstall your apps...but all the data will
still be there (and the original windows folder can be deleted)