Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Supanet newsreader in UK

Supanet newsreader in UK

oldgit

A friend using Supanet is unable download newsgroups, getting a message
unable to connect to server. Doing a Google search I have found others with
the same problem who have not seemingly had any answers to it. We
tried connecting to other news servers with the same result, is there some
mysterious quirk that we need to discover.
We took it that the Supanet reader is readnews.supanet.com
Oldgit

Moderator

oldgit wrote:

> A friend using Supanet is unable download newsgroups, getting a message
> unable to connect to server. Doing a Google search I have found others

with
> the same problem who have not seemingly had any answers to it. We
> tried connecting to other news servers with the same result, is there some
> mysterious quirk that we need to discover.
> We took it that the Supanet reader is readnews.supanet.com
> Oldgit

ping readnews.supanet.com

Pinging chilli.nntp.netline.net.uk [213.40.130.33] with 32 bytes of data:

Ping statistics for 213.40.130.33:

http://www.supanet.com/support/

****ing stupid old ****.

--
ChuckIT
Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

oldgit

"Moderator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t.os.windows-xp...
> oldgit wrote:
>
>> A friend using Supanet is unable download newsgroups, getting a message
>> unable to connect to server. Doing a Google search I have found others

> with
>> the same problem who have not seemingly had any answers to it. We
>> tried connecting to other news servers with the same result, is there
>> some
>> mysterious quirk that we need to discover.
>> We took it that the Supanet reader is readnews.supanet.com
>> Oldgit

> ping readnews.supanet.com
>
> Pinging chilli.nntp.netline.net.uk [213.40.130.33] with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=239
> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=239
> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
>
> Ping statistics for 213.40.130.33:
> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
> Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 39ms
>
> http://www.supanet.com/support/
>
> ****ing stupid old ****.
>

> --
> ChuckIT
> Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

Should I be thanking you for your answer, which to a stupid old c**t was of
no f'ing help
Oldgit.

Moderator

oldgit wrote:

> "Moderator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t.os.windows-xp...
>> oldgit wrote:
>>
>>> A friend using Supanet is unable download newsgroups, getting a
>>> message unable to connect to server. Doing a Google search I have
>>> found others with the same problem who have not seemingly had any
>>> answers to it. We tried connecting to other news servers with the
>>> same result, is there some
>>> mysterious quirk that we need to discover.
>>> We took it that the Supanet reader is readnews.supanet.com
>>> Oldgit

>> ping readnews.supanet.com
>>
>> Pinging chilli.nntp.netline.net.uk [213.40.130.33] with 32 bytes of
>> data: Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=239
>> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=239
>> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
>> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
>>
>> Ping statistics for 213.40.130.33:
>> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
>> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
>> Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 39ms
>>
>> http://www.supanet.com/support/
>>
>> ****ing stupid old ****.

> Should I be thanking you for your answer,

Yes, but ...

> which to a stupid old c**t
> was of no f'ing help

I'm used to reading things like that. BTW, it's ok to write **** on usenet.
I doubt anyone will tell your mum.

The ping tells you that the server is alive and kicking. Make sure your
geriatric live-in lover has the port set correctly, to 119. He may or may
not need a user id and password to connect. It depends on if supanet
authenticate from the user IP or require a separate authentication for news
access. The really, really bad news is...

The link you were given was a ****ING HINT to get onto supanet support and
find out the correct settings. I had a look at their website for you. You
didn't seem to have the brains to do it yourself. That's why I gave you the
link. Supanet support is woeful. Help is nonexistent. Unless you can be more
specific with an error code, you're not going to get much further with that
crappy support website. Really, it's up the ****. Your friend actually pays
money to those people?

Take the link you were given.

> Oldgit.

It needs minor adjustment. Stupid old fart would be more accurate.

;->

--
ChuckIT
Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

oldgit

"Moderator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t.os.windows-xp...
> oldgit wrote:
>
>> "Moderator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) t.os.windows-xp...

>>> ping readnews.supanet.com
>>>
>>> Pinging chilli.nntp.netline.net.uk [213.40.130.33] with 32 bytes of
>>> data: Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=239
>>> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=239
>>> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
>>> Reply from 213.40.130.33: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=239
>>>
>>> Ping statistics for 213.40.130.33:
>>> Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
>>> Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
>>> Minimum = 38ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 39ms
>>>
>>> http://www.supanet.com/support/
>>>
>>> ****ing stupid old ****.

>> Should I be thanking you for your answer,

> Yes, but ...
>
>> which to a stupid old c**t
>> was of no f'ing help

> I'm used to reading things like that. BTW, it's ok to write **** on
> usenet.
> I doubt anyone will tell your mum.
>
> The ping tells you that the server is alive and kicking. Make sure your
> geriatric live-in lover has the port set correctly, to 119. He may or may
> not need a user id and password to connect. It depends on if supanet
> authenticate from the user IP or require a separate authentication for
> news
> access. The really, really bad news is...
>
> The link you were given was a ****ING HINT to get onto supanet support and
> find out the correct settings. I had a look at their website for you. You
> didn't seem to have the brains to do it yourself. That's why I gave you
> the
> link. Supanet support is woeful. Help is nonexistent. Unless you can be
> more
> specific with an error code, you're not going to get much further with
> that
> crappy support website. Really, it's up the ****. Your friend actually
> pays
> money to those people?
>
> Take the link you were given.
>
>> Oldgit.

> It needs minor adjustment. Stupid old fart would be more accurate.
>
> ;->
>
> --
> ChuckIT
> Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp

I had looked at the web site prior to posting but their online help is
confined to Outlook Express. Otherwise you need to E-Mail them which I was
trying to avoid and their help line costs her 50p a minute which she also
wants to avoid. So far as I am concerned everything is set correctly but she
gets "cannot connect to server"
Configuration:
Account: readnews.supanet.com
Server: readnews.supanet.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
It was very unfortunate that her young nephew told her that The Computer
Shop was a very a nice shop, so she ended up with a crap computer and a
modem set to connect to Supanews. Actually the computer already had a virus
on it when she turned it on for the first time.
Oldgit

Norbert Dentressangle

1 other thing to try.

Download another newsgroup reader like Forte Agent.
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php Go for the free trial.

See if you can connect to newsgroups using this.

BTW account sometimes means enter your account username and not "Account:
readnews.supanet.com"

ND

"oldgit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:clj87c$scd$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Moderator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) t.os.windows-xp...
> > oldgit wrote:
> >
> >> "Moderator" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) t.os.windows-xp...

> >> Should I be thanking you for your answer,

> > Yes, but ...
> >
> >> which to a stupid old c**t
> >> was of no f'ing help

> > I'm used to reading things like that. BTW, it's ok to write **** on
> > usenet.
> > I doubt anyone will tell your mum.
> >
> > The ping tells you that the server is alive and kicking. Make sure your
> > geriatric live-in lover has the port set correctly, to 119. He may or

may
> > not need a user id and password to connect. It depends on if supanet
> > authenticate from the user IP or require a separate authentication for
> > news
> > access. The really, really bad news is...
> >
> > The link you were given was a ****ING HINT to get onto supanet support

and
> > find out the correct settings. I had a look at their website for you.

You
> > didn't seem to have the brains to do it yourself. That's why I gave you
> > the
> > link. Supanet support is woeful. Help is nonexistent. Unless you can be
> > more
> > specific with an error code, you're not going to get much further with
> > that
> > crappy support website. Really, it's up the ****. Your friend actually
> > pays
> > money to those people?
> >
> > Take the link you were given.
> >
> >> Oldgit.

> > It needs minor adjustment. Stupid old fart would be more accurate.
> >
> > ;->
> >
> > --
> > ChuckIT
> > Moderator: alt.os.windows-xp
> >

> I had looked at the web site prior to posting but their online help is
> confined to Outlook Express. Otherwise you need to E-Mail them which I was
> trying to avoid and their help line costs her 50p a minute which she also
> wants to avoid. So far as I am concerned everything is set correctly but

she
> gets "cannot connect to server"
> Configuration:
> Account: readnews.supanet.com
> Server: readnews.supanet.com
> Protocol: NNTP
> Port: 119
> It was very unfortunate that her young nephew told her that The Computer
> Shop was a very a nice shop, so she ended up with a crap computer and a
> modem set to connect to Supanews. Actually the computer already had a

virus
> on it when she turned it on for the first time.
> Oldgit

Just Me

I was thinking of contributing to this forum but after reading the rather immature and foul mouthed answer to the original posters quite reasonable question I have decided to go elsewhere.

Unlike the so called Moderator (I can't really believe that) we weren't all fortunate enought to be born with infinite knowledge of all things, me thinks really he probably knows a lot less than he's pretending to know, so he knows how to ping, big deal, ping ping.

Supanet 1MB service problems LR Computer Support 0 12-31-2004 11:35 PM
Supanet Derek F. Computer Information 4 09-25-2004 12:45 PM
Tiny & Supanet! Cleb Computer Support 4 09-12-2004 08:42 PM
Supanet ISP connection Gra Computer Information 2 07-05-2004 10:24 PM
Supanet registration Richard Computer Support 1 01-05-2004 07:56 PM

Advertisments