Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Importing Email Messages

Importing Email Messages

Steve Meyerson

I'm trying to copy my email messages stored on my W98SE computer to
my XP-Home Ed. computer over the network. I'm using Outlook Express 6
on both computers.

With the Import function I can specify the meessage folder
(C:\Windows\Application Data\{EE....}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\) and
I confirmed the .dbx files are in this folder, but I get the message:

"No messages can be found in this folder or another application is
running that has the required files open...". But OE was not running
on the W98 machine (I checked the "Close Program" window to make
sure).

I tried to first Export the messages on my W98 computer, but the
message comes up "This will export messages from Outlook Express to
Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange" and even if I hit Ok, I get
"Error occurred while initializing MAPI.

Am I doing something wrong here or is it just not possible. Thanks for
any help.

Steve Meyerson

Paul - xxx

Steve Meyerson vaguely muttered something like ...
> I'm trying to copy my email messages stored on my W98SE computer to
> my XP-Home Ed. computer over the network. I'm using Outlook Express 6
> on both computers.
>
> With the Import function I can specify the meessage folder
> (C:\Windows\Application Data\{EE....}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\) and
> I confirmed the .dbx files are in this folder, but I get the message:
>
> "No messages can be found in this folder or another application is
> running that has the required files open...". But OE was not running
> on the W98 machine (I checked the "Close Program" window to make
> sure).
>
> I tried to first Export the messages on my W98 computer, but the
> message comes up "This will export messages from Outlook Express to
> Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Exchange" and even if I hit Ok, I get
> "Error occurred while initializing MAPI.
>
> Am I doing something wrong here or is it just not possible. Thanks for
> any help.
>
> Steve Meyerson

Use the XP Files and Settings transfer wizard ... Start - Programs -
Accessories - System Tools ... and follow the instructions ..

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules !!!

Steve Meyerson

Thanks, Paul, for the tip.

I tried it and had to do a few work-arounds to make it execute. The
idiot (microsoft?) who designed the interface for it ought to be shot.
First, XP must create a wizard disk for the old (W9 machine. I
have no floppy drive on my XP machine (probably a mistake). It
couldn't handle that, so it offered me a choice between drives G: & H:
G: is nothing and H: is my card reader for my camera (I have a flash
drive I could have used, but it couldn't see that).

Well, I used my cameras flash memory and it worked - unfortunately. It
lists a whole bunch of apps it will transfer, and I figured it would
let me select the Outlook Express app. It gathered 175Mb worth of
who-knows-what and went right into applying them to my new computer
without letting me select anything.

I didn't know it was going to be that dumb - it's all or nothing. I
spent the last 2-3 days setting up my new computer and didn't want to
override anything except the email messages. I was afraid to cancel in
fear of making it worse. Fortunately it froze without my help (XP more
stable??). I lost a few settings, including my task bar icons, but
overall, not too much damage (I hope).

PLASN B: I called Dell for support and they didn't know any other way
but the "Import" function. He said that doesn't always work (no
kidding!)

I guess I could forward the messages to myself, but there are probably
over 100 messages. If anyone knows another way to do it, I'd
appreciate your help. Thanks.

Steve M.

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 22:34:46 +0100, "Paul - xxx"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Steve Meyerson vaguely muttered something like ...
>> I'm trying to copy my email messages stored on my W98SE computer to
>> my XP-Home Ed. computer over the network. I'm using Outlook Express 6
>> on both computers.

>Use the XP Files and Settings transfer wizard ... Start - Programs -
>Accessories - System Tools ... and follow the instructions ..

Sunny

"Steve Meyerson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks, Paul, for the tip.
>
> I tried it and had to do a few work-arounds to make it execute. The
> idiot (microsoft?) who designed the interface for it ought to be shot.
> First, XP must create a wizard disk for the old (W9 machine. I
> have no floppy drive on my XP machine (probably a mistake). It
> couldn't handle that, so it offered me a choice between drives G: & H:
> G: is nothing and H: is my card reader for my camera (I have a flash
> drive I could have used, but it couldn't see that).
>
> Well, I used my cameras flash memory and it worked - unfortunately. It
> lists a whole bunch of apps it will transfer, and I figured it would
> let me select the Outlook Express app. It gathered 175Mb worth of
> who-knows-what and went right into applying them to my new computer
> without letting me select anything.
>
> I didn't know it was going to be that dumb - it's all or nothing. I
> spent the last 2-3 days setting up my new computer and didn't want to
> override anything except the email messages. I was afraid to cancel in
> fear of making it worse. Fortunately it froze without my help (XP more
> stable??). I lost a few settings, including my task bar icons, but
> overall, not too much damage (I hope).
>
> PLASN B: I called Dell for support and they didn't know any other way
> but the "Import" function. He said that doesn't always work (no
> kidding!)
>
> I guess I could forward the messages to myself, but there are probably
> over 100 messages. If anyone knows another way to do it, I'd
> appreciate your help. Thanks.

http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

Another way is to create a folder in the old OE e.g.
"Old Mail" and copy all the e-mails you want into it.
Close OE and "find" your .DBX files.
1. Copy the "Old Mail" dbx file and transfer it to your removable media.
2. Open OE on your new PC and create a folder "Old Mail".
3. Access the folder (to get OE to register it).
4. Close OE
5. Copy/paste the "Old Mail" dbx file from your removable media, to the
location of your .DBX files..
6. When windows asks if you want to replace the existing "Old Mail" file,
say yes.
HTH

Paul - xxx

Sorry it didn't work ..

Last time I used the Files and Settings transfer ISTR that I could pick and
choose very easily between what I wanted to save / copy / transfer,
regarding files, and similarly with the sources / destinations I wanted to
copy them to. though of course ICBW. I would guess you have a 'deeper'
problem with the OS installation, so perhaps a repair of the XP installation
might work .. Just put in the XP cd and select the repair option when asked

Paul wrote:
..... perhaps a repair of the XP installation
might work .. Just put in the XP cd and select the repair option when
asked

Both good ideas. Thanks. I previously copied the dbx files from my old
computer to my new one, but it didn't work - my method was probably
too simplistic. I will try the steps you suggested, Sunny, before
"repairing". The computers are networked so I don't think I will have
to use removable media.

Steve

Steve Meyerson

No problem finding the .dbx files on my W98 computer, but I can't find
the .dbx files on my XP computer.

On my XP machine the 2 folders under ...\Application
Data\Identities\<real long name>\ are empty, yet I have folders
created with messages in OE6 on my XP machine. Also I can find no
*.dbx files using the search facility (My explorer preferences allows
me to view system & hidden files). Any idea where XP hides the
messages?

Steve M.

samuel

Steve Meyerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> No problem finding the .dbx files on my W98 computer, but I can't
> find the .dbx files on my XP computer.
>
> On my XP machine the 2 folders under ...\Application
> Data\Identities\<real long name>\ are empty, yet I have folders
> created with messages in OE6 on my XP machine. Also I can find no
> *.dbx files using the search facility (My explorer preferences
> allows me to view system & hidden files). Any idea where XP hides
> the messages?
>
> Steve M.

should be
c:\documents and settings
\name of your acct\local setting
\application data\identities
\long-name-as-you-say\microsoft\oe

found this if you need visual
http://www.updatexp.com/tip21.html

google for more or ask at microsoft.public.windows. group

Steve Meyerson

On 21 Oct 2004 02:34:57 GMT, samuel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>should be
>c:\documents and settings
>\name of your acct\local setting
>\application data\identities
>\long-name-as-you-say\microsoft\oe
>

>found this if you need visual
>http://www.updatexp.com/tip21.html

SUCCESS! Thank you Samuel.

I was looking in the ...\Application Data folder instead of ....\Local
Settings. Also, I didn't turn on the hidden file option in XP's Search
function - that's why I couldn't find the dbx's.

Using OE6's Import function instead of copying the files directly into
the OE folder was also a key because apparently, the files have to be
"converted" from W98 to XP (I guess I did pretty much everything
wrong). The web site you referred me to explained it fairly well.

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate your help.

Steve Meyerson

samuel

Steve Meyerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On 21 Oct 2004 02:34:57 GMT, samuel <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>should be
>>c:\documents and settings
>>\name of your acct\local setting
>>\application data\identities \long-name-as-you-say\microsoft\oe
>>

>>found this if you need visual http://www.updatexp.com/tip21.html
>>

> SUCCESS! Thank you Samuel.

you're welcome