Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > How do you set up http://localhost?

How do you set up http://localhost?

M Skabialka

After you install Visual Studio 2003 on Windows XP Pro, what else do you
have to do in order to create web applications.

When I try it tryies to locate it at
http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1

I don't have localhost set up. How is that done?

Thanks,
Mich

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

at a command prompt or at the run dialog box, run inetmgr (internet service
manager)
find your default website, and pull up the property pages. examine the path
for the virtual directory. this path maps to local host. for instance, it
may map to c:\inetpub\wwwroot by default. next, examine the quickstart
folder in inetmgr, it should be configured as a virtual directory. if it
isn't you will need to turn it into a virtual directory. then your link
should work

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
"M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> After you install Visual Studio 2003 on Windows XP Pro, what else do you
> have to do in order to create web applications.
>
> When I try it tryies to locate it at
> http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
>
> I don't have localhost set up. How is that done?
>
> Thanks,
> Mich

singh_angrez@rediffmail.com

Hi,

Just check by typing http://localhost/ in the browser. If you get help
page on iis then its ok. else install iis first and then go for web
applications.
if iis is installed then try the above solution given by Alvin

Regards,
angrez

M Skabialka

I opened IIS as you suggested, and found the default website. In properties
it says that the local path is "c:\inetpub\wwwroot".

However, there is no quickstart folder; there are these:

MyPC (local computer)
Web Sites
IISHelp
Scripts
tsweb
AspDotNetIntroLab1
aspnet_client
aspnet_webadmin
images
MovieReviews
TestASP
WebApplication1
_private
_vti_cnf
_vti_log
_vti_pvt
_vti_script
_vti_txt
Default SMTP Virtual Server
Domains
Current Sessions

How do I get a quickstart folder in there, and how so I set it up as a
virtual directory?
Thanks
Mich

"Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> at a command prompt or at the run dialog box, run inetmgr (internet
> service manager)
> find your default website, and pull up the property pages. examine the
> path for the virtual directory. this path maps to local host. for
> instance, it may map to c:\inetpub\wwwroot by default. next, examine the
> quickstart folder in inetmgr, it should be configured as a virtual
> directory. if it isn't you will need to turn it into a virtual directory.
> then your link should work
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP
>
> [Shameless Author Plug]
> Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
> "M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> After you install Visual Studio 2003 on Windows XP Pro, what else do you
>> have to do in order to create web applications.
>>
>> When I try it tries to locate it at
>> http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
>>
>> I don't have localhost set up. How is that done?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mich

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

the quickstart application is not on your drive. even if you created it, you
don't have the files. you can have a look for the quickstart application on
the installation cd or on the web if you care to spend time looking

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
"M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I opened IIS as you suggested, and found the default website. In
>properties it says that the local path is "c:\inetpub\wwwroot".
>
> However, there is no quickstart folder; there are these:
>
> MyPC (local computer)
> Web Sites
> IISHelp
> Scripts
> tsweb
> AspDotNetIntroLab1
> aspnet_client
> aspnet_webadmin
> images
> MovieReviews
> TestASP
> WebApplication1
> _private
> _vti_cnf
> _vti_log
> _vti_pvt
> _vti_script
> _vti_txt
> Default SMTP Virtual Server
> Domains
> Current Sessions
>
> How do I get a quickstart folder in there, and how so I set it up as a
> virtual directory?
> Thanks
> Mich
>
> "Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> at a command prompt or at the run dialog box, run inetmgr (internet
>> service manager)
>> find your default website, and pull up the property pages. examine the
>> path for the virtual directory. this path maps to local host. for
>> instance, it may map to c:\inetpub\wwwroot by default. next, examine the
>> quickstart folder in inetmgr, it should be configured as a virtual
>> directory. if it isn't you will need to turn it into a virtual directory.
>> then your link should work
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP
>>
>> [Shameless Author Plug]
>> The Microsoft Office Web Components Black Book with .NET
>> Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
>> "M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> After you install Visual Studio 2003 on Windows XP Pro, what else do you
>>> have to do in order to create web applications.
>>>
>>> When I try it tries to locate it at
>>> http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
>>>
>>> I don't have localhost set up. How is that done?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mich

M Skabialka

I uninstalled all versions of .NET Framework, then reinstalled 1.1 and SDK.
I un and reinstalled MSDE 2000 and now in IIS there is a quickstart item.
Not knowing how to open these items I searched for .sln files and opened one
OK. However, when I try to create a new web application, the default site
is http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
and I get an error
The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http//:localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) is running.
IIS is running and shows a default web site.

I still can't create Web Applications with Visual Studio 2003 60 day trial.
I am still new to this kind of software, and am not sure what to try next.

Any advise would be very appreciated,
Thanks,
Mich

"Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the quickstart application is not on your drive. even if you created it,
> you don't have the files. you can have a look for the quickstart
> application on the installation cd or on the web if you care to spend time
> looking
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP
>
> [Shameless Author Plug]
> Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
> "M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I opened IIS as you suggested, and found the default website. In
>>properties it says that the local path is "c:\inetpub\wwwroot".
>>
>> However, there is no quickstart folder; there are these:
>>
>> MyPC (local computer)
>> Web Sites
>> IISHelp
>> Scripts
>> tsweb
>> AspDotNetIntroLab1
>> aspnet_client
>> aspnet_webadmin
>> images
>> MovieReviews
>> TestASP
>> WebApplication1
>> _private
>> _vti_cnf
>> _vti_log
>> _vti_pvt
>> _vti_script
>> _vti_txt
>> Default SMTP Virtual Server
>> Domains
>> Current Sessions
>>
>> How do I get a quickstart folder in there, and how so I set it up as a
>> virtual directory?
>> Thanks
>> Mich
>>
>> "Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> at a command prompt or at the run dialog box, run inetmgr (internet
>>> service manager)
>>> find your default website, and pull up the property pages. examine the
>>> path for the virtual directory. this path maps to local host. for
>>> instance, it may map to c:\inetpub\wwwroot by default. next, examine the
>>> quickstart folder in inetmgr, it should be configured as a virtual
>>> directory. if it isn't you will need to turn it into a virtual
>>> directory. then your link should work
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP
>>>
>>> [Shameless Author Plug]
>>> The Microsoft Office Web Components Black Book with .NET
>>> Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
>>> "M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]

go to the file project, select new project, give it a default name. from
that point, your application should open. Is that what you are doing (from
Visual Studio?)

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP

[Shameless Author Plug]
Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
"M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:eQXPu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I uninstalled all versions of .NET Framework, then reinstalled 1.1 and SDK.
>I un and reinstalled MSDE 2000 and now in IIS there is a quickstart item.
> Not knowing how to open these items I searched for .sln files and opened
> one OK. However, when I try to create a new web application, the default
> site is http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
> and I get an error
> The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
> open the Web project located at the following URL:
> 'http//:localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.
>
> SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) is running.
> IIS is running and shows a default web site.
>
> I still can't create Web Applications with Visual Studio 2003 60 day
> trial.
> I am still new to this kind of software, and am not sure what to try next.
>
> Any advise would be very appreciated,
> Thanks,
> Mich
>
> "Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> the quickstart application is not on your drive. even if you created it,
>> you don't have the files. you can have a look for the quickstart
>> application on the installation cd or on the web if you care to spend
>> time looking
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP
>>
>> [Shameless Author Plug]
>> The Microsoft Office Web Components Black Book with .NET
>> Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
>> "M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I opened IIS as you suggested, and found the default website. In
>>>properties it says that the local path is "c:\inetpub\wwwroot".
>>>
>>> However, there is no quickstart folder; there are these:
>>>
>>> MyPC (local computer)
>>> Web Sites
>>> IISHelp
>>> Scripts
>>> tsweb
>>> AspDotNetIntroLab1
>>> aspnet_client
>>> aspnet_webadmin
>>> images
>>> MovieReviews
>>> TestASP
>>> WebApplication1
>>> _private
>>> _vti_cnf
>>> _vti_log
>>> _vti_pvt
>>> _vti_script
>>> _vti_txt
>>> Default SMTP Virtual Server
>>> Domains
>>> Current Sessions
>>>
>>> How do I get a quickstart folder in there, and how so I set it up as a
>>> virtual directory?
>>> Thanks
>>> Mich
>>>
>>> "Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

M Skabialka

I open Visual Studio, go to File, New, Project.
I select ASP .Net Web Application
The name and default location is http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
I click OK, then get the message:
The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
open the Web project located at the following URL:
'http//:localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.

If I try Explorer to see what is at this location
http://localhost/quickstart
I get an error 500 - The page cannot be displayed

I can create Windows Applications, but not ASP .Net Web Applications.
I am using WinXP Pro, and VS .NET 2003 60 day trial (whose time is running
out!)

Mich

"Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> go to the file project, select new project, give it a default name. from
> that point, your application should open. Is that what you are doing (from
> Visual Studio?)
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP
>
> [Shameless Author Plug]
> Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
> "M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:eQXPu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I uninstalled all versions of .NET Framework, then reinstalled 1.1 and
>>SDK. I un and reinstalled MSDE 2000 and now in IIS there is a quickstart
>>item.
>> Not knowing how to open these items I searched for .sln files and opened
>> one OK. However, when I try to create a new web application, the default
>> site is http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
>> and I get an error
>> The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
>> open the Web project located at the following URL:
>> 'http//:localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server
>> Error'.
>>
>> SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) is running.
>> IIS is running and shows a default web site.
>>
>> I still can't create Web Applications with Visual Studio 2003 60 day
>> trial.
>> I am still new to this kind of software, and am not sure what to try
>> next.
>>
>> Any advise would be very appreciated,
>> Thanks,
>> Mich
>>
>> "Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> the quickstart application is not on your drive. even if you created it,
>>> you don't have the files. you can have a look for the quickstart
>>> application on the installation cd or on the web if you care to spend
>>> time looking
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>> Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP
>>>
>>> [Shameless Author Plug]
>>> The Microsoft Office Web Components Black Book with .NET
>>> Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
>>> "M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Nassos

Hi Man,
What you need is to setup the IIS of windows, to do this go to add/remove
programs -->Windows Components, and in the list that apears check the IIS
put the CD of windows and thats ALL!!!
Hope that helps.
"M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I open Visual Studio, go to File, New, Project.
> I select ASP .Net Web Application
> The name and default location is
> http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
> I click OK, then get the message:
> The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
> open the Web project located at the following URL:
> 'http//:localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error'.
>
> If I try Explorer to see what is at this location
> http://localhost/quickstart
> I get an error 500 - The page cannot be displayed
>
> I can create Windows Applications, but not ASP .Net Web Applications.
> I am using WinXP Pro, and VS .NET 2003 60 day trial (whose time is running
> out!)
>
> Mich
>
> "Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> go to the file project, select new project, give it a default name. from
>> that point, your application should open. Is that what you are doing
>> (from Visual Studio?)
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Alvin Bruney - ASP.NET MVP
>>
>> [Shameless Author Plug]
>> The Microsoft Office Web Components Black Book with .NET
>> Now available @ www.lulu.com/owc
>> "M Skabialka" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:eQXPu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I uninstalled all versions of .NET Framework, then reinstalled 1.1 and
>>>SDK. I un and reinstalled MSDE 2000 and now in IIS there is a quickstart
>>>item.
>>> Not knowing how to open these items I searched for .sln files and opened
>>> one OK. However, when I try to create a new web application, the
>>> default site is http://localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1
>>> and I get an error
>>> The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or
>>> open the Web project located at the following URL:
>>> 'http//:localhost/quickstart/WebApplication1' 'HTTP/1.1 500 Server
>>> Error'.
>>>
>>> SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) is running.
>>> IIS is running and shows a default web site.
>>>
>>> I still can't create Web Applications with Visual Studio 2003 60 day
>>> trial.
>>> I am still new to this kind of software, and am not sure what to try
>>> next.
>>>
>>> Any advise would be very appreciated,
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mich
>>>
>>> "Alvin Bruney [MVP - ASP.NET]" <www.lulu.com/owc> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

M Skabialka

SQL Server (SQLEXPRESS) is running.
IIS is running and shows a default web site.

Something else is wrong somewhere!!!!
I have removed and reinstalled every aspect of Visual Studio, .Net
Framework, IIS, MSDE, etc...
And still it doesn't work!

Mich

news:(E-Mail Removed)...