Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hotmail to charge

Hotmail to charge

Bruce the Shark

The Tech Guy wrote:

> Ya now its hard to check any FREE email service with outlook express

Perhaps web-based mail, but OE can check any free POP mail with no
problems. Besides, there are numerous free apps that can get your
Hotmail/YahooMail/etc for you, directly into Outlook Express, so
you don't have to pay Hotmail/Yahoo for the privilege.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Bruce the Shark mused:

| Perhaps web-based mail, but OE can check any free POP mail with no
| problems. Besides, there are numerous free apps that can get your
| Hotmail/YahooMail/etc for you, directly into Outlook Express, so
| you don't have to pay Hotmail/Yahoo for the privilege.

I would wager that Hotmail will be locked down from all non-website
email retrieval regardless of application ... unless the account is of a
certain (re: paid) status. What are some of these other apps?

the lift bridge

Going slightly off the thread , I have taken a look at Thunderbird and it
looks more impressive than outlook express, especially impressive is the
junk mail features , however does anyone know how to get the newsgroups set
up on it.

"Bruce the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> the lift bridge wrote:
>
>> I use outlook express for my pop3 account and hotmail accounts,
>> rumour has it that MSN are going to charge for retrieving hotmail
>> through outlook and outlook express next year. Can anyone confirm if
>> this is the case.

> True. But don't sweat it, there's heaps of free apps that can get
> your Hotmail for you through Outlook/Outlook Express. Same applies
> for Yahoo Mail too.

totsob

the lift bridge wrote:
> Going slightly off the thread , I have taken a look at Thunderbird and it
> looks more impressive than outlook express, especially impressive is the
> junk mail features , however does anyone know how to get the newsgroups set
> up on it.
>
> "Bruce the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>the lift bridge wrote:
>>

>>>I use outlook express for my pop3 account and hotmail accounts,
>>>rumour has it that MSN are going to charge for retrieving hotmail
>>>through outlook and outlook express next year. Can anyone confirm if
>>>this is the case.

>>True. But don't sweat it, there's heaps of free apps that can get
>>your Hotmail for you through Outlook/Outlook Express. Same applies
>>for Yahoo Mail too.

Go to tools-add account-news then enter your settings.

Bruce the Shark

mhicaoidh wrote:

> What are some of these other apps?

Off the top of my head, POP Peeper ( http://www.poppeeper.com/ ) is one.

Hotmail Popper WAS another, but the author has chickened out and won't
support basic Hotmail accounts anymore.

Rick12N4@netscape.net

Going slightly off the thread , I have taken a look at Thunderbird and
it looks more impressive than outlook express,
especially impressive is the junk mail features , however does anyone
know how to get the newsgroups set up on it.

Go to tools-add account-news then enter your settings.

Thanks for the heads-up - the earlier versions of Thunderbird were
newsgroup-deprived,
which is why I stuck to full-blown Mozilla. Glad to see that the
back-room programmers
have continued to put out useful stuff.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, the lift bridge mused:

| Going slightly off the thread , I have taken a look at Thunderbird and it
| looks more impressive than outlook express, especially impressive is the
| junk mail features , however does anyone know how to get the newsgroups
| set up on it.

I use Thunderbird for my mail client, and it is quite nice.

Bruce the Shark

mhicaoidh wrote:

> I use Thunderbird for my mail client, and it is quite nice

I'd dearly love to use Thunderbird, but can't, because it doesn't sync
its contacts with my Pocket PC. Hence, I'm stuck with Outlook.

Fred

> I'd dearly love to use Thunderbird, but can't, because it doesn't sync
> its contacts with my Pocket PC. Hence, I'm stuck with Outlook.

Many people are stuck with Outlook.

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Bruce the Shark mused:

| I'd dearly love to use Thunderbird, but can't, because it doesn't sync
| its contacts with my Pocket PC. Hence, I'm stuck with Outlook.

Have you checked for an Extension that would allow it to sync?