Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > retaining certain cookies during maintenance routine?

retaining certain cookies during maintenance routine?

frankg

During a maintenance clean-up, what app or method do you use to retain the
cookies you actually want to keep, for sites you have to sign into
frequently? Manually selecting them is tedious.

Dan Evans

"frankg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:be7dd.45973$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> During a maintenance clean-up, what app or method do you use to retain the
> cookies you actually want to keep, for sites you have to sign into
> frequently? Manually selecting them is tedious.

Go through the folder manually once and mark the ones you want to keep as
read only. I haven't tried this (I'm on Firefox, and only allow session
cookies), so if there is a clever MS "gotcha" about cookies, you may get
bitten. I'm confident this would work though.

Dan

frankg

> > During a maintenance clean-up, what app or method do you use to retain

the
> > cookies you actually want to keep, for sites you have to sign into
> > frequently? Manually selecting them is tedious.

> Go through the folder manually once and mark the ones you want to keep as
> read only. I haven't tried this (I'm on Firefox, and only allow session
> cookies), so if there is a clever MS "gotcha" about cookies, you may get
> bitten. I'm confident this would work though.

nope, i changed the properties of one example to read only (from archive)
but it could still be deleted

Jamco

set internet explorer to block all cookies, except for the sites that you
want to keep the cookies for. If you run accross a site that doesn't work
without cookies, add it to the list of sites that you allow cookies from.
Works good for me, seems about 95% of websites work fine with their cookies
blocked..

"frankg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E18dd.45990$(E-Mail Removed). ..

>> > During a maintenance clean-up, what app or method do you use to retain

> the
>> > cookies you actually want to keep, for sites you have to sign into
>> > frequently? Manually selecting them is tedious.

>> Go through the folder manually once and mark the ones you want to keep as
>> read only. I haven't tried this (I'm on Firefox, and only allow session
>> cookies), so if there is a clever MS "gotcha" about cookies, you may get
>> bitten. I'm confident this would work though.
>>

> nope, i changed the properties of one example to read only (from archive)
> but it could still be deleted

Dan Evans

"frankg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E18dd.45990$(E-Mail Removed). ..

> > > During a maintenance clean-up, what app or method do you use to retain

> the
> > > cookies you actually want to keep, for sites you have to sign into
> > > frequently? Manually selecting them is tedious.

> > Go through the folder manually once and mark the ones you want to keep

as
> > read only. I haven't tried this (I'm on Firefox, and only allow session
> > cookies), so if there is a clever MS "gotcha" about cookies, you may get
> > bitten. I'm confident this would work though.
> >

> nope, i changed the properties of one example to read only (from archive)
> but it could still be deleted

was this deleting from internet options, or from explorer? Which ever you
tried (I'm guessing Internet OPtions), try the other and see what happens.
Apart from that, I'd say go the way suggested by Jamco

Dan

°Mike°

CookiPal
http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:54:03 -0400, in
<be7dd.45973$(E-Mail Removed)>
frankg scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

frankg

It's your published maintenance routine that i use (ie cache, hdvalet, etc.)
and that wipes out my needed 'sign in' sites - so this little app will do
the trick then ?

--
xx
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> CookiPal
> http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html
>

> On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:54:03 -0400, in
> <be7dd.45973$(E-Mail Removed)>
> frankg scrawled:
>
> >During a maintenance clean-up, what app or method do you use to retain

the
> >cookies you actually want to keep, for sites you have to sign into
> >frequently? Manually selecting them is tedious.
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

If you followed my routine correctly you wouldn't be
deleting cookies manually, but yes, it will do the trick
because you will not get *any* cookies on your system
that you don't want...period. I use it.

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:05:10 -0400, in
<zusdd.25798$(E-Mail Removed)>
frankg scrawled:

>It's your published maintenance routine that i use (ie cache, hdvalet, etc.)
>and that wipes out my needed 'sign in' sites - so this little app will do
>the trick then ?

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> CookiPal
>> http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

frankg

To the letter Mike, I'm a faithful follower
I don't delete them manually.
But after each maintenance routine - my login / sign-in priviledges to
particular sites are gone. Maybe I'm mistaken about where these 'user name'
and 'passwords' logins are kept on my machine.

> If you followed my routine correctly you wouldn't be
> deleting cookies manually, but yes, it will do the trick
> because you will not get *any* cookies on your system
> that you don't want...period. I use it.
>

> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:05:10 -0400, in
> <zusdd.25798$(E-Mail Removed)>
> frankg scrawled:
>
> >It's your published maintenance routine that i use (ie cache, hdvalet,

etc.)
> >and that wipes out my needed 'sign in' sites - so this little app will do
> >the trick then ?
> >
> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> CookiPal
> >> http://www.kburra.com/cpal.html

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

But you said: "Manually selecting them is tedious."?!

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 14:47:25 -0400, in
<Enydd.25992$(E-Mail Removed)>
frankg scrawled: