Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Update & Freespace(help)

Windows Update & Freespace(help)

gary

Hi
I updated my Windows Update & ther was 18 critical updates & it takes 40
mins.
After, i notice that all is slower, when i click on a website, it takes
ages for the 2 green monitors in the bottom right corner to light up & bring
the site, like a minute!
I thought updating was to help the pc & is beneficial, i've yet to know
how!!

My p.c say that i have: Capacity 1.99 GB
Used 1.10 GB
Free 918 MB

Is this ok!, when i go to performance/via 'my computer', i see 78% free!, do
i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running slow!

Cheers
Gaz(novice)

samuel

"gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:cl18hb$jdb$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi
> I updated my Windows Update & ther was 18 critical updates & it
> takes 40 mins.
> After, i notice that all is slower, when i click on a website,
> it takes
> ages for the 2 green monitors in the bottom right corner to light
> up & bring the site, like a minute!
> I thought updating was to help the pc & is beneficial, i've yet to
> know how!!
>
> My p.c say that i have: Capacity 1.99 GB
> Used 1.10 GB
> Free 918 MB
>
> Is this ok!, when i go to performance/via 'my computer', i see 78%
> free!, do i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running
> slow!
>
> Cheers
> Gaz(novice)

very tiny hard drive not much free space
and your memory is 78% freed up thats good

read mikes site
Basic computer maintenance

philo

"gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cl18hb$jdb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi
> I updated my Windows Update & ther was 18 critical updates & it takes 40
> mins.
> After, i notice that all is slower, when i click on a website, it takes
> ages for the 2 green monitors in the bottom right corner to light up &
> bring
> the site, like a minute!
> I thought updating was to help the pc & is beneficial, i've yet to know
> how!!
>
> My p.c say that i have: Capacity 1.99 GB
> Used 1.10 GB
> Free 918 MB
>
> Is this ok!, when i go to performance/via 'my computer', i see 78% free!,
> do
> i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running slow!
>
> Cheers
> Gaz(novice)

free space on your drive does not have anything to do with performance
(unless the drive is almost totally full)
the windows updates usually are security related and do not generally
have anything to do with performance

to get better performance
you can run msconfig and take unneeded apps out of statup...
also defrag your harddrive

Use.Netuser.de

"gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> Hi
> I updated my Windows Update & ther was 18 critical updates & it takes 40
> mins.
> After, i notice that all is slower, when i click on a website, it takes
> ages for the 2 green monitors in the bottom right corner to light up &

bring
> the site, like a minute!
> I thought updating was to help the pc & is beneficial, i've yet to know
> how!!
>
> My p.c say that i have: Capacity 1.99 GB
> Used 1.10 GB
> Free 918 MB
>
> Is this ok!, when i go to performance/via 'my computer', i see 78% free!,

do
> i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running slow!

WTF OS are you running on 1GB? Sheesh I have an OLD laptop P111-500 with
10GB (4 years old) and another with 3GB (P150)

gary

Hi
I ran msconfig & changed the settings to start as normal as apposed to
the custom settings & the 3 boxes clicked at the bottom.
What does this do, changing to normal startup settings, i see no obvious
changes!
Cheers
Gaz
philo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cl18hb$jdb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi
> > I updated my Windows Update & ther was 18 critical updates & it takes 40
> > mins.
> > After, i notice that all is slower, when i click on a website, it

takes
> > ages for the 2 green monitors in the bottom right corner to light up &
> > bring
> > the site, like a minute!
> > I thought updating was to help the pc & is beneficial, i've yet to know
> > how!!
> >
> > My p.c say that i have: Capacity 1.99 GB
> > Used 1.10 GB
> > Free 918 MB
> >
> > Is this ok!, when i go to performance/via 'my computer', i see 78%

free!,
> > do
> > i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running slow!
> >
> > Cheers
> > Gaz(novice)
> >

> free space on your drive does not have anything to do with performance
> (unless the drive is almost totally full)
> the windows updates usually are security related and do not generally
> have anything to do with performance
>
> to get better performance
> you can run msconfig and take unneeded apps out of statup...
> also defrag your harddrive

gary

WTF is OS
I just need my pc for email & internet, nothing else, no
fancy programmes & games, very simple!
gaz
Use.Netuser.de <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> > Hi
> > I updated my Windows Update & ther was 18 critical updates & it takes 40
> > mins.
> > After, i notice that all is slower, when i click on a website, it

takes
> > ages for the 2 green monitors in the bottom right corner to light up &

> bring
> > the site, like a minute!
> > I thought updating was to help the pc & is beneficial, i've yet to know
> > how!!
> >
> > My p.c say that i have: Capacity 1.99 GB
> > Used 1.10 GB
> > Free 918 MB
> >
> > Is this ok!, when i go to performance/via 'my computer', i see 78%

free!,
> do
> > i have loads of freespace & if so, why is it running slow!

> WTF OS are you running on 1GB? Sheesh I have an OLD laptop P111-500 with
> 10GB (4 years old) and another with 3GB (P150)

samuel

"gary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> WTF is OS
> I just need my pc for email & internet, nothing
> else, no
> fancy programmes & games, very simple!
> gaz

> Use.Netuser.de <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

...cut..

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

read mikes site
Basic computer maintenance

HTH

G. Morgan

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 19:41:22 +0100 "gary"
used 33 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>WTF is OS

WTF is WTF?

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email