Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > sort ascending not working

sort ascending not working

geopelia

In my newsgroup messages, "sort ascending" and "sort descending" in View
are not working. This happened today.

How do I fix this please? The Help menu doesn't seem to cover this.

Thank you

Geopelia

~Joanne420~

Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by "sent" and
not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make it seem like
ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I often am!

"geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:daBcd.58$(E-Mail Removed)...
| In my newsgroup messages, "sort ascending" and "sort descending" in View
| are not working. This happened today.
|
| How do I fix this please? The Help menu doesn't seem to cover this.
|
| Thank you
|
| Geopelia

Gideon Stargrave

~Joanne420~ wrote:
> Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by "sent" and
> not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make it seem like
> ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I often am!
>
> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:daBcd.58$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | In my newsgroup messages, "sort ascending" and "sort descending" in View
> | are not working. This happened today.
> |
> | How do I fix this please? The Help menu doesn't seem to cover this.
> |
> | Thank you
> |
> | Geopelia

what is your client?
g-

geopelia

"~Joanne420~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by "sent" and
> not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make it seem like
> ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I often am!

Maybe you have a different program, I have Windows ME.

I go to View -sort b-Sort ascending (or sort descending)

There is nothing like subject or from in "sort by".

Usually this works, suddenly the dates are all mixed up.

Thank you
Geopelia

> "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:daBcd.58$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | In my newsgroup messages, "sort ascending" and "sort descending" in View
> | are not working. This happened today.
> |
> | How do I fix this please? The Help menu doesn't seem to cover this.
> |
> | Thank you
> |
> | Geopelia

Toolman Tim

>| > "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| > news:daBcd.58$(E-Mail Removed)...
>| > |
>| > |
>| > |
>| "~Joanne420~" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| > Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by
>| > "sent" and not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make
>| > it seem like ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I
>| > often am!
>|
>| Maybe you have a different program, I have Windows ME.
>|
>| I go to View -sort b-Sort ascending (or sort descending)
>|
>| There is nothing like subject or from in "sort by".
>|
>| Usually this works, suddenly the dates are all mixed up.
>|
>| Thank you
>| Geopelia

Okay - you are using Microsoft Outlook Express version 5.5 somthing or
other. So you need to look at the column headers in your view window. The
first header says "Subject", the second says "From" and the third says
"Sent". Click on the word "Sent". You have just sorted your news group posts
by date. Now, if it is top to bottom instead of bottom to top, click on it
again and it reverses itself. Of course, if you want to search by subject,
click on "Subject", find what you are looking for, then remember to click on
"Sent" again to put everything back in order. Neat, huh?

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

geopelia

"Gideon Stargrave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:20Dcd.6448$(E-Mail Removed)...
> ~Joanne420~ wrote:
> > Have you checked to make sure that you are also being sorted by "sent"

and
> > not something like "subject" or "From"? That will make it seem like
> > ascend/descend is not working. I may be wrong, I often am!
> >
> > "geopelia" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:daBcd.58$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > | In my newsgroup messages, "sort ascending" and "sort descending" in

View
> > | are not working. This happened today.
> > |
> > | How do I fix this please? The Help menu doesn't seem to cover this.
> > |
> > | Thank you
> > |
> > | Geopelia
> > |

> what is your client?
> g-

I'm not sure what client is, do you mean my ISP which is xtra?
I'm in the newsgroup nz.general, but the problem now is in all my newsgroups
in news.xtra.co.nz

Geopelia

geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >| > |
> >| > |
> >| > |

> >| Maybe you have a different program, I have Windows ME.
> >|
> >| I go to View -sort b-Sort ascending (or sort descending)
> >|
> >| There is nothing like subject or from in "sort by".
> >|
> >| Usually this works, suddenly the dates are all mixed up.
> >|
> >| Thank you
> >| Geopelia
> >| >

> Okay - you are using Microsoft Outlook Express version 5.5 somthing or
> other. So you need to look at the column headers in your view window. The
> first header says "Subject", the second says "From" and the third says
> "Sent". Click on the word "Sent". You have just sorted your news group

posts
> by date. Now, if it is top to bottom instead of bottom to top, click on it
> again and it reverses itself. Of course, if you want to search by subject,
> click on "Subject", find what you are looking for, then remember to click

on
> "Sent" again to put everything back in order. Neat, huh?
>
> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Thank you, so simple if you know how! Your advice to dumb people like me is
always so helpful.

Now why, whenever I click the index in "Help", does every subject imaginable
come up except the very one I am looking for? Don't answer that, rhetorical
question!

Geopelia

Toolman Tim

>| "Gideon Stargrave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:20Dcd.6448$(E-Mail Removed)...

>| > > |
>| > > |
>| > > |
>| > > |
>| > > |

>| > what is your client?
>| > g-
>|
>| I'm not sure what client is, do you mean my ISP which is xtra?
>| I'm in the newsgroup nz.general, but the problem now is in all my
>| newsgroups in news.xtra.co.nz
>|
>| Geopelia

By "client", he was asking about the program you are using to read your
newsgroups and email. That, of course, would be Microsoft Outlook Express.
An older version, to be sure, but it still should be working the same as the
new one.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Toolman Tim

>| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| > >| > |
>| > >| > |
>| > >| > |
>| > >|
>| > >|
>| > >|
>| > >|
>| > >|

>| > Okay - you are using Microsoft Outlook Express version 5.5
>| > somthing or other. So you need to look at the column headers in
>| > your view window. The first header says "Subject", the second says
>| > "From" and the third says "Sent". Click on the word "Sent". You
>| > have just sorted your news group posts by date. Now, if it is top
>| > to bottom instead of bottom to top, click on it again and it
>| > reverses itself. Of course, if you want to search by subject,
>| > click on "Subject", find what you are looking for, then remember
>| > to click on "Sent" again to put everything back in order. Neat,
>| > huh?
>| >
>| > --
>| > "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go
>| > where THEY went." ~Will Rogers~
>|

>| Thank you, so simple if you know how! Your advice to dumb people
>| like me is always so helpful.
>|
>| Now why, whenever I click the index in "Help", does every subject
>| imaginable come up except the very one I am looking for? Don't
>| answer that, rhetorical question!

I'm gonna answer that anyway: the same company that wrote the software (with
all its faults) wrote the help file <grin>!

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

geopelia

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >| "Gideon Stargrave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >| news:20Dcd.6448$(E-Mail Removed)...

> >| > > |
> >| > > |
> >| > > |
> >| > > |
> >| > > |

> >| I'm not sure what client is, do you mean my ISP which is xtra?
> >| I'm in the newsgroup nz.general, but the problem now is in all my
> >| newsgroups in news.xtra.co.nz
> >|
> >| Geopelia

> By "client", he was asking about the program you are using to read your
> newsgroups and email. That, of course, would be Microsoft Outlook Express.
> An older version, to be sure, but it still should be working the same as

the
> new one.
>
> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Thank you, I hadn't heard it called that before. I've got Windows ME, don't
know whether to get XP but I want to learn all I can on this first. Isn't
there a Longhorn version supposed to be coming soon too? Money is limited,
being on a pension.

Geopelia