Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data filesto DVD?

What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4GB data filesto DVD?

David

What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4 GB data files to DVD?

I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a single layer 8X DVD burner. The
software that came with the PC is RecordNow 7.1, which successfully
burns small files at 8X, but when burning a single 4.0 GB file, the
verify option shows an error half way through. Attempting to copy the
file back to the hard drive also produces an error at the same point.
Running "FSUM.exe" also aborts and shows the file size as only 2 GB.

I use Memorex 8x 4.7GB 120 min DVD+R. I've checked HPs web site for
firmware updates to the DVD burner; there are none. The burner shows up
in software as a NEC ND-2100AD. It burns DVD movies with no problem.
The basic problem is burning 4.0 GB files.

I tried using Nero, but keep getting the Power Calibration Error before
any data is written to disk. I tried turning off XPs CD IMAPI
services, as suggested. No joy.

After ruining about 8 disks in a row, I tried CopyToDVD, and lo and
behold, it WORKED! Unfortunately, there is no verify option in
CopyToDVD, so I had to use FSUM.exe to verify the 4 GB file was
identical to the source file.

My issue now is that if I want to verify a burned DVD that has many
files, using FSUM.exe instead of a verify option in the burner software
is not a reasonable alternative.

Is there another burner package I can try that might work well to burn
large (4 GB) files to DVD? I don't mind paying up to $50 for a package,
and am glad I gave Nero a test drive before finding that it wouldn't
work on my system.

It seems as though correctly copying large files requires the inclusion
of a feature for UDF 1.02 support, which CopyToDVD has, and which I
enabled . What other s/w has that feature? I've read lots of negative
stuff about Roxio's s/w so not sure I want to install that one

David

Lonely Planet Boy

You need to return that pc, there is something wrong...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4 GB data files to DVD?
>
> I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a single layer 8X DVD burner. The
> software that came with the PC is RecordNow 7.1, which successfully
> burns small files at 8X, but when burning a single 4.0 GB file, the
> verify option shows an error half way through. Attempting to copy the
> file back to the hard drive also produces an error at the same point.
> Running "FSUM.exe" also aborts and shows the file size as only 2 GB.
>
> I use Memorex 8x 4.7GB 120 min DVD+R. I've checked HPs web site for
> firmware updates to the DVD burner; there are none. The burner shows up
> in software as a NEC ND-2100AD. It burns DVD movies with no problem.
> The basic problem is burning 4.0 GB files.
>
> I tried using Nero, but keep getting the Power Calibration Error before
> any data is written to disk. I tried turning off XPs CD IMAPI
> services, as suggested. No joy.
>
> After ruining about 8 disks in a row, I tried CopyToDVD, and lo and
> behold, it WORKED! Unfortunately, there is no verify option in
> CopyToDVD, so I had to use FSUM.exe to verify the 4 GB file was
> identical to the source file.
>
> My issue now is that if I want to verify a burned DVD that has many
> files, using FSUM.exe instead of a verify option in the burner software
> is not a reasonable alternative.
>
> Is there another burner package I can try that might work well to burn
> large (4 GB) files to DVD? I don't mind paying up to $50 for a package,
> and am glad I gave Nero a test drive before finding that it wouldn't
> work on my system.
>
> It seems as though correctly copying large files requires the inclusion
> of a feature for UDF 1.02 support, which CopyToDVD has, and which I
> enabled . What other s/w has that feature? I've read lots of negative
> stuff about Roxio's s/w so not sure I want to install that one
>
> David

David

no, it's the SOFTWARE that has issues. sigh.

Lonely Planet Boy wrote:

> You need to return that pc, there is something wrong...
>
> "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4 GB data files to DVD?
>>
>>I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a single layer 8X DVD burner. The
>>software that came with the PC is RecordNow 7.1, which successfully
>>burns small files at 8X, but when burning a single 4.0 GB file, the
>>verify option shows an error half way through. Attempting to copy the
>>file back to the hard drive also produces an error at the same point.
>>Running "FSUM.exe" also aborts and shows the file size as only 2 GB.
>>
>>I use Memorex 8x 4.7GB 120 min DVD+R. I've checked HPs web site for
>>firmware updates to the DVD burner; there are none. The burner shows up
>>in software as a NEC ND-2100AD. It burns DVD movies with no problem.
>>The basic problem is burning 4.0 GB files.
>>
>>I tried using Nero, but keep getting the Power Calibration Error before
>>any data is written to disk. I tried turning off XPs CD IMAPI
>>services, as suggested. No joy.
>>
>>After ruining about 8 disks in a row, I tried CopyToDVD, and lo and
>>behold, it WORKED! Unfortunately, there is no verify option in
>>CopyToDVD, so I had to use FSUM.exe to verify the 4 GB file was
>>identical to the source file.
>>
>>My issue now is that if I want to verify a burned DVD that has many
>>files, using FSUM.exe instead of a verify option in the burner software
>>is not a reasonable alternative.
>>
>>Is there another burner package I can try that might work well to burn
>>large (4 GB) files to DVD? I don't mind paying up to $50 for a package,
>>and am glad I gave Nero a test drive before finding that it wouldn't
>>work on my system.
>>
>>It seems as though correctly copying large files requires the inclusion
>>of a feature for UDF 1.02 support, which CopyToDVD has, and which I
>>enabled . What other s/w has that feature? I've read lots of negative
>>stuff about Roxio's s/w so not sure I want to install that one
>>
>>David

Lonely Planet Boy

any software you have tried has issues?
If your pc cant use Nero, you are in trouble...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> no, it's the SOFTWARE that has issues. sigh.
>
> Lonely Planet Boy wrote:
>
> > You need to return that pc, there is something wrong...
> >
> > "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4 GB data files to

DVD?

> >>I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a single layer 8X DVD burner. The
> >>software that came with the PC is RecordNow 7.1, which successfully
> >>burns small files at 8X, but when burning a single 4.0 GB file, the
> >>verify option shows an error half way through. Attempting to copy the
> >>file back to the hard drive also produces an error at the same point.
> >>Running "FSUM.exe" also aborts and shows the file size as only 2 GB.
> >>
> >>I use Memorex 8x 4.7GB 120 min DVD+R. I've checked HPs web site for
> >>firmware updates to the DVD burner; there are none. The burner shows up
> >>in software as a NEC ND-2100AD. It burns DVD movies with no problem.
> >>The basic problem is burning 4.0 GB files.
> >>
> >>I tried using Nero, but keep getting the Power Calibration Error before
> >>any data is written to disk. I tried turning off XPs CD IMAPI
> >>services, as suggested. No joy.
> >>
> >>After ruining about 8 disks in a row, I tried CopyToDVD, and lo and
> >>behold, it WORKED! Unfortunately, there is no verify option in
> >>CopyToDVD, so I had to use FSUM.exe to verify the 4 GB file was
> >>identical to the source file.
> >>
> >>My issue now is that if I want to verify a burned DVD that has many
> >>files, using FSUM.exe instead of a verify option in the burner software
> >>is not a reasonable alternative.
> >>
> >>Is there another burner package I can try that might work well to burn
> >>large (4 GB) files to DVD? I don't mind paying up to $50 for a package,
> >>and am glad I gave Nero a test drive before finding that it wouldn't
> >>work on my system.
> >>
> >>It seems as though correctly copying large files requires the inclusion
> >>of a feature for UDF 1.02 support, which CopyToDVD has, and which I
> >>enabled . What other s/w has that feature? I've read lots of negative
> >>stuff about Roxio's s/w so not sure I want to install that one
> >>
> >>David

Bad Bubba

Or it could be the drive that has issues.

I personally use NERO and I have burned numerous 3 gig and 4 gig files
(SQL data backups) with it. I have a Pioneer 108 drive burning to 4x
RiData single-layer media.

says...
> no, it's the SOFTWARE that has issues. sigh.
>
> Lonely Planet Boy wrote:
>
> > You need to return that pc, there is something wrong...
> >
> > "David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4 GB data files to DVD?
> >>
> >>I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a single layer 8X DVD burner. The
> >>software that came with the PC is RecordNow 7.1, which successfully
> >>burns small files at 8X, but when burning a single 4.0 GB file, the
> >>verify option shows an error half way through. Attempting to copy the
> >>file back to the hard drive also produces an error at the same point.
> >>Running "FSUM.exe" also aborts and shows the file size as only 2 GB.
> >>
> >>I use Memorex 8x 4.7GB 120 min DVD+R. I've checked HP=3Fs web site for
> >>firmware updates to the DVD burner; there are none. The burner shows up
> >>in software as a NEC ND-2100AD. It burns DVD movies with no problem.
> >>The basic problem is burning 4.0 GB files.
> >>
> >>I tried using Nero, but keep getting the Power Calibration Error before
> >>any data is written to disk. I tried turning off XP=3Fs CD IMAPI
> >>services, as suggested. No joy.
> >>
> >>After ruining about 8 disks in a row, I tried CopyToDVD, and lo and
> >>behold, it WORKED! Unfortunately, there is no verify option in
> >>CopyToDVD, so I had to use FSUM.exe to verify the 4 GB file was
> >>identical to the source file.
> >>
> >>My issue now is that if I want to verify a burned DVD that has many
> >>files, using FSUM.exe instead of a verify option in the burner software
> >>is not a reasonable alternative.
> >>
> >>Is there another burner package I can try that might work well to burn
> >>large (4 GB) files to DVD? I don't mind paying up to $50 for a package,
> >>and am glad I gave Nero a test drive before finding that it wouldn't
> >>work on my system.
> >>
> >>It seems as though correctly copying large files requires the inclusion
> >>of a feature for UDF 1.02 support, which CopyToDVD has, and which I
> >>enabled . What other s/w has that feature? I've read lots of negative
> >>stuff about Roxio's s/w so not sure I want to install that one=3F

luminos

"Bad Bubba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Or it could be the drive that has issues.
>
> I personally use NERO and I have burned numerous 3 gig and 4 gig files
> (SQL data backups) with it. I have a Pioneer 108 drive burning to 4x
> RiData single-layer media.

Nero works to 4.3 gigs and I have made a number of dual layer 8+ gigs as
well.

David

check the web for forums with numerous Nero issues. newer versions have
failed on pc's that worked with earlier versions of Nero. There are
PLENTY of comments about Power calibration errors. Keep in mind that 4
other software programs have burned correctly with my drive. I've
burned DVD movie copies, DVD data, CD data. The issue is Nero, and
Record Now. That's a total of TWO programs that I've had issues with.
It is illogical to think the drive is the problem; it can burn FINE
using appropriate software. I'd be perfectly content to use ONLY
CopyToDVD, EXCEPT that there is no verify function. That means I have
to use additional software to check the burned DVD's...doable, but a PITA.

David

Bad Bubba wrote:

> Or it could be the drive that has issues.
>
> I personally use NERO and I have burned numerous 3 gig and 4 gig files
> (SQL data backups) with it. I have a Pioneer 108 drive burning to 4x
> RiData single-layer media.

> says...
>
>>no, it's the SOFTWARE that has issues. sigh.
>>
>>Lonely Planet Boy wrote:
>>

>>>You need to return that pc, there is something wrong...
>>>
>>>"David" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

David

I haven't bothered to try Nero with my DL drive yet...

David

luminos wrote:

> "Bad Bubba" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). com...
>
>>Or it could be the drive that has issues.
>>
>>I personally use NERO and I have burned numerous 3 gig and 4 gig files
>>(SQL data backups) with it. I have a Pioneer 108 drive burning to 4x
>>RiData single-layer media.

> Nero works to 4.3 gigs and I have made a number of dual layer 8+ gigs as
> well.

luminos

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> check the web for forums with numerous Nero issues. newer versions have
> failed on pc's that worked with earlier versions of Nero. There are
> PLENTY of comments about Power calibration errors. Keep in mind that 4
> other software programs have burned correctly with my drive. I've burned
> DVD movie copies, DVD data, CD data. The issue is Nero, and Record Now.
> That's a total of TWO programs that I've had issues with. It is illogical
> to think the drive is the problem;

Nonsense. Illogical. Dumb.

smh

Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm...mindspring.com

( No Pipsqueaks have been able to prove ANY of the above is a LIBEL )
( -- despite Mikey claimed to have proof of misquotes !! )

David wrote:

> What CD/DVD software is likely to work for burning 4 GB data files to DVD?
>
> I have a new HP Pavilion PC with a single layer 8X DVD burner. The
> software that came with the PC is RecordNow 7.1, which successfully
> burns small files at 8X, but when burning a single 4.0 GB file, the
> verify option shows an error half way through. Attempting to copy the
> file back to the hard drive also produces an error at the same point.
> Running "FSUM.exe" also aborts and shows the file size as only 2 GB.
>
> I use Memorex 8x 4.7GB 120 min DVD+R. I've checked HPs web site for
> firmware updates to the DVD burner; there are none. The burner shows up
> in software as a NEC ND-2100AD. It burns DVD movies with no problem.
> The basic problem is burning 4.0 GB files.
>
> I tried using Nero, but keep getting the Power Calibration Error before
> any data is written to disk. I tried turning off XPs CD IMAPI
> services, as suggested. No joy.
>
> After ruining about 8 disks in a row, I tried CopyToDVD, and lo and
> behold, it WORKED! Unfortunately, there is no verify option in
> CopyToDVD, so I had to use FSUM.exe to verify the 4 GB file was
> identical to the source file.
>
> My issue now is that if I want to verify a burned DVD that has many
> files, using FSUM.exe instead of a verify option in the burner software
> is not a reasonable alternative.
>
> Is there another burner package I can try that might work well to burn
> large (4 GB) files to DVD? I don't mind paying up to $50 for a package,
> and am glad I gave Nero a test drive before finding that it wouldn't
> work on my system.
>
> It seems as though correctly copying large files requires the inclusion
> of a feature for UDF 1.02 support, which CopyToDVD has, and which I
> enabled . What other s/w has that feature? I've read lots of negative
> stuff about Roxio's s/w so not sure I want to install that one

How to... write a 2GB or larger FILE to DVD
http://www.nero.com/us/ns4_631939469946227.html

"Important Note: The ISO standard does not allow any *FILES* over
2gig in size to be written. So to write a FILE over 2gig in size
to DVD, you must use the DVD-ROM (UDF) format."