Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Saving html manuals to disk

Saving html manuals to disk

Dalziel

Hello

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that is
published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and saving
it page by page!)

For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
http://www.partition-saving.com/.
I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
example.

Thanks,

Dalziel

patrick

Dalziel wrote:
> Hello
>
> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that is
> published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and saving
> it page by page!)
>
> For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
> http://www.partition-saving.com/.
> I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
> example.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dalziel

No copyright violation if (fair use doctrine):
a. you don't share the original works for profit, with others!
(personal use)
b. you share portions for profit, with commentary or critique!
c. you publish a parody
d. you copy, as a student, to further your studies.
e. the documents have entered the Public Domain (example: Disney
brought many German fairy tales to America, then copyrighted Snow White,
Rapunzel, Sleeping Beauty, and dozens of others. If you also go to the
original sources, and then publish, you could be challenged in America,
by Disney Corp.!)

More, from http://www.bitlaw.com/copyright/fair_use.html
" * small excerpts in a review or criticism for purposes of
illustration or comment;
* a parody which incorporates some elements (but not all) of the
work being parodied;
* quotations from a speech, address, or position paper in a news
report; and
* limited copying made by a student for academic work.

In the context of computer technologies, the fair use doctrine is
often used in the
context of reverse engineering. Under trade secret principles, it is
generally accepted
to "reverse engineer" a product to determine how the product works.
Reverse engineering
may involve analyzing circuit board layouts, "peeling" back a integrated
circuit chip,
or decompiling computer software. However, it is impossible to decompile
software and
then analyze the results without making a copy (or a derivative work) of
the software.

Courts have sometimes held that the making of these copies in the
context of reverse
engineering is a fair use and is not copyright infringement."

I am NOT an attorney. I am a GEEK, a NERD, and a GNU/Linux advocate.
Visit http://sourceforge.net for YOUR free 88,216 games, and
applications! GNU/Linux is FREE, at http://linuxiso.org
http://distrowatch.com and http://frozentech.com

Ingeborg

"Dalziel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:ckts9k$5qm$1$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hello
>
> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual
> that is published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each
> link and saving it page by page!)
>
> For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
> http://www.partition-saving.com/.
> I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
> example.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dalziel

You could use httrack <http://www.httrack.com> to download the pages.

why?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 14:16:44 +0100, Dalziel wrote:

>Hello
>
>Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that is
>published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and saving

Yes.

>it page by page!)
>
>For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
>http://www.partition-saving.com/.
>I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
>example.

WebZIP is one product for Windows, there are many similar.
www.spidersoft.com/

Freeware/Shareware sites to search
www.simtel.net
www.tucows.com

Me

Dalziel

"Dalziel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckts9k$5qm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that is
> published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and

saving
> it page by page!)
>
> For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
> http://www.partition-saving.com/.
> I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
> example.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dalziel

Dalziel

Hi Guys,

Thanks very much for the info, including the bit about copyright.
I shall give httrack a go.
I appreciate your help and thanks again

Regards

Dalziel

"Dalziel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckts9k$5qm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello
>
> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that is
> published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and

saving
> it page by page!)
>
> For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
> http://www.partition-saving.com/.
> I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
> example.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dalziel

Andy

"Dalziel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cku2dp$ghm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Guys,
>
> Thanks very much for the info, including the bit about copyright.
> I shall give httrack a go.
> I appreciate your help and thanks again
>
> Regards
>
> Dalziel
>

> "Dalziel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:ckts9k$5qm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello
>>
>> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that
>> is
>> published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and

> saving
>> it page by page!)
>>
>> For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
>> http://www.partition-saving.com/.
>> I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
>> example.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Dalziel

I use Teleport Pro to download websites ( for my own off line use of
course). I tried httrack, but I did not like it.

Dalziel

Thanks Andy,

I'm trying a trial copy at the moment. It looks good but I only seem to be
Guess I had better read the flipping manual first!!
It certainly looks easier than httrack.
Thanks for the tip.

Regards

Dalziel

"Andy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dalziel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cku2dp$ghm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > Thanks very much for the info, including the bit about copyright.
> > I shall give httrack a go.
> > I appreciate your help and thanks again
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Dalziel
> >

> > "Dalziel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:ckts9k$5qm$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Can anyone tell me if it is possible to download and save a manual that
> >> is
> >> published on the web in html format? (Short of going to each link and

> > saving
> >> it page by page!)
> >>
> >> For instance, the partition-saving manual at :
> >> http://www.partition-saving.com/.
> >> I know I would need to check copyright, etc but only give this as an
> >> example.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Dalziel
> >>

> I use Teleport Pro to download websites ( for my own off line use of
> course). I tried httrack, but I did not like it.

Oleg Chernavin

> I'm trying a trial copy at the moment. It looks good but I only seem to be
> Guess I had better read the flipping manual first!!
> It certainly looks easier than httrack.
> Thanks for the tip.

I would suggest you to try Offline Explorer Pro
(www.metaproducts.com). It loads the site. To make the download
easier, use another starting URL for the site:

http://damien.guibouret.free.fr/