Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how fast is my internet connection?

how fast is my internet connection?

the_niner_nation

Is there anyway of checking on windows xp to see how fast your internet
connection is?
My ISP has informed me that they are going to be uping my speed in the next
' 3 to 5 days'..i wanna know if they have...

thanks in advance!

Unk

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:02:10 +0100, "the_niner_nation"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Is there anyway of checking on windows xp to see how fast your internet
>connection is?
>My ISP has informed me that they are going to be uping my speed in the next
>' 3 to 5 days'..i wanna know if they have...
>
>thanks in advance!

http://speedcheck2.optonline.net/spe...peedcheck.html
http://www.dslreports.com/stest
http://www.2wire.com/?p=154

Yddap

In news:ckruo6$so1$(E-Mail Removed),
the_niner_nation <(E-Mail Removed)> opined:
> Is there anyway of checking on windows xp to see how fast your
> internet connection is?
> My ISP has informed me that they are going to be uping my speed in
> the next ' 3 to 5 days'..i wanna know if they have...
>
> thanks in advance!

http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/
Set it up for your connection and go
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Dodo

When downloading a file, Windows displays the download speed in kilobytes
per second. This value can be converted into other units as follows:

b=bits
B=bytes
k=1000
M=1000000

b=B*8
M=k/1000

367kBps=2936kbps=2.936Mbps

PuppyKatt

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 21:02:10 +0100, "the_niner_nation"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is there anyway of checking on windows xp to see how fast your internet
>>connection is?
>>My ISP has informed me that they are going to be uping my speed in the
>>next
>>' 3 to 5 days'..i wanna know if they have...
>>
>>thanks in advance!
>>

> http://speedcheck2.optonline.net/spe...peedcheck.html

1524Kbps

> http://www.dslreports.com/stest
> http://www.2wire.com/?p=154

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Yddap wrote:

> http://www.broadbandspeedtest.net/
> Set it up for your connection and go

Damn, I thought it was going to be a pretty good test. 1st time all the
ping times were quite good, but the download speed test had a server
error and the upload speed test isn't activated until the software is
registered, so no speed readouts. 2nd time I tested at 171Kb download,
not nearly what I get from other test sites.

I kinda like the one here:
http://www.giganews.com/comps/test_connect.mhtml

Flying Rat

In article <ckruo6$so1$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> Is there anyway of checking on windows xp to see how fast your internet
> connection is?
> My ISP has informed me that they are going to be uping my speed in the next
> ' 3 to 5 days'..i wanna know if they have...
>
> thanks in advance!

www.dslzoneuk.net has a pretty accurate speed tester if you are in the
UK (which you appear to be). Doesn't require any signing up or owt.

FR

me here at www.flyingrat.net
for all things ADSL in the UK www.dslzoneuk.net

127.0.0.1

"the_niner_nation" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ckruo6$so1$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there anyway of checking on windows xp to see how fast your internet
> connection is?
> My ISP has informed me that they are going to be uping my speed in the
> next
> ' 3 to 5 days'..i wanna know if they have...
>
> thanks in advance!

all the web based speed test are not accurate
you can use DUmeter to monitor your actual bandwidth http://www.dumeter.com/
i use etherpeek and solar winds for doing individual protocal speed tests.

-a|ex

127.0.0.1

"Dodo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b5b1b$4171875b$43663cd2$(E-Mail Removed) ervers.com...
> When downloading a file, Windows displays the download speed in kilobytes
> per second. This value can be converted into other units as follows:
>
> b=bits
> B=bytes
> k=1000
> M=1000000
>
> b=B*8
> M=k/1000
>
> 367kBps=2936kbps=2.936Mbps

there are also overhead packets for error checking that makes the datastream
inconsistant.
the download stream will fluctuate from 10bits to 10Bytes giving a not so
precise of an average value.

-a|ex

nolie nolie is offline
Junior Member

Yes you can check the speed,You can check the speed only using the Online speed test sites.,You can check at here Scanmyspeed.com
I am using 2mbps Broadband Connection... My Uploading speed is 0.181 Mbps and Downloading speed is 3.587Mbps,