Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Locked Task Bar in W98

Locked Task Bar in W98

ZaMir

Hi all

Can anyone help me to unlock task bar in W98?
It is my office PC and probably that happened after installation of SP1
during local area networking.
I tried
Ctrl-Esc
+Esc
+Alt-Spacebar
+Size
but after that cursor had not changed in four-headed form required in
order to pull task bar up.
Also, I tried with Windows key i.e. Start-Settings-Task Bar but had not
be able to click on Task Bar and activate it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Toolman Tim

>| Hi all
>|
>| Can anyone help me to unlock task bar in W98?
>| It is my office PC and probably that happened after installation of
>| SP1 during local area networking.
>| I tried
>| Ctrl-Esc
>| +Esc
>| +Alt-Spacebar
>| +Size
>| but after that cursor had not changed in four-headed form required in
>| order to pull task bar up.
>| Also, I tried with Windows key i.e. Start-Settings-Task Bar but had
>| not be able to click on Task Bar and activate it.
>| Any advice would be appreciated.
>|
>| TIA

HUH? You can't LOCK the taskbar in Windows 98, only XP. Do you mean that you
dragged the taskbar size down to where it is no longer visible on the bottom
of the screen? If so, hover your cursor over the bottom edge of the screen
until you get a double arrow (up and down) then drag up.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

ZaMir

.."Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| Hi all
>|
>| Can anyone help me to unlock task bar in W98?
>| It is my office PC and probably that happened after installation of
>| SP1 during local area networking.
>| I tried
>| Ctrl-Esc
>| +Esc
>| +Alt-Spacebar
>| +Size
>| but after that cursor had not changed in four-headed form required in
>| order to pull task bar up.
>| Also, I tried with Windows key i.e. Start-Settings-Task Bar but had
>| not be able to click on Task Bar and activate it.
>| Any advice would be appreciated.
>|
>| TIA

HUH? You can't LOCK the taskbar in Windows 98, only XP. Do you mean that
you
dragged the taskbar size down to where it is no longer visible on the
bottom
of the screen? If so, hover your cursor over the bottom edge of the
screen
until you get a double arrow (up and down) then drag up.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Tim

first of all thank you for your prompt answer. I have not been quite
clear.
After installation of sp1 and upon bootup task bar is locked i.e. hidden
so that I can not pull up and use quick launch buttons.. Naturally, I
tried to get a double arrow cursor but with no success.

Thanks for assistance

Toolman Tim

>| >|
>| >|

>| HUH? You can't LOCK the taskbar in Windows 98, only XP. Do you mean
>| that you
>| dragged the taskbar size down to where it is no longer visible on the
>| bottom
>| of the screen? If so, hover your cursor over the bottom edge of the
>| screen
>| until you get a double arrow (up and down) then drag up.
>|

>| Tim
>|
>| first of all thank you for your prompt answer. I have not been quite
>| clear.
>| After installation of sp1 and upon bootup task bar is locked i.e.
>| hidden so that I can not pull up and use quick launch buttons..
>| Naturally, I tried to get a double arrow cursor but with no success.
>|
>| Thanks for assistance

Check this suggestion from Microsoft - BE CAREFUL if you edit your registry
(make a backup first!):

Everything else I've read says the same thing I already did...
http://www.felgall.com/doswin21.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/...r/hidntbar.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/...k/misstbar.htm

Plus there's this old article about a virus that may be an issue:
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec112402.html

ZaMir

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| >|
>| >|

>| HUH? You can't LOCK the taskbar in Windows 98, only XP. Do you mean
>| that you
>| dragged the taskbar size down to where it is no longer visible on the
>| bottom
>| of the screen? If so, hover your cursor over the bottom edge of the
>| screen
>| until you get a double arrow (up and down) then drag up.
>|

>| Tim
>|
>| first of all thank you for your prompt answer. I have not been quite
>| clear.
>| After installation of sp1 and upon bootup task bar is locked i.e.
>| hidden so that I can not pull up and use quick launch buttons..
>| Naturally, I tried to get a double arrow cursor but with no success.
>|
>| Thanks for assistance

Check this suggestion from Microsoft - BE CAREFUL if you edit your
registry
(make a backup first!):

Everything else I've read says the same thing I already did...
http://www.felgall.com/doswin21.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/...r/hidntbar.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/...k/misstbar.htm

Plus there's this old article about a virus that may be an issue:
http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec112402.html

Well done Tim

It was detailed and on the topic answer. In my case probably it is a
Registry corruption. Tomorrow in the office I am going first to bootup
in a safe mode (found that recommendation in Goggle) and after that if
it is necessary to delete suggested registry key.
It is great benefit of this newsgroup that there are people like you,
Mike and several others.

Once more thank you very much.

Toolman Tim

>| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| >| >|
>| >| >|
>| >|
>| >|
>| >|
>| >|
>| >|

>| Check this suggestion from Microsoft - BE CAREFUL if you edit your
>| registry
>| (make a backup first!):
>| http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;247502
>|
>| Everything else I've read says the same thing I already did...
>| http://www.felgall.com/doswin21.htm
>| http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/...r/hidntbar.htm
>| http://home.earthlink.net/~leetutor/...k/misstbar.htm
>|
>| Plus there's this old article about a virus that may be an issue:
>| http://aroundcny.com/technofile/texts/tec112402.html
>|

>| Well done Tim
>|
>| It was detailed and on the topic answer. In my case probably it is a
>| Registry corruption. Tomorrow in the office I am going first to
>| bootup in a safe mode (found that recommendation in Goggle) and
>| after that if it is necessary to delete suggested registry key.
>| It is great benefit of this newsgroup that there are people like you,
>| Mike and several others.
>|
>| Once more thank you very much.

You're welcome - good luck. I hope something there is able to fix your
problem.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Task bar locked Jason Windows 64bit 0 11-07-2010 02:57 AM
XP/W98 How do I access safe mode in w98 hugh pearce Computer Support 7 09-02-2004 12:05 PM
2 w98 pcs walk into a bar Plato Computer Information 3 06-08-2004 03:54 AM

Advertisments