Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Power pack blown?

Power pack blown?

joevan

Never happened to me before but I am hoping that is all that burned
out. I heard a loud snap then everything stopped. I could smell the
electric arc. It is an Antec 350 W. Model SL350 that came with the
tower I got from new egg not so long ago.
Does that sound like the only problem or should I remove other
components before I replace the power pack?
joevan

joevan

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:42:50 GMT, joevan <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Never happened to me before but I am hoping that is all that burned
>out. I heard a loud snap then everything stopped. I could smell the
>electric arc. It is an Antec 350 W. Model SL350 that came with the
>tower I got from new egg not so long ago.
>Does that sound like the only problem or should I remove other
>components before I replace the power pack?
>joevan

I will have to wait till monday to call new egg as they are not
available on weekends. In the meantime I guess I can remove the old
power supply and make a few tests. I assume that the MB and other
components are protected from such happenings?
joevan

Blinky the Shark

joevan wrote:

> power supply and make a few tests. I assume that the MB and other
> components are protected from such happenings?

I don't know...are you?

If so, it's probably not a good assumption.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue

joevan

On 16 Oct 2004 20:29:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>joevan wrote:
>
>> power supply and make a few tests. I assume that the MB and other
>> components are protected from such happenings?

>I don't know...are you?
>
>If so, it's probably not a good assumption.

I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be damaged?
Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and what would
cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this year and now
this happens so soon. Faulty unit for sure.
joevan

Toolman Tim

>| On 16 Oct 2004 20:29:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
>| wrote:

>| >I don't know...are you?
>| >If so, it's probably not a good assumption.
>| >
>| I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be
>| damaged? Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and
>| what would cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this
>| year and now this happens so soon. Faulty unit for sure.
>| joevan

I had two identical systems at work blow a PS unit...both of them took out
the motherboard. The CPU, memory, add-in cards, etc. were all okay. But the
replacment mobo used different memory, so now I have spares <g>

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Blinky the Shark

joevan wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2004 20:29:51 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

>>joevan wrote:

>>> power supply and make a few tests. I assume that the MB and other
>>> components are protected from such happenings?

>>I don't know...are you?

>>If so, it's probably not a good assumption.

> I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be damaged?

I would think, "hardware that connects to the power supply".

> Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and what would
> cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this year and now

A while back, I replaced a PS and mobo. Why both? Because
old-mobo-new-PS didn't work and new-mobo-old-PS didn't work. There
are only four permutations of old/new mobo/PS -- those two, plus old/old,
which obviously wasn't working, and new/new. I think the chances of the
old PS blowing out the old mobo are more likely than the old mobo
blowing out the old PS.

> this happens so soon. Faulty unit for sure.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue

Toolman Tim

>| joevan wrote:

>| > I hope nothing else is damaged. What are things that might be
>| > damaged?
>|
>| I would think, "hardware that connects to the power supply".
>|
>| > Has this happened to you, (power supply shorting out) and what
>| > would cause that to happen? I got the thing in July of this year
>| > and now
>|
>| A while back, I replaced a PS and mobo. Why both? Because
>| old-mobo-new-PS didn't work and new-mobo-old-PS didn't work. There
>| are only four permutations of old/new mobo/PS -- those two, plus
>| old/old, which obviously wasn't working, and new/new. I think the
>| chances of the old PS blowing out the old mobo are more likely than
>| the old mobo blowing out the old PS.

Agreed...seeing as how that's the *source* of the voltages. But then, I've
lost a number of other PSs without mobo or drive (etc.) dying. Just lucky, I
guess

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Blinky the Shark

Toolman Tim wrote:

>>| I would think, "hardware that connects to the power supply".

>>| A while back, I replaced a PS and mobo. Why both? Because
>>| old-mobo-new-PS didn't work and new-mobo-old-PS didn't work. There
>>| are only four permutations of old/new mobo/PS -- those two, plus
>>| old/old, which obviously wasn't working, and new/new. I think the
>>| chances of the old PS blowing out the old mobo are more likely than
>>| the old mobo blowing out the old PS.

> Agreed...seeing as how that's the *source* of the voltages. But then, I've
> lost a number of other PSs without mobo or drive (etc.) dying. Just lucky, I
> guess

With respect to OP's statement "I assume that the MB and the other
components are protected from such happenings": I can't say I've ever
seen a PC with replaceable fuses to protect against this.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Blue

Toolman Tim

>| >>|
>| >>|
>| >>|
>| >>|
>| >>|
>| >>|
>| >>|
>| >>|
>| >>|

>| > Agreed...seeing as how that's the *source* of the voltages. But
>| > then, I've lost a number of other PSs without mobo or drive (etc.)
>| > dying. Just lucky, I guess
>|
>| With respect to OP's statement "I assume that the MB and the other
>| components are protected from such happenings": I can't say I've ever
>| seen a PC with replaceable fuses to protect against this.

Me either. The last fuses I saw were on the keyboard input connection...I
think it was designed for anti-static. But hey, that was back on 386 and 486
motherboards - haven't seen it since!

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Pennywise

On 17 Oct 2004 02:49:20 GMT, Blinky the Shark <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

|>With respect to OP's statement "I assume that the MB and the other
|>components are protected from such happenings": I can't say I've ever
|>seen a PC with replaceable fuses to protect against this.

Not sure if it's to protect the power supply or MB, but there is a 5A
fuse in the power supply. The old AT's were pretty much replaceable
(plug in, pull out), newer one's have to be unsolder'd to test or
replace.