Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > System hangs and clock speed resets!!!

System hangs and clock speed resets!!!

Bud Light

I'm running WindowsXP professional and it seems that when I now turn on the
computer it hangs or takes a long time to load up. After it loads up the
system freezes which causes me to do a shut down. After restarting the
machine, the machine hangs and will not boot up. I have to close and start
a few times until the bios screen appears. My clock speed is reset to a
lower speed and then I have to change the clock speed to it's normal setting
before everything is OK. Did I get hit with a virus or trojan or something?

Toolman Tim

>| I'm running WindowsXP professional and it seems that when I now turn
>| on the computer it hangs or takes a long time to load up. After it
>| loads up the system freezes which causes me to do a shut down.
>| After restarting the machine, the machine hangs and will not boot
>| up. I have to close and start a few times until the bios screen
>| appears. My clock speed is reset to a lower speed and then I have
>| to change the clock speed to it's normal setting before everything
>| is OK. Did I get hit with a virus or trojan or something?

Have you checked the CMOS battery?

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Bud Light

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >| I'm running WindowsXP professional and it seems that when I now turn
> >| on the computer it hangs or takes a long time to load up. After it
> >| loads up the system freezes which causes me to do a shut down.
> >| After restarting the machine, the machine hangs and will not boot
> >| up. I have to close and start a few times until the bios screen
> >| appears. My clock speed is reset to a lower speed and then I have
> >| to change the clock speed to it's normal setting before everything
> >| is OK. Did I get hit with a virus or trojan or something?

> Have you checked the CMOS battery?

I checked and it seems fine. Never got a warning about the CMOS battery.
Time and date on system clock always up to date. Thanks for the suggestion.
However, my computer now boots up today after I vacummed the dust from the
fan, cpu fan, and video card fan. Not sure if that was the solution but
I'll cross my fingers after the next reboot.