Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Fax keeps dialing

Fax keeps dialing

flycaster1

Windows XP. When fax fails to make a connection and I select
disconnect, about a minute or two later, the fax starts dialing again.
In fact, even after a second disconnect it will dial a third time...then
it stops this automatic dialing. I would imagine that there is a repeat
dialing selection that I'd like to disable, but I can't find it. Thanks
for your help.
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Toolman Tim

>| Windows XP. When fax fails to make a connection and I select
>| disconnect, about a minute or two later, the fax starts dialing
>| again. In fact, even after a second disconnect it will dial a third
>| time...then it stops this automatic dialing. I would imagine that
>| there is a repeat dialing selection that I'd like to disable, but I
>| can't find it. Thanks for your help.
>| Adam

Go to your printers folder (Control Panel, Printers) and right click on the
fax icon. Select Properties. Under the "Devices" tab, find the Properties
button - click that...there's where your send settings are.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

flycaster1

Toolman Tim wrote:

> > | Windows XP. When fax fails to make a connection and I select |
> > disconnect, about a minute or two later, the fax starts dialing |
> > again. In fact, even after a second disconnect it will dial a third
> > | time...then it stops this automatic dialing. I would imagine
> > that | there is a repeat dialing selection that I'd like to
> > disable, but I | can't find it. Thanks for your help. | Adam |

> Go to your printers folder (Control Panel, Printers) and right click
> on the fax icon. Select Properties. Under the "Devices" tab, find the
> Properties button - click that...there's where your send settings
> are.

Thanks, Tim. You were right on. I had 3 retries where I should have
had none.
And while we are at it, perhaps you can help me with this problem. I
would like to see
if my fax machine is working by sending a fax from the computer to the
external fax machine.
So far, I have been unsuccessful. I'm not sure whether it is the
machine or my fax computer settings.
Is there anyway I can check this out without getting anyone else
involved? Thanks,
Adam

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Toolman Tim

>| Toolman Tim wrote:
>|
>| > > | Windows XP. When fax fails to make a connection and I select |
>| > > disconnect, about a minute or two later, the fax starts dialing |
>| > > disable, but I | can't find it. Thanks for your help. | Adam |
>| >

>| > Go to your printers folder (Control Panel, Printers) and right
>| > click on the fax icon. Select Properties. Under the "Devices"
>| > tab, find the Properties button - click that...there's where your
>| > send settings are.
>| >
>| Thanks, Tim. You were right on. I had 3 retries where I should have
>| had none.
>| And while we are at it, perhaps you can help me with this problem. I
>| would like to see
>| if my fax machine is working by sending a fax from the computer to
>| the external fax machine.
>| So far, I have been unsuccessful. I'm not sure whether it is the
>| machine or my fax computer settings.
>| Is there anyway I can check this out without getting anyone else
>| involved? Thanks,
>| Adam

If they are on the same phone line, it won't work. If you have a second
line, put one of the machines on that and then fax to it.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

flycaster1

Toolman Tim wrote:

>>| Toolman Tim wrote:
>>|
>>| > > | Windows XP. When fax fails to make a connection and I select |
>>| > > disconnect, about a minute or two later, the fax starts dialing |
>>| > > disable, but I | can't find it. Thanks for your help. | Adam |

>>| Thanks, Tim. You were right on. I had 3 retries where I should have
>>| had none.
>>| And while we are at it, perhaps you can help me with this problem. I
>>| would like to see
>>| if my fax machine is working by sending a fax from the computer to
>>| the external fax machine.
>>| So far, I have been unsuccessful. I'm not sure whether it is the
>>| machine or my fax computer settings.
>>| Is there anyway I can check this out without getting anyone else
>>| involved? Thanks,
>>| Adam
>>

>If they are on the same phone line, it won't work. If you have a second
>line, put one of the machines on that and then fax to it.

My computer is cable hook up. The fax is on my only phone line.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Toolman Tim

>| >>|
>| >>| > > | select |
>| >>| > > |

>| >If they are on the same phone line, it won't work. If you have a
>| >second line, put one of the machines on that and then fax to it.
>| >

>| My computer is cable hook up. The fax is on my only phone line.

Yeah - me too. You'll have to fax to someone else who can let you know how
it works then. I tested mine by faxing to the office before I left for work.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

flycaster1

Toolman Tim wrote:

>>| >>|
>>| >>| > > | select |
>>| >>| > > |

>>| My computer is cable hook up. The fax is on my only phone line.
>>|

>Yeah - me too. You'll have to fax to someone else who can let you know how
>it works then. I tested mine by faxing to the office before I left for work.

Think I figured this one out. I'll just call my home number on my cell
phone.
Although I won't be able to get a print out, I will hear the fax sound
and that will
tell me that the fax is working, eh?

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Toolman Tim

>| >>|
>| >>| >>|
>| >>| >>| > > | select |
>| >>| >>| > > |

>| >>|

>| >Yeah - me too. You'll have to fax to someone else who can let you
>| >know how it works then. I tested mine by faxing to the office
>| >before I left for work.
>| >

>| Think I figured this one out. I'll just call my home number on my
>| cell phone.
>| Although I won't be able to get a print out, I will hear the fax
>| sound and that will
>| tell me that the fax is working, eh?

Should work. Your other option is to run to the local Kinko's or Office
Depot or similar outfit and fax something to yourself.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

flycaster1

Toolman Tim wrote:

>>| >>|
>>| >>| >>|
>>| >>| >>| > > | select |
>>| >>| >>| > > |

>>| >>|

>>| Think I figured this one out. I'll just call my home number on my
>>| cell phone.
>>| Although I won't be able to get a print out, I will hear the fax
>>| sound and that will
>>| tell me that the fax is working, eh?
>>|

>Should work. Your other option is to run to the local Kinko's or Office
>Depot or similar outfit and fax something to yourself.

Actually, I'm wrong, it won't work. The fax machine won't pick it up
because the signal is a phone signal rather than a fax signal. Back to
plan one, have a friend fax.

--
To email, erase "forgetit"

Toolman Tim

>| >>|
>| >>| >>|
>| >>| >>| >>|
>| >>| >>| >>| > > | and I select |
>| >>| >>| >>| > > |

>| >>| >>|

>| >>|

>| >Should work. Your other option is to run to the local Kinko's or
>| >Office Depot or similar outfit and fax something to yourself.
>| >

>| Actually, I'm wrong, it won't work. The fax machine won't pick it up
>| because the signal is a phone signal rather than a fax signal. Back
>| to plan one, have a friend fax.

So you have one of those devices that tell your phone line where to direct
the incoming calls? I've never bothered...no one ever calls me

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~