Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Firefox nannies by stopping weird port access

Firefox nannies by stopping weird port access

Joel Rubin

MSIE and Cygwin Lynx were able to open the phishing site

http://64.170.67.162:87/st/confirm.htm

but Firefox told me that port 87 had been disabled for security
reasons.

(Is there an option to shut this off? It may be a good option for
newbies but I want to choose how much protection I have.)

By the way, I notice that whereas the phish spam said I was getting
email from Sun Trust, in Atlanta, the window said it was copyrighted
by MNBA in Buffalo.

If you're going to steal by fraud you probably ought to dot the i's
and cross the t's. I notice a lot of phish spam screws something up.
For example, one had day/month/year "from" an American bank whereas
Americans almost all do month/day/year.

why?

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 13:43:12 GMT, Joel Rubin wrote:

>MSIE and Cygwin Lynx were able to open the phishing site
>
>http://64.170.67.162:87/st/confirm.htm
>
>but Firefox told me that port 87 had been disabled for security
>reasons.
>
>(Is there an option to shut this off? It may be a good option for
>newbies but I want to choose how much protection I have.)

Yes.

There is a cert.org article for cross-protocol scripting, worth a read.

See the mozilla notes for editing the .js settings file to allow ports.

www.google.com will find both for you.

<snip>

Me