Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > XP Home system

XP Home system

Betsy

I am wondering where inside a computer will I find a list of running
programs. When I run AdAware it says I have 35 running programs. Now I bet I
don't need all of them and would like to look and dump some.
Thanks to anyone who can steer me.

BetsyB

Eos

"Betsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am wondering where inside a computer will I find a list of running
>programs. When I run AdAware it says I have 35 running programs. Now I bet
>I don't need all of them and would like to look and dump some.
> Thanks to anyone who can steer me.
>
> BetsyB

Adaware finds lots of things....'some are spyware, some are not. You have to
decide which ones you want to remove, but be careful as Win XP is a BIG
Operating System and YES it DOES need to have many programs running in the
background that it needs in order to function properly. The only safe way to
get rid of programs you don't need/want is to UnInstall them using the
Add/Remove Programs utility in the Control Panel.
HTH.
Eos.

pcbutts1

Right click on the taskbar and choose task manager then click on the
processes tab.

"Betsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am wondering where inside a computer will I find a list of running
>programs. When I run AdAware it says I have 35 running programs. Now I bet
>I don't need all of them and would like to look and dump some.
> Thanks to anyone who can steer me.
>
> BetsyB

Betsy

Thankyou both so much. I think I'd best wait for my nerd to visit.

BetsyB

news:RRlbd.2527$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Right click on the taskbar and choose task manager then click on the
> processes tab.

> "Betsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am wondering where inside a computer will I find a list of running
>>programs. When I run AdAware it says I have 35 running programs. Now I bet
>>I don't need all of them and would like to look and dump some.
>> Thanks to anyone who can steer me.
>>
>> BetsyB

Ron Martell

"Betsy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am wondering where inside a computer will I find a list of running
>programs. When I run AdAware it says I have 35 running programs. Now I bet I
>don't need all of them and would like to look and dump some.
>Thanks to anyone who can steer me.
>
>BetsyB

Use Start - Run - MSCONFIG and first go to the Startup tab.
Compare the list of items loading there with the information at
http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.php to see what, if
anything, can be safely dispensed with.

Then go to the Process tab and compare that list with the information
at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm to see what can be
reconfigured and how to do it.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Betsy

Thankyou once again. Only found one I was positive I could ditch. But it was
a start.
news:(E-Mail Removed)...