Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot access ANYTHING related to Microsoft

Cannot access ANYTHING related to Microsoft

PuppyKatt

Suddenly, without warning, I cannot click on most links in mail and
news. Also, even when using my adress bar an manually typing in
addresses, I cannot go to ANY Microsoft web page. I always get the
"Page cannot be displayed" error page. I have not changed any of my
seurity settings. I attempted to update my antivirus protection, and
that does not work, either; it just hangs while looking for updates. I
was thinking of trying to uninstall IE and OE, then re-installing them,
but that would be useless if I can't get to any of Microsoft's sites to
download it.

I did a complete virus scan, ran AdAware, Spybot S & D, and made sure
that all were updated, and updated Spyware Blaster. What is causing
links to go dead, and denial of access to Antivirus and Microsoft
updates?

°Mike°

You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or
nothing occurs after you click a link
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

BUG: Microsoft Internet Explorer Displays a Blank Page
While It Uses an HTTP 1.0 Request in a WinInet Application
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816405

HTML Pages Only Partially Appear, HTML Pages Do Not Appear,
or the Network Stops Responding
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823386

Internet Explorer Displays a Blank Page and May Appear to
Stop Responding on Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832624

Nothing happens when you click a link
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

OLEXP Internet Shortcuts in Outlook Express Do Not
Start Web Browser

OLEXP Nothing Happens When You Click a Link in
Outlook Express

Current Web Page Is Blank After Opening an Outlook-- URI
from Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257136

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:48:49 -0500, in
<dhibd.115$(E-Mail Removed)>
PuppyKatt scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

G. Morgan

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:48:49 -0500 "PuppyKatt"
used 16 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>Suddenly, without warning, I cannot click on most links in mail and
>news. Also, even when using my adress bar an manually typing in
>addresses, I cannot go to ANY Microsoft web page. I always get the
>"Page cannot be displayed" error page. I have not changed any of my
>seurity settings. I attempted to update my antivirus protection, and
>that does not work, either; it just hangs while looking for updates. I
>was thinking of trying to uninstall IE and OE, then re-installing them,
>but that would be useless if I can't get to any of Microsoft's sites to
>download it.
>
>I did a complete virus scan, ran AdAware, Spybot S & D, and made sure
>that all were updated, and updated Spyware Blaster. What is causing
>links to go dead, and denial of access to Antivirus and Microsoft
>updates?

Check your 'HOSTS' file. A virus might have changed entries for the
AV sites & Micro$ofts to 127.0.0.1 (loopback IP).

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

doS

Lucky you.

"PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dhibd.115$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Suddenly, without warning, I cannot click on most links in mail and
> news. Also, even when using my adress bar an manually typing in
> addresses, I cannot go to ANY Microsoft web page. I always get the
> "Page cannot be displayed" error page. I have not changed any of my
> seurity settings. I attempted to update my antivirus protection, and
> that does not work, either; it just hangs while looking for updates. I
> was thinking of trying to uninstall IE and OE, then re-installing them,
> but that would be useless if I can't get to any of Microsoft's sites to
> download it.
>
> I did a complete virus scan, ran AdAware, Spybot S & D, and made sure
> that all were updated, and updated Spyware Blaster. What is causing
> links to go dead, and denial of access to Antivirus and Microsoft
> updates?

PuppyKatt

How do I check the Hosts file? Where is it?
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: >Suddenly, without warning, I cannot click on most links in mail and
: >news. Also, even when using my adress bar an manually typing in
: >addresses, I cannot go to ANY Microsoft web page. I always get the
: >"Page cannot be displayed" error page. I have not changed any of my
: >seurity settings. I attempted to update my antivirus protection, and
: >that does not work, either; it just hangs while looking for updates.
: >was thinking of trying to uninstall IE and OE, then re-installing
them,
: >but that would be useless if I can't get to any of Microsoft's sites
: >download it.
: >
: >I did a complete virus scan, ran AdAware, Spybot S & D, and made sure
: >that all were updated, and updated Spyware Blaster. What is causing
: >links to go dead, and denial of access to Antivirus and Microsoft
: >updates?
: >
:
:
: Check your 'HOSTS' file. A virus might have changed entries for the
: AV sites & Micro$ofts to 127.0.0.1 (loopback IP).
:
:
:
:
: -Graham
:
: Remove the 'snails' from my email

PuppyKatt

I am sorry for not making my problem more-nearly clear. I CANNOT CLICK
ON ANY LINKS. I CANNOT CUT AND PASTE THESE LINKS INTO MY ADDRESS BAR.
I CANNOT MANUALLY TYPE IN THE ADDRESSES THAT YOU PROVIDED. ALL I GET
REGARDLESS OF HOW I ATTEMPT TO GET TO A MICROSOFT PAGE OF ANY KIND IS "
Page cannot be displayed."
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=177054
:
: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=176581
:
[...]
: --
: Basic computer maintenance
: http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

DC

PuppyKatt wrote:

[...]

> How do I check the Hosts file? Where is it?

That depends on which OS you use, PK.

Win 98 -- file:/mnt/win_c/WINDOWS/hosts

Win XP -- file:/mnt/win_c/WINDOWS/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Linux -- file:/etc/hosts

Mac OS -- who cares. }:O)

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
of nothing.

G. Morgan

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:47:04 -0500 "PuppyKatt"
used 37 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

>How do I check the Hosts file? Where is it?

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

Open it with notepad.

It should look like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host
name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

If it doesn't look exactly like this then edit it.

To confirm my hunch goto:

http://207.46.250.252/ (Microsoft)

if that works, then your DNS is getting screwed up.

you can get IP's yourself by going to the DNS lookup tool:

http://69.72.176.180/lookup.html?

-Graham

Remove the 'snails' from my email

pcbutts1

Did you run repair from the control panel. Cut and paste those links, or
type them in the run box, start>run. See if that works.

"PuppyKatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qajbd.128$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> : >news. Also, even when using my adress bar an manually typing in
> : >addresses, I cannot go to ANY Microsoft web page. I always get the
> : >"Page cannot be displayed" error page. I have not changed any of my
> : >seurity settings. I attempted to update my antivirus protection, and
> : >that does not work, either; it just hangs while looking for updates.
> : >was thinking of trying to uninstall IE and OE, then re-installing
> them,
> : >but that would be useless if I can't get to any of Microsoft's sites
> : >download it.
> : >
> : >I did a complete virus scan, ran AdAware, Spybot S & D, and made sure
> : >that all were updated, and updated Spyware Blaster. What is causing
> : >links to go dead, and denial of access to Antivirus and Microsoft

Mine reads exatly as you said it should. Neither of the links you
provided work; I get the page cannot be displayed thing for both. How
can I "repair" IE in XP? I remember in Windows '98, going into
Add/Remove Programs, if you tried to uninstall IE, you were given the
repair option, but does that also wirk with XP Home?

"G. Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 18:47:04 -0500 "PuppyKatt"
: used 37 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
:
: >How do I check the Hosts file? Where is it?
:
:
: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc
:
: Open it with notepad.
:
: It should look like this:
:
: # Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
: #
: