Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > - Need help with Windows Explorer Folders

- Need help with Windows Explorer Folders

mary wei

Hello Everybody,

My Windows Explorer will not keep the "Details" mode for viewing file
folders. Everyitme I open Windows Explorer it keeps going back to
"Large Icons" I then go to "View/Details" to reset it. However when I
close and then reopen the program, it goes back to "Large Icons".

The left frame of the Windows Explorer screen is empty. There is no
directory in it. I can close that portion of the window by clicking
the "X" in the upper right corner. However, with a single window, I
have no view of the overall directory.

How can I get the frame with the directory in it back?

How can I get Windows Explorer to accept "Details" as the default
view?

Thanks so much!

zum

Not too sure about the first part but setting Details as the default is
done as follows

Pick any directory and set it up as details

Go to tools on the menu bar

Select folder options

Click on the View Tab

You will then have a load of tick boxes
Ignore these but above them

"You can set all of your folder to the same view" under which two boxes

Click on "like current Folder"

This should set them all to details....

"mary wei" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello Everybody,
>
> My Windows Explorer will not keep the "Details" mode for viewing file
> folders. Everyitme I open Windows Explorer it keeps going back to
> "Large Icons" I then go to "View/Details" to reset it. However when I
> close and then reopen the program, it goes back to "Large Icons".
>
> The left frame of the Windows Explorer screen is empty. There is no
> directory in it. I can close that portion of the window by clicking
> the "X" in the upper right corner. However, with a single window, I
> have no view of the overall directory.
>
> How can I get the frame with the directory in it back?
>
> How can I get Windows Explorer to accept "Details" as the default
> view?
>
> Thanks so much!

dadiOH

mary wei wrote:
> The left frame of the Windows Explorer screen is empty. There is no
> directory in it. I can close that portion of the window by clicking
> the "X" in the upper right corner. However, with a single window, I
> have no view of the overall directory.
>
> How can I get the frame with the directory in it back?

View
Explorer Bar
Check "Folders"

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

mary wei

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:23:06 -0400, "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>mary wei wrote:
>> The left frame of the Windows Explorer screen is empty. There is no
>> directory in it. I can close that portion of the window by clicking
>> the "X" in the upper right corner. However, with a single window, I
>> have no view of the overall directory.
>>
>> How can I get the frame with the directory in it back?

>View
> Explorer Bar
> Check "Folders"

Thanks, that got me part of the way there. It put the frame for the
directory back in, but the frame was empty. There was no directory.

Any ideas on what may have happened to the directory?

dadiOH

mary wei wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:23:06 -0400, "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> mary wei wrote:
>>> The left frame of the Windows Explorer screen is empty. There is
>>> no directory in it. I can close that portion of the window by
>>> clicking the "X" in the upper right corner. However, with a
>>> single window, I have no view of the overall directory.
>>>
>>> How can I get the frame with the directory in it back?

>> View
>> Explorer Bar
>> Check "Folders"

> ================================================== ====
> Thanks, that got me part of the way there. It put the frame for the
> directory back in, but the frame was empty. There was no directory.
>
> Any ideas on what may have happened to the directory?

*What* directory...WinExplorer shows you all of them on the drive (once you
expand them)

--
dadiOH
_____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
____________________________

mary wei

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:10:17 -0400, "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>mary wei wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 17:23:06 -0400, "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:

>>> View
>>> Explorer Bar
>>> Check "Folders"

>> ================================================== ====
>> Thanks, that got me part of the way there. It put the frame for the
>> directory back in, but the frame was empty. There was no directory.
>>
>> Any ideas on what may have happened to the directory?

>*What* directory...WinExplorer shows you all of them on the drive (once you
>expand them)

When I go to View/Explorer bar and check folders, the existing window
splits adding a frame on the left side where the whole directory
structure for my hard drive, "C:" should appear. However, it is just
an empty frame. If I go to View/Explorer bar and check favorites, the
favorites appear in the left frame. But if I go back to View/Explorer
bar and check folders, the left frame resizes slightly but the
favorites remain and it doesn't change to folders. I tried copying
the windows explorer program from an another machine to this machine,
but the same thing happens.

The other thing that is happening is the Windows Explorer window comes
up less than full screen size. If I resize it and close the program,
the next time it comes up, it is small again. How can I have it come
up the same size it was when I last used the program?

Thanks for your help!

dadiOH

mary wei wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 19:10:17 -0400, "dadiOH" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>> mary wei wrote:

>>> ================================================== ====
>>> Thanks, that got me part of the way there. It put the frame for
>>> the directory back in, but the frame was empty. There was no
>>> directory.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what may have happened to the directory?

>> *What* directory...WinExplorer shows you all of them on the drive
>> (once you expand them)

> ================================================== =========
> When I go to View/Explorer bar and check folders, the existing
> window splits adding a frame on the left side where the whole
> directory structure for my hard drive, "C:" should appear.
> However, it is just an empty frame. If I go to View/Explorer bar
> and check favorites, the favorites appear in the left frame. But
> if I go back to View/Explorer bar and check folders, the left frame
> resizes slightly but the favorites remain and it doesn't change to
> folders. I tried copying the windows explorer program from an
> another machine to this machine, but the same thing happens.
>
> The other thing that is happening is the Windows Explorer window
> comes up less than full screen size. If I resize it and close the
> program, the next time it comes up, it is small again. How can I
> have it come up the same size it was when I last used the program?

What you did should work. Judging from the fact that it doesn't - and that
you get no directories in Windows Explorer in the explorer window - it would
seem that Explorer is broken (just copying from another machine won't fix
it).

Try going...
Start
Settings
Folder options...
File types tab

Skim down the list to "Folder" (NOT "File Folder"), select it and click
"Edit". In the bottom portion in the "Actions" window there should be two
entries..."explore" and "open". Select "explore", click the "Set Default"
button and OK your way out.

Now open Explorer and try...
View
Explorer Bar
Check "Folders"

Any better?
_____________________________

If not, you might try repairing Internet Explorer (it and WinExplorer are
inter-related). To do so...
Control Panel
Add/Remove Programs
Microsoft Internet Explorer
"Remove" button

That will give you a popup offering options including "Repair".

If that doesn't fix stuff the next step would be to re-install Windows on
top of itself. But before attempting that I'd explore the MS support pages
for a solution, maybe Google for one, post to alt.windows98. You could also
run SFC (system file checker) to see if you are missing anything.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.0...