Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Password protected Bios

Password protected Bios

Johno

A friend has just been given a pc from his place of work.
It is a Tiny pc 333 Celeron.
It had win 2k installed,but he decided to wipe the hard drive and install
windows 98se.Everytime he tried to format the hard drive a message came up
saying there was no fixed disk present or he needed special drivers for the
hard disk.
I had a look at it myself and found the Bios was password protected.Not
having the password or a manual for the motherboard,i tried resetting the
jumpers then removing the cmos battery.
..This enabled me to get into the bios but the "change user password" box was
greyed out.Does anyone have any info how i can clear the password so i can
install win 98.

Buffalo

"Johno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsqabd.44102$(E-Mail Removed) k...
> A friend has just been given a pc from his place of work.
> It is a Tiny pc 333 Celeron.
> It had win 2k installed,but he decided to wipe the hard drive and

install
> windows 98se.Everytime he tried to format the hard drive a message

came up
> saying there was no fixed disk present or he needed special drivers

for the
> hard disk.
> I had a look at it myself and found the Bios was password

protected.Not
> having the password or a manual for the motherboard,i tried

resetting the
> jumpers then removing the cmos battery.
> .This enabled me to get into the bios but the "change user password"

box was
> greyed out.Does anyone have any info how i can clear the password so

i can
> install win 98.

Try removing the battery for around 1/2 hour and try again.(jumper the
reset for a short time when the batter is out)

xmp

Buffalo wrote:

>>install win 98.

> Try removing the battery for around 1/2 hour and try again.(jumper the
> reset for a short time when the batter is out)

i had a couple of IBM's that i couldn't figure how to get past the bios.
another computer was fine after battery was removed for a few minutes.
also i've heard of people shorting the battery connector leads, which
should discharge a cap. it may be risky.

i'd also look for jumpers. and google bios cracking for tools if that
doesn't pan out.

michael

Hamman

"Johno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsqabd.44102$(E-Mail Removed) k...
>A friend has just been given a pc from his place of work.
> It is a Tiny pc 333 Celeron.
> It had win 2k installed,but he decided to wipe the hard drive and install
> windows 98se.Everytime he tried to format the hard drive a message came up
> saying there was no fixed disk present or he needed special drivers for
> the
> hard disk.
> I had a look at it myself and found the Bios was password protected.Not
> having the password or a manual for the motherboard,i tried resetting the
> jumpers then removing the cmos battery.
> .This enabled me to get into the bios but the "change user password" box
> was
> greyed out.Does anyone have any info how i can clear the password so i can
> install win 98.

See if you can find a newer BIOS for the machine (or even the same one) and
re-flash the chip. Since the memory addresses change, all values are lost
including the password.

hamman

Pennywise

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:52:29 GMT, "Johno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|>This enabled me to get into the bios but the "change user password" box was
|>greyed out.Does anyone have any info how i can clear the password so i can
|>install win 98.

Check out www.ElfQrin.com/docs/biospw.html

Lady Chatterly

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Pennywise <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:52:29 GMT, "Johno" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>|>This enabled me to get into the bios but the "change user password" box was
>|>greyed out.Does anyone have any info how i can clear the password so i can
>|>install win 98.
>
>Check out www.ElfQrin.com/docs/biospw.html

Oh my. What a cute little name for such a dirty little thing. So tell
me. Do you put a sock on it and make puppet shows when the lights are
out? No? Not big enough to throw a shadow you say? Tsk.

--
Lady Chatterly

"Hey everyone! Luciferious and Lady C. ... Two people who are not
playing with full decks. This is a match made in heaven! ....well
maybe somewhere besides heaven... " -- Bob Abendroth