Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Microsoft Does It Again!

Microsoft Does It Again!

DC

EW wrote:

> "Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Six new critical updates:

>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx

>> Happy Patching!

> Upgrade to XP SP-2 and you won't have to worry.

> Or get an Apple, and have to worry about NOT having Windows!

Yeah, you'd think so, wouldn't you?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19056

Neener. }:OP

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
of nothing.

Buffalo

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Six new critical updates:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/default.mspx
>
> Happy Patching!

There was only one critical update for my Win98SE.

PuppyKatt

Hi Scrote. I still do not know why I could not access MS or McAfee, but the
only solution was a complete format and re=installation of XP. Needless to
say, I lost EVERYTHING. Could not even do a repair; when I tried that, all
I got was a blnk desktop. No wallpaper, taskbar, nothing happened when I
right-clicked; nothing happened when I hit CAD. I finally restarted via the
reset button on the tower, clicked F* until I was able to get to the Format
option. This time, when I formatted, I also created an extra partition so
that if that ever happens again, I loose windows an the installed programs,
but not the zipped and exe files for re-installing programs, and not my
songs and other files.

"Scrote" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> PuppyKatt wrote:
>>> "PC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:bE2bd.53$(E-Mail Removed)...

>>> How? I cannot get to Microsoft ANYTHING. I tried using the Update
>>> link in the start menu, I tried typing it into my address bar, I
>>> tried clicking links that were posted here, but all I get, after a
>>> very long delay, is the "page cannot be displayed" page. Hell, I
>>> cant even go to msn.com, or hotmail.com., and I can't update my
>>> antivirus. What the heck is going on?

> Works OK here. (UK)
>
> --
> Nothing is impossible for the person who doesn't have to do it
> themselves.

Scrote

PuppyKatt wrote:
>> Hi Scrote. I still do not know why I could not access MS or McAfee,
>> but the only solution was a complete format and re=installation of
>> XP. Needless to say, I lost EVERYTHING. Could not even do a
>> repair; when I tried that, all I got was a blnk desktop. No
>> wallpaper, taskbar, nothing happened when I right-clicked; nothing
>> happened when I hit CAD. I finally restarted via the reset button
>> on the tower, clicked F* until I was able to get to the Format
>> option. This time, when I formatted, I also created an extra
>> partition so that if that ever happens again, I loose windows an the
>> installed programs, but not the zipped and exe files for
>> re-installing programs, and not my songs and other files.

On the bright side, a clean updated install and a lesson learned re
backup!