Velocity Reviews > General Computer Discussion > Hardware > Video card Upgrading

Video card Upgrading

Poppn Poppn is offline
Junior Member

as of now, ive got an ati radeon 9200 pci. im lookin for something more powerful, but the only thing is im limited to pci my question is whats the best pci card out there? and is it even worth upgradin considering im limited to pci? hopefully ill get my hands on a mobo with an agp slot soon enough

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

... u need AGP at least for something good

stlava stlava is offline
Senior Member
stlava's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by unholy
... u need AGP at least for something good
Ya anything pci video is just a waste of money and just doesn't work well.

SlipSand SlipSand is offline
Junior Member

^^ What they said. And now AGP is going to be dated.

PUTALE PUTALE is offline
Senior Member

what's your system specs, maybe upgrade a new mobo and gfx is worth the money. I dont think there's that many pci gfx card out there.
heck agp is dying too, if you are upgrading, why just do a complete upgrade to pcie.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

But that normally means CPU change then he will need a whole new system, lets be nice and say new mobo (AGP unless u have the money for a Full upgrade) and a Good Video Card
AGP isn't that outa date.... still exists rite?

zachig zachig is offline
Senior Member

AGP is not out of date, YET. But it is SURE going to be outdated pretty soon.
I guess that in a year from now (but this is only MY opinion), ONLY PCI-E mobos will be available on the market.
My suggestion, you should upgrade to (at least) an AGP mobo (if you want to use a decent video card), especially that nowadays, mobos with AGP are pretty cheap (compared to PCI-E mobos).
GOOD LUCK.

unholy unholy is offline
Senior Member
Location: Australia

Goot old SKt A Board range from 50-80 AU dollars oer here , and 478 not far off that , think about getting a Desent but not too expensive video card, i recommend a 9550 for Low price reasonably performance, a FX5200 for normal price, not to sweet performance, a 9600xt/pro ether is ok(pro is good) and if ur the type of guy which has mula to burn then go get some PCI-E into your life , and possible a 6800gt or a x800xt or go wild and get a 7800gtx

ww_crimson ww_crimson is offline
Member

9200 is the best PCI card you can buy I believe. My friend has the same problem -- go go dells

Poppn Poppn is offline
Junior Member

it was basically a budget compaq pc, but since then ive put about 250 bucks into it over the past year (i dont have much money to spend) P4 2.8ghz, used to have 128mb of ram but have since upgraded to 512, and bought the 9200 about a year ago. it runs call of duty on medium at a decent 30-40 fps (thats decent for me). ive recently installed swat 4, runs that like a charm on medium. Ive gotten into overclockin the card, but so far ive only increased 20mhz on mem and 15mhz on core, still need to bring up and test more for stability. but yea, i dont see an upgrade in the future for a whole new system, but if i can get a job over the summer ill be able to afford a new mobo with agp