Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Oct 12: Three new critical IE security holes found

Oct 12: Three new critical IE security holes found

Bruce the Shark

From http://tinyurl.com/4p3ao (ie.
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+warns+...tag=nefd.top):

"Microsoft published 10 software security advisories on Tuesday, warning
Windows users and corporate administrators of 22 new flaws that affect the
company's products. The advisories, and patches published with the
bulletins, range from an 'important' flaw affecting only Microsoft Windows
NT Server to a collection of eight security holes, including three rated
'critical,' that leave Internet Explorer open to attack."

Three more critical IE security holes? Try Firefox instead:

Fuzzy Logic

"Bruce the Shark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:416c3dd7$(E-Mail Removed):

> From http://tinyurl.com/4p3ao (ie.
> http://news.com.com/Microsoft+warns+...flaws/2100-100
> 2_3-5406550.html?tag=nefd.top):
>
> "Microsoft published 10 software security advisories on Tuesday, warning
> Windows users and corporate administrators of 22 new flaws that affect
> the company's products. The advisories, and patches published with the
> bulletins, range from an 'important' flaw affecting only Microsoft
> Windows NT Server to a collection of eight security holes, including
> three rated 'critical,' that leave Internet Explorer open to attack."
>
> Three more critical IE security holes? Try Firefox instead:
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

So I should change to Firefox because 3 holes in IE have been plugged? I
guess the next time a critical flaw in Firefox is found and fixed I should
suggest you switch to IE!

There will continue to be new flaws discovered in IE as well as Firefox.
It's important to use a well supported browser that YOU like and lock it
down and keep it patched. Switching will not suddenly make you invincible on
the net. Security is a process, not a particular piece of software. I
particularily like this quote:

"Yet simply switching is not an effective security solution. Only if you use
the proper security tools and remain vigilant about staying up to date and
cautious about what you do online should you start to feel some sense of
comfort."

source <http://www.pcmag.com/print_article/0,1761,a=130479,00.asp>

KHaled

== deleted ==

When a "hole" is discovered in IE, does that also affect clones
such as maxthon, avante, etc. ?

TIA,
KH.

WormWood

No.

"KHaled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns958158E215FDFkhaledlocalhost@130.133.1.4.. .
| == deleted ==
|
| When a "hole" is discovered in IE, does that also affect clones
| such as maxthon, avante, etc. ?
|
| TIA,
| KH.

SchroedingerzKat

>When a "hole" is discovered in IE, does that also affect clones
>such as maxthon, avante, etc. ?

Probably. there is one program called QwikFix that locks down the My Computer
Zone. Also SP2 XP2 really helps security in general.

there was one exploit that was in Mozilla, Opera, and IE. basically it hit
every browser on windows except text ones like lynx or scriptless ones like
Amaya.

I bet a lot of less exploits get posted cause of SP2.

QwikFix is free till the end of the month i think.

michael

Aaron

KHaled <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Xns958158E215FDFkhaledlocalhost@
130.133.1.4:

> == deleted ==
>
> When a "hole" is discovered in IE, does that also affect clones
> such as maxthon, avante, etc. ?

Generally yes. So you still need to update.

> TIA,
> KH.

Klaatu

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:10:33 GMT, WormWood posted to alt.comp.freeware:

> "KHaled" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns958158E215FDFkhaledlocalhost@130.133.1.4.. .
> |
> | When a "hole" is discovered in IE, does that also affect clones
> | such as maxthon, avante, etc. ?
>
> No.

Huh?!? I believe the answer is that, in many if not most cases, yes.

But a better answer could be: it depends.

Bruce the Shark

KHaled wrote:

> When a "hole" is discovered in IE, does that also affect clones
> such as maxthon, avante, etc. ?

Of course! They're based on IE's code, so if something in IE needs
fixing, then so do they. They're called "piggyback" apps.

Bruce the Shark

Fuzzy Logic wrote:

> So I should change to Firefox because 3 holes in IE have been plugged?

I'd recommend it. Too many critical flaws keep getting found in IE.
The flaws in Firefox are not usually critical, according to Secunia.com.
The point of my post was: IE keeps getting critical updates, whereas
Firefox doesn't... now decide which is better.

> I guess the next time a critical flaw in Firefox is found and fixed
> I should suggest you switch to IE!

See above. Critical flaws in Firefox are extremely rare.

Tim Weaver

Bruce the Shark wrote:
> KHaled wrote:
>
>> When a "hole" is discovered in IE, does that also affect clones such
>> as maxthon, avante, etc. ?

> Of course! They're based on IE's code, so if something in IE needs
> fixing, then so do they. They're called "piggyback" apps.

That's misleading. When IE gets patched, any IE front-end will be patched,
as well. They're not *based* on IE's HTML engine, they *use* it.
--
Tim Weaver

Re: Three Mobile --> Skype on three (Non-three [Symbian - Nokia] handsets) Harry Stottle UK VOIP 0 01-05-2010 08:59 AM
Using template in safety-critical system (flight critical system) aeromarine C++ 15 02-18-2008 09:09 AM
Three more security holes in IE Imhotep Computer Security 0 03-27-2006 02:14 PM
Security Holes Michael O'Keefe Firefox 2 03-02-2005 08:21 PM
Check for security loop holes Ravi Computer Security 15 12-23-2003 09:06 AM

Advertisments