Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > win98se freezes

win98se freezes

Smoker

"n8s0k" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,fellas: this one has me up a tree. I'm running win98se on a five year

old
> gateway essential 550 with only 193MGs of ram and a 10GB harddrive. Here's
> the problem. regardless of what I'm doing winwill freeze up and even the
> ctrl,alt,del shows a complete blank.Nothing.
> this could happen immediately after logon or it could take a half hour
> before it freezes.also If I walk away and leave it idle for ten minutes it
> will freeze. and what really has me stumped is when I reboot I

usually,but
> not always, have to reset my "hide the taskbar" settings. It's not CPU

temp.
> because I have the case open and a big fan blowing directly into the case.
> I've tried several google suggestions to no avail. the only possible
> solution I can come up with is more ram. I would appreciate it if someone
> could come up with a solution.

TIA.........................................

Not long ago my Win98, 1.4GB, 512MB RAM, was doing something similar. I had
to reinstall my extra taskbar everytime I booted including the settings like
Auto-Hide. Don't recall what I did to fix it if anything, maybe reinstalled
Windows or it was one of those things that fixed itself or just went away.
How much dust is inside your case? Maybe a registry setting got offset.

docmill

"n8s0k" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,fellas: this one has me up a tree. I'm running win98se on a five
> year old gateway essential 550 with only 193MGs of ram and a 10GB
> harddrive. Here's the problem. regardless of what I'm doing winwill
> freeze up and even the ctrl,alt,del shows a complete blank.Nothing.
> this could happen immediately after logon or it could take a half hour
> before it freezes.also If I walk away and leave it idle for ten
> minutes it will freeze. and what really has me stumped is when I
> reboot I usually,but not always, have to reset my "hide the taskbar"
> settings. It's not CPU temp. because I have the case open and a big
> fan blowing directly into the case. I've tried several google
> suggestions to no avail. the only possible solution I can come up with
> is more ram. I would appreciate it if someone could come up with a
> solution. TIA.........................................

Have you changed the video card or updated the drivers? Bios upgrade?
If not, you could have some malware, try an online cleaner.

--
+++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

n8s0k

Hi,fellas: this one has me up a tree. I'm running win98se on a five year old
gateway essential 550 with only 193MGs of ram and a 10GB harddrive. Here's
the problem. regardless of what I'm doing winwill freeze up and even the
ctrl,alt,del shows a complete blank.Nothing.
this could happen immediately after logon or it could take a half hour
before it freezes.also If I walk away and leave it idle for ten minutes it
will freeze. and what really has me stumped is when I reboot I usually,but
not always, have to reset my "hide the taskbar" settings. It's not CPU temp.
because I have the case open and a big fan blowing directly into the case.
I've tried several google suggestions to no avail. the only possible
solution I can come up with is more ram. I would appreciate it if someone
could come up with a solution. TIA.........................................

10_4

A weak or bad power supply can cause this. Check the voltage output of your
power supply to see if you are getting a steady 12+ volts on the Molex. If
you do not know how to do this then please get a qualified technician to
check it for you.

Could be corrupt files too. But I vote for the PS first.

Good luck!

"n8s0k" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,fellas: this one has me up a tree. I'm running win98se on a five year

old
> gateway essential 550 with only 193MGs of ram and a 10GB harddrive. Here's
> the problem. regardless of what I'm doing winwill freeze up and even the
> ctrl,alt,del shows a complete blank.Nothing.
> this could happen immediately after logon or it could take a half hour
> before it freezes.also If I walk away and leave it idle for ten minutes it
> will freeze. and what really has me stumped is when I reboot I

usually,but
> not always, have to reset my "hide the taskbar" settings. It's not CPU

temp.
> because I have the case open and a big fan blowing directly into the case.
> I've tried several google suggestions to no avail. the only possible
> solution I can come up with is more ram. I would appreciate it if someone
> could come up with a solution.

TIA.........................................

Atreju

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 01:08:08 -0500, "n8s0k" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,fellas: this one has me up a tree. I'm running win98se on a five year old
>gateway essential 550 with only 193MGs of ram and a 10GB harddrive. Here's
>the problem. regardless of what I'm doing winwill freeze up and even the
>ctrl,alt,del shows a complete blank.Nothing.
>this could happen immediately after logon or it could take a half hour
>before it freezes.also If I walk away and leave it idle for ten minutes it
>will freeze. and what really has me stumped is when I reboot I usually,but
>not always, have to reset my "hide the taskbar" settings. It's not CPU temp.
>because I have the case open and a big fan blowing directly into the case.
>I've tried several google suggestions to no avail. the only possible
>solution I can come up with is more ram. I would appreciate it if someone
>could come up with a solution. TIA.........................................

The most likely causes that come to mind are:
1. Device Drivers - update all your device drivers to the latest
manufacturer's driver - especially the display, audio, network, and
any constantly-running device.
2. Bad software running - this is surely not too easy to check out,
but look in your Startup folder and your Registry keys where things
are auto-loaded
(HKLM&HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Winows\CurrentVersio n\Run)
Sometimes a single product that is flawed can cause the symptoms you
describe.

HTH.

---Atreju---