Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > "A" Drive not reconized

"A" Drive not reconized

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I recently went to reintsall an old program I Had saved on a 3-1/2"
floppy disk and found I can't get my system to recognize anything in
the A drive. I know most systems now don't even ship with a floppy
drive, but I had one so I installed it when I built a new computer a
while back. I have some old stuff on floppies so I wanted access to
it. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've checked the connections and both
the data cable and power cable seem fine. The power light on the drive
comes on when a disk is inserted, but anything I put in, I get the
message to "Insert a disk in drive A". The drive shows up in Windows
Explorer, so I can't figure the problem out. Any suggestions other
than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

> I recently went to reintsall an old program I Had saved on a 3-1/2"
> floppy disk and found I can't get my system to recognize anything in
> the A drive. I know most systems now don't even ship with a floppy
> drive, but I had one so I installed it when I built a new computer a
> while back. I have some old stuff on floppies so I wanted access to
> it. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've checked the connections and both
> the data cable and power cable seem fine. The power light on the drive
> comes on when a disk is inserted, but anything I put in, I get the
> message to "Insert a disk in drive A". The drive shows up in Windows
> Explorer, so I can't figure the problem out. Any suggestions other
> than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
> burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.

What if you try a different drive?

TT

You said the connections are fine...did you turn the drive cable
around in the back, in case pin 1 is not in line with pin 1 on the
cable. I have installed lots of FDD's and when i get the cable turned
around, it seems to work OK, but just won't...most of the time the light
will stay on all the time as well...other than that-floppy drives are dirt
cheap-find a used one for less than $10-but I don't know if you have
anyone nearby that sells used components...even new ones are cheap...

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:37:04 -0400, <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I recently went to reintsall an old program I Had saved on a 3-1/2"
> floppy disk and found I can't get my system to recognize anything in
> the A drive. I know most systems now don't even ship with a floppy
> drive, but I had one so I installed it when I built a new computer a
> while back. I have some old stuff on floppies so I wanted access to
> it. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've checked the connections and both
> the data cable and power cable seem fine. The power light on the drive
> comes on when a disk is inserted, but anything I put in, I get the
> message to "Insert a disk in drive A". The drive shows up in Windows
> Explorer, so I can't figure the problem out. Any suggestions other
> than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
> burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I could do that but I'd have to buy one. No big deal if I did.

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> I recently went to reintsall an old program I Had saved on a 3-1/2"
>> floppy disk and found I can't get my system to recognize anything in
>> the A drive. I know most systems now don't even ship with a floppy
>> drive, but I had one so I installed it when I built a new computer a
>> while back. I have some old stuff on floppies so I wanted access to
>> it. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've checked the connections and both
>> the data cable and power cable seem fine. The power light on the drive
>> comes on when a disk is inserted, but anything I put in, I get the
>> message to "Insert a disk in drive A". The drive shows up in Windows
>> Explorer, so I can't figure the problem out. Any suggestions other
>> than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
>> burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.
>>

>What if you try a different drive?

Atlas Shrugged

The power light should not come on when a floppy is inserted into the drive.
Only when the drive is being read from or written to.

Check you BIOS to make sure that the floppy drive is activated or that the
correct letter is assigned.

Go do Device Manager and check out the floppy drive controller and drive is
working properly.

Check out another floppy drive. The one installed may be defective.

Paul

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I recently went to reintsall an old program I Had saved on a 3-1/2"
> floppy disk and found I can't get my system to recognize anything in
> the A drive. I know most systems now don't even ship with a floppy
> drive, but I had one so I installed it when I built a new computer a
> while back. I have some old stuff on floppies so I wanted access to
> it. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've checked the connections and both
> the data cable and power cable seem fine. The power light on the drive
> comes on when a disk is inserted, but anything I put in, I get the
> message to "Insert a disk in drive A". The drive shows up in Windows
> Explorer, so I can't figure the problem out. Any suggestions other
> than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
> burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.

John Dean

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I recently went to reintsall an old program I Had saved on a 3-1/2"
> floppy disk and found I can't get my system to recognize anything in
> the A drive. I know most systems now don't even ship with a floppy
> drive, but I had one so I installed it when I built a new computer a
> while back. I have some old stuff on floppies so I wanted access to
> it. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I've checked the connections and both
> the data cable and power cable seem fine. The power light on the drive
> comes on when a disk is inserted, but anything I put in, I get the
> message to "Insert a disk in drive A". The drive shows up in Windows
> Explorer, so I can't figure the problem out. Any suggestions other
> than get rid of the old fashioned drive? (Which I plan to do if I can
> burn the old disks to CDs.) Thanks.

I have different problems with a floppy drive under XP but, again, it is
one I had included with a new computer build. I've chased this one round
support groups, Google and anywhere else I can think of. In most cases
the first (and sometimes only) responses are to check cables, wiring,
installation etc and try a new drive. What I have *never* seen is
someone who says 'I have a new machine with a floppy drive and I rune XP
and everything is fine - all my old floppies can be read and it's simple
to format and write to new floppies'. In other words, all the solutions
come from people who haven't actually had the same problem.
Many solutions are suggested but I think the simples is described in the
MS Knowledge Base at

"Windows XP supports formatting only the 1.44MB disk format. Three-mode
floppy drives (drives that are capable of reading/writing with 720KB,
1.2MB and 1.44MB 3.5" disks) requires special driver support, and
support for this feature is not included in Windows XP.

Some 3mode FD drivers may be installed on PCs with Windows XP by OEMs,
although Microsoft does not provide the end-user support for 3mode
drivers. Please contact your OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) if
you have any questions on 3mode drivers."

Which I take to mean that drives which are restricted to reading /
writing 1.44MB formats should be OK, but drives with built-in
versatility are not supported under XP and therefore even 1.44MB
floppies will not work in such a drive.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Grumble69

Well I'm one of those people with XP Pro that can't read floppy disks
either (even though they can be read on other machines). I'm trying
to shop around and find a drive that's strictly 1.44 to hopefully get
around this long, drawn out problem. It would be well worth the
expense. ....if I could find the damn thing. All I'm finding are
3-mode floppies. Can anyone point me to a drive that's known to work?

The mind-boggling thing is that ASR requires you to use a floppy. So
it's really weird that they don't support these devices yet require to
use them to back-up your data. Microsoft must be run by Catbert these
days.