Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I got some equipment does it make sense to start an ISP?

I got some equipment does it make sense to start an ISP?

william mook

I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
has since been upgraded.

What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
(if any) can I expect from it?

DC

> I'll be watching for your answer to your questions? Interesting!!

Who are you talking to?

http://home.online.no/~shughes/a57998/quote.html#001a

DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying
of nothing.

flomers@prodigy.net

I'll be watching for your answer to your questions? Interesting!!

Joe

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

william mook wrote:
> I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
> an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
> Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
> has since been upgraded.
>
> What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
> (if any) can I expect from it?

What are the needs for an ISP in your area? How much could you charge
and expect people to sign up? Are there any of the sub-$10/mo ISPs
operating there? Do you have experience running an ISP? I could go on.
Owning a few pieces of equipment is a long way from having a business
plan. Read everything you possibly can at this site:
http://www.isp-planet.com/
especially at this link:
http://isp-planet.com/business/index.html#plan

Blinky the Shark

william mook wrote:

> I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
> an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
> Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
> has since been upgraded.

> What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
> (if any) can I expect from it?

1. What will you offer that the other ISPs available in your area don't?

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

Go Double Blue - Wolverines and Dodgers

SgtMinor

That's 'inside-out' thinking, and rarely a succesful business concept.
"I've got a pickup truck and a lawn mower, should I go into the
landscaping business?"

'Outside-in' thinking, where you develop a service based on a perceived
need, has a greater chance of success.

As for returns, you'll need to develop a business plan.

And the system you bought was not 'upgraded' but deemed obsolete.

--
"But if you're in my area, I might sign up."

william mook wrote:

> I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
> an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
> Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
> has since been upgraded.
>
> What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
> (if any) can I expect from it?

Toolman Tim

SgtMinor, your final statement is the best advice given yet - after all, if
someone *else* found it to be no longer up to the task, why expect it to be
anything practical for this purpose?

In my opinion, the competition for his proposed ISP is probably too steep
for customers to want to pay even a budget price for service provided by
out-of-date equipment.

>| That's 'inside-out' thinking, and rarely a succesful business
>| concept. "I've got a pickup truck and a lawn mower, should I go into
>| the landscaping business?"
>|
>| 'Outside-in' thinking, where you develop a service based on a
>| perceived need, has a greater chance of success.
>|
>| As for returns, you'll need to develop a business plan.
>|
>| And the system you bought was not 'upgraded' but deemed obsolete.
>|
>| --
>| "But if you're in my area, I might sign up."
>|

>| william mook wrote:
>| >
>| > I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix
>| > server at an auction at a local college - complete with cables and
>| > so forth. Its configured to operate as a service provider for the
>| > college and has since been upgraded.
>| >
>| > What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
>| > (if any) can I expect from it?

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed) >, william
mook says...
> I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
> an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
> Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
> has since been upgraded.
>
> What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
> (if any) can I expect from it?

It'd need shitloads of bandwidth for a start, i.e a T1 or T3 line.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Conor

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Blinky the
Shark says...
> william mook wrote:
>
> > I got a Clariion 92 GB disk array, two mac 9200s, and a Unix server at
> > an auction at a local college - complete with cables and so forth.
> > Its configured to operate as a service provider for the college and
> > has since been upgraded.

> > What would it take to turn this into an ISP and what sort of return
> > (if any) can I expect from it?

> 1. What will you offer that the other ISPs available in your area don't?

Excellent bandwidth provided by his 1MB DSL...

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Toolman Tim

>| In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Blinky
>| the Shark says...

>| > 1. What will you offer that the other ISPs available in your area
>| > don't?
>| >
>| Excellent bandwidth provided by his 1MB DSL...

<vbg>

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~