Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > USB connectors

USB connectors

VOX POPULI

Sorry for being such a tyro, but are all USB connectors the same? I mean, I
have a camera and a Dell Jukebox that connect to the computer via USB, and
I'd like to know if I can use just one cable, or do they need to be switched
every time I use one or the other? Thank you for your patience.

Toolman Tim

>| Sorry for being such a tyro, but are all USB connectors the same? I
>| mean, I
>| have a camera and a Dell Jukebox that connect to the computer via
>| USB, and
>| I'd like to know if I can use just one cable, or do they need to be
>| switched
>| every time I use one or the other? Thank you for your patience.
>|

>************************************************* *******************************

There are several different types of USB connectors...but if a cable fits,
it's fine. I use my camera cable on my USB external hard drive all the time.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Andoson

Firsty champ, there are 2 usb types, there is the old usb1.1 which has
download speeds of 12mbps, these cables will generally not work with usb 2.0
devices, however sometimes they do however you will only pull 12mbps out of
the cable instead of the speed that the usb 2.0 uses which is 400mbps.
You also have multiple usb connectors, you have your standard usb a
connector which comes with most things like joysticks etc. Then you have
your b connectors which generally come with printers. Then you might have
your dual connector which will be usb a-b which are also used for printers.
Usb a-a cables are generally only used for extension. Then you have both
female and male versions of each connection. With regards to the camera, you
will find that this cable will be a usb a to usb mini 4 pin or mini 5 pin
connection.

So no you will not be able to use the same cable for all applications.
I hope that this has helped.

Cheers,

Ando
"VOX POPULI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kwI9d.9893$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> Sorry for being such a tyro, but are all USB connectors the same? I mean,

> have a camera and a Dell Jukebox that connect to the computer via USB, and
> I'd like to know if I can use just one cable, or do they need to be

switched
> every time I use one or the other? Thank you for your patience.

****

Franz Heymann

"Andoson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:416787af$0$10345$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> Firsty champ, there are 2 usb types, there is the old usb1.1 which

has
> download speeds of 12mbps, these cables will generally not work with

usb 2.0
> devices, however sometimes they do however you will only pull 12mbps

out of
> the cable instead of the speed that the usb 2.0 uses which is

400mbps.
> You also have multiple usb connectors, you have your standard usb a
> connector which comes with most things like joysticks etc. Then you

have
> your b connectors which generally come with printers. Then you might

have
> your dual connector which will be usb a-b which are also used for

printers.
> Usb a-a cables are generally only used for extension. Then you have

both
> female and male versions of each connection. With regards to the

camera, you
> will find that this cable will be a usb a to usb mini 4 pin or mini

5 pin
> connection.
>
> So no you will not be able to use the same cable for all

applications.
> I hope that this has helped.
>
> Cheers,

In fact, it sounds like a real dog's breakfast.

Franz

Physical connectors vos Cisco 5 02-11-2006 04:28 AM
JMX Connectors Virginie Legrand Java 1 05-04-2005 06:28 AM
PRI connectors Mimmus Cisco 1 04-22-2005 11:07 AM
ap350 Antenna connectors TheStranger Cisco 5 02-18-2005 05:31 AM
Tomcat 4.1.29 connectors on Linux problem ? Jan Kopinec \(IPS AG CH\) Java 0 01-22-2004 04:50 PM

Advertisments