Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Time for water to boil at altitude?

Reply
Thread Tools

Time for water to boil at altitude?

 
 
Liz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2004
"Franz Heymann" wrote:
> Like so many, the poster was chronically unable to be unambiguous.
> Because of the reduced boiling point at high altitude, the pot will
> come to the boil quicker, assuming equal power inputs. However,
> because of the lower boiling point at high altitude, food may have to
> remain at boiling temperature for longer to become "cooked" in the
> culinary sense.


Like you said, you are unable to be unambiguous.
Common sense or culinary sense, it is time and temperature
that does the cooking, at whatever altitude.

--
What a nice night for an evening.







 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Franz Heymann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2004

"Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7T3ad.4813$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Franz Heymann" wrote
> > "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:MHA9d.290160$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > > "Conor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > > > In article <2Gi9d.289831$(E-Mail Removed)>, Liz

> > says...
> > > > > "Dribbler" wrote
> > > > > > Watching a TV programme about the Himalayas, they

mentioned
> > water takes
> > > > > > longer to boil at altitude.
> > > > > > Why is this? I think it must be something to do with

pressure,
> > but why and
> > > > > > what is the principal?
> > > > >
> > > > > This is because the air pressure is lower at high

elevations.
> > > > > Water at sea level boils at 100C and freezes at 0 degrees.
> > > > > At higher elevations, where atmospheric pressure is lower,
> > > > > water's boiling temperature is lower, so it takes longer to
> > > > > boil or cook things.
> > > > >
> > > > Did you actually read that? The boiling point is lower thus

> > requiring
> > > > less heating up but it takes longer?
> > >
> > > Do you have trouble understanding food takes longer to cook
> > > at a lower temperature?

> >
> > That was not what you said. You have subtly tried to say

something
> > new now.

>
> If that is saying something new, you must be extremely lonely.


I suspect you need to hone your cognitive powers before replying to
posts.

Franz


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Franz Heymann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-10-2004

"Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b24ad.4816$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Franz Heymann" wrote:
> > Like so many, the poster was chronically unable to be unambiguous.
> > Because of the reduced boiling point at high altitude, the pot

will
> > come to the boil quicker, assuming equal power inputs. However,
> > because of the lower boiling point at high altitude, food may have

to
> > remain at boiling temperature for longer to become "cooked" in the
> > culinary sense.

>
> Like you said, you are unable to be unambiguous.


You underestimate my capabilities.
And don't snip the headers

> Common sense or culinary sense, it is time and temperature
> that does the cooking, at whatever altitude.


You are expressing yourself loosely again.

Franz

Franz


 
Reply With Quote
 
Liz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-11-2004
"Franz Heymann" wrote
>
> "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsSoad.292595$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > "Franz Heymann" wrote
> > >
> > > "Liz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:b24ad.4816$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > > "Franz Heymann" wrote:
> > > You underestimate my capabilities.

> >
> > Your arrogant, perhaps.

>
> I have not got an arrogant. Where may I get one?


You may get one at Sea level when your climbing rope snapped.






 
Reply With Quote
 
dmac1 dmac1 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
 
      05-01-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribbler View Post
Watching a TV programme about the Himalayas, they mentioned water takes
longer to boil at altitude.
Why is this? I think it must be something to do with pressure, but why and
what is the principal?
Thank you,
Dribbler
I noticed the same thing in Brekenridge Colorado: that is, even though water boilers at much lower temperature due to the altitude, it also takes longer for it to boil (the opposite of what you would expect). However, I reasoned, since in my case I was using a natural gas burner, the lack of oxygen in the air was causing the temperature of the fire to be lower and therefore causing it to take longer to boil the water.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is time.time() < time.time() always true? flamesrock Python 8 11-24-2006 06:51 AM
How do I abscess a boil? Frosty Computer Support 15 01-30-2006 01:26 PM
Thermaltake Water Level Indicator and Water Temperature ... Silverstrand Front Page News 2 07-03-2005 07:59 AM
How water resistant is a water resistant lens? Derek Fountain Digital Photography 2 03-18-2005 11:30 AM
OT - boil overs mark_digital Digital Photography 1 04-12-2004 08:39 PM



Advertisments