Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hard drives - Can I mix SATA and non-SATA?

John Smith

I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with a
SATA drive?
Thanks.

SPAMHATER

"John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:ck3554$6g0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with a
>SATA drive?
> Thanks.

Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

SPAMHATER

DevilsPGD

SPAMHATER wrote:
>>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
>>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with a
>>SATA drive?

> Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

Actually that is not correct -- This rule only applies to devices on the
same IDE cable (which isn't applicable to SATA at all, since you only
put one device per cable)

It will tend to apply if you're using RAID-1 or RAID-5 between drives of
varying speeds, but this isn't an especially common configuration.

--
The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have
their own.

Jimi

Well put across

DevilsPGD wrote:

> SPAMHATER wrote:
>
>>> I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two
>>> non SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA
>>> drives with a SATA drive?

>> Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

> Actually that is not correct -- This rule only applies to devices on the
> same IDE cable (which isn't applicable to SATA at all, since you only
> put one device per cable)
>
> It will tend to apply if you're using RAID-1 or RAID-5 between drives of
> varying speeds, but this isn't an especially common configuration.

John Smith

"SPAMHATER" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4165288a$0$90710$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "John Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:ck3554$6g0$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
>>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with
>>a SATA drive?
>> Thanks.
>>

> Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd
>
> SPAMHATER

--------------
OK, Thanks for comments.
John

SPAMHATER

"DevilsPGD" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> SPAMHATER wrote:
>>>I have a pc with motherboard supporting SATA. At the mo there are two non
>>>SATA hard drives connected. Can I replace one of the non-SATA drives with
>>>a SATA drive?

>> Yes you can, but youre speed is always the same as youre slowest hd/cd

> Actually that is not correct -- This rule only applies to devices on the
> same IDE cable (which isn't applicable to SATA at all, since you only put
> one device per cable)
>
> It will tend to apply if you're using RAID-1 or RAID-5 between drives of
> varying speeds, but this isn't an especially common configuration.
>
> --
> The nice thing about standards, there is enough for everyone to have their
> own.

Sorry little error of mine

SPAMHATER